Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
August 2011 General Discussion/Obs

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that we're entering late August I'm starting to look forward to the first cold snap. Won't be long before we start to see 40s visit northern Illinois on a regular basis. It's been kind of a downer this season for storms here. First time in as long as I can remember we didn't get at least one storm to produce winds over 45mph. Not that I want damage or anything lol, but it's always nice to see a good storm blow through. Glad I got to see some nice storms out chasing earlier this season.

Sorry for the rambling, just kind of bored with this current weather pattern lol. :bag:

Now that we're entering late August I'm starting to look forward to the first cold snap. Won't be long before we start to see 40s visit northern Illinois on a regular basis. It's been kind of a downer this season for storms here. First time in as long as I can remember we didn't get at least one storm to produce winds over 45mph. Not that I want damage or anything lol, but it's always nice to see a good storm blow through. Glad I got to see some nice storms out chasing earlier this season.

Sorry for the rambling, just kind of bored with this current weather pattern lol. :bag:

Ditto for me, I'm getting excited right now over the prospects of a half inch of rain that has been advertised by the NAM and the GFS over the last day or two.

If a half inch of rain is exciting, it illustrates the pattern we have been in during the month so far.

Ditto for me, I'm getting excited right now over the prospects of a half inch of rain that has been advertised by the NAM and the GFS over the last day or two.

If a half inch of rain is exciting, it illustrates the pattern we have been in during the month so far.

and we get cocked over again.. at least I can hear the good thunder to the south :rolleyes:

cya's in fall if it ever comes.

Still no update on the DTW temperatures on August 16th. It really makes you consider the validity of our historical records and how often wrong temperatures get put into the climate histories. Might as well put a +1/-1 margin of error on monthly temperatures.

post-599-0-63629700-1313855782.png

post-599-0-81366900-1313855802.png

Haha, can rely on you to show up for some pessimism. I was just happy to get some rain. We still got at least a quarter inch per LOT's radar estimates.

Not even close to a quarter inch. Be lucky if the airport got a tenth.

Poor turtle is back to the desert of Madison while there is a TS/Cane to track back home.

Picked up 2.31" of rain with the line of storm here this morning.

ORD picked up 1.11"

Summer 2011 is now the 5th wettest on record at ORD/Chicago, with 18.39"

1. 23.48" - 1987

2. 20.28" - 1957

3. 20.15" - 1993

4. 18.92" - 1885

5. 18.39" - 2011

6. 18.38" - 1924

7. 17.82" - 2001

8. 17.45" - 1950

9. 16.81" - 2010

10. 16.22" - 1977

Poor turtle is back to the desert of Madison while there is a TS/Cane to track back home.

Agree totally with this point. We have been like a desert the last month or two, especially considering Chicago just to our south is getting the brunt of every storm.

Only because they measure incorrectly.:whistle: I find it hard to believe we've picked up less than 4 tenths of an inch this month when estimates have shown 1-2 inches these past few weeks across most of the SE part of the state. Even Madison recorded several tenths of an inch more.

Only because they measure incorrectly.:whistle: I find it hard to believe we've picked up less than 4 tenths of an inch this month when estimates have shown 1-2 inches these past few weeks across most of the SE part of the state. Even Madison recorded several tenths of an inch more.

It drizzled or very light rain for 45 mins...same ole same ole this month hence the low total at the airport this month. you very well could have had much more but not at this rain hole.

It drizzled or very light rain for 45 mins...same ole same ole this month hence the low total at the airport this month. you very well could have had much more but not at this rain hole.

I don't think heavy rain is in your vocabulary, is it? I mean, I would call it a moderate rain, yet you call it very light or drizzle. I don't really want to argue, but I think you understate everything. There would be no truly exciting weather event in your mind, would there. I'll leave it at that, I don't want to derail this thread.

This summer seems like a continuation of the winter here. The general pattern seems favorable for active weather, but time and time again, the action finds a way to miss us in every which direction. Ah well, time to turn the page...only 10 days left of met. summer :thumbsup:

Good to see you check in from time to time. I assume that you are going to be in the Toronto area again this winter. I know that you spoke of perhaps moving.

Good to see you check in from time to time. I assume that you are going to be in the Toronto area again this winter. I know that you spoke of perhaps moving.

Yes, unfortunately. Moving is predicated on finding a job and so far I've been unable to. Crappy degree + crappy economy is not a great combo. I'm hoping for some new winter scenery by 2012-13 though.

This summer seems like a continuation of the winter here. The general pattern seems favorable for active weather, but time and time again, the action finds a way to miss us in every which direction. Ah well, time to turn the page...only 10 days left of met. summer :thumbsup:

Not to sound like my negative nellie self but, that's why I'm not the least bit excited yet about this winter until something changes. Take away the Freak Blizzard and the last two winters would have been even worse than a Detroit style nickel and dime winter with a couple 6-7" storms thrown in.

Maybe an active cane season can fook with the pattern and switch things up a little bit.

Archived