Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
August 2011 General Discussion/Obs

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

found this interesting...nails south FL then takes a turn north..960mb hurricane hitting gulf shores, AL. The remnants make it due north into the MO bootheel with alot of rain at the end of the run, 988mb.

Also on the 12z run and was showing up yesterday too.

found this interesting...nails south FL then takes a turn north..960mb hurricane hitting gulf shores, AL. The remnants make it due north into the MO bootheel with alot of rain at the end of the run, 988mb.

Also on the 12z run and was showing up yesterday too.

Drought buster.

Dear weather gurus out there,

When will Denver ever get a height less than 5880 meters at 500mb?

Chinook

Edit:

As you can clearly see, my area averages 285K at 700mb.That is 12 C. Surface temperatures average high 84, low 57, that is 29C and 14C

post-1182-0-86758200-1313518518.gif

The August 16 average 500mb height is about 5875-5900 meters for my area (and should be around 5850 by August 31)

I just don't like these ensemble forecasts. It's all above normal.

post-1182-0-52591500-1313515927.gif

post-1182-0-07580100-1313515938.gif

post-1182-0-26851700-1313515949.gif

And for the next 8 days, the GFS predicts several 14 to 16 C days, putting our highs at 2 to 4 C above normal

post-1182-0-93119400-1313518757.gif

Yeah, I can't even remember getting many remnants of tropical systems; I think Hurricane (or Tropical Storm, I can't remember which) Florence in 1998 provided us with some rain, but other than that, I don't distinctly remember any tropical systems affecting us in any way.

Ike, Gustav, and Lowell in '08.

Yeah, I can't even remember getting many remnants of tropical systems; I think Hurricane (or Tropical Storm, I can't remember which) Florence in 1998 provided us with some rain, but other than that, I don't distinctly remember any tropical systems affecting us in any way.

Gets harder up that way. Usually anything that tries to make it recurves before reaching your latitude. Did you guys get fringed by Ike or was it a whiff to the south?

I say bring it on. Besides helping with the drought it would provide some relatively infrequent tropical excitement. It's always fun to watch these systems after they move inland.

Oh no doubt. Always exciting to see tropical remnants move through here or in the general region.

Remnants of hurricanes Ike and Gustav from 2008 for here. Though the heaviest of the rain stayed just to the west with both.

Gets harder up that way. Usually anything that tries to make it recurves before reaching your latitude. Did you guys get fringed by Ike or was it a whiff to the south?

It was actually Frances, my mistake, and that was probably about an inch or inch and a half. I think Ike was a whiff to the south. Looking at maps of the worst tropical systems to affect each state, it looks like Wisconsin and Michigan got their biggest impact from Candy back in the 1960s.

Oh no doubt. Always exciting to see tropical remnants move through here or in the general region.

Remnants of hurricanes Ike and Gustav from 2008 for here. Though the heaviest of the rain stayed just to the west with both.

Ike probably set the benchmark for remnant impacts in this region. The rain was one thing but the wind was the really impressive aspect. Granted it transitioned into an extratropical entity in its latter stages but you're not going to see a map like this very often.

at200809.gif

Ike probably set the benchmark for remnant impacts in this region. The rain was one thing but the wind was the really impressive aspect. Granted it transitioned into an extratropical entity in its latter stages but you're not going to see a map like this very often.

Yep, very impressive wind event this far inland.

LAF just missed the higher gusts, only topping out at 43 MPH.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=ind&storyid=18079&source=2

Yep, very impressive wind event this far inland.

LAF just missed the higher gusts, only topping out at 43 MPH.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=ind&storyid=18079&source=2

Yeah, we were sort of in between the heaviest rain and strongest winds.

Somebody should do a thread about noteworthy tropical remnants in the Midwest. There was Erin in Oklahoma a few years ago. Closer to home, there's been Carla (1961), Gilbert (1988), Dennis (2005), Gustav and Ike just to name a few.

Yeah, we were sort of in between the heaviest rain and strongest winds.

Somebody should do a thread about noteworthy tropical remnants in the Midwest. There was Erin in Oklahoma a few years ago. Closer to home, there's been Carla (1961), Gilbert (1988), Dennis (2005), Gustav and Ike just to name a few.

Done.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/23645-historical-tropical-remnants-in-the-midwest/

Archived