Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
August 2011 General Discussion/Obs

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

22 degrees from freezing.....hey its below freezing aloft with a very shallow warm layer..even closer to snow :snowman:

btw put up my album on facebook of all the 181 images I saved from the blizzards haha.

Holy crap! 181? That should be fun to look through. Man I gotta start saving stuff like that lol.

Back in 2009 we had our first snow flurries on October 10th, which is now less than 2 months away! :snowman::weenie:

The monthly(weeklies) will be updated tomorrow.

The ensembles are very trough-ridge-trough-ridge....none of which sticks around too long.

Weeklies (monthly) are in...

This current pattern we are in continues into next week. A ridge then develops in the central states the middle of next week, while a trough hangs around in the East.

The Central US ridge then begins to retrograde into the West around the 21st, while the trough setup that was along the East Coast pushes farther west torwards the Mississippi Valley.

We then transition into a zonal flow/pattern to end the month and as we enter September.

Finally, we go back to a more cooler trough-ridge-trough-ridge pattern. Some of the troughs shown are actually deep/strong.

Just 0.78" of rainfall at IND since June 28th. In comparison, LAF has totaled 6.00" in that timeframe, MIE 4.28", HUF 2.62", BMG 2.37", EYE 2.18".

Tomorrow looks like a decent bet for IND to get a good rainfall. Fingers crossed...

I hope so..Rainfall has been so hit and miss..

I'm going to a Brewers game today and tailgating. Weather looks like it might be a bit iffy, especially for the game.

Love the Cardinals but your Brewers are playing unreal ball right now. Your starting pitching is awesome and the lineup is just stacked. Doug Melvin did a hell of a job with that team. Best of luck in the post season.

DVN points out the developing drought situation from southeast Iowa, through central Illinois into central Indiana.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=dvn&storyid=71874&source=0

Yeah, not good. I talked to one of the local farmers who has his operation about 30 miles south of here. They didn't get one "good" ear of corn from their last batch. Not one.

Here's the rainfall totals and departures since July 1st, through yesterday, across central Indiana...

Lafayette (LAF): 5.88" (+0.64")

Muncie (MIE): 4.28" (-1.39")

Terre Haute (HUF): 2.62" (-3.43")

Bloomington (BMG): 2.47" (-3.72")

Indianapolis Eagle Creek (EYE): 2.17" (-3.21")

Indianapolis (IND): 0.78" (-4.99")

No complaints from this guy about the t'storm action here in LAF in the first almost half of August. Three solid B+/A- events with high winds, pea size hail, and heavy rain.

0.71" today at LAF, bringing us up to 3.22" for the month...13.08" since June 1st. That's exactly double of what IND (6.54") has seen since June 1st. Brutal for them.

Rainfall totals/departures for the summer (June 1st through yesterday) for central Indiana after last night's storms...

IND: 6.93" (-3.18")

HUF: 7.25" (-3.32")

MIE: 8.62" (-1.80")

BMG: 9.00" (-2.17")

EYE: 9.03" (-0.84")

LAF: 13.21" (+3.76")

Getting close to spin-off thread worthy...

midwest_dm.png

It's August 15th, yet CLE is just 3" away from entering the top ten rainiest years on record and just 12" from all time rainiest. Shouldn't be that hard to achieve, even with normal rain the rest of the year. A 17" rainfall departure is going to be hard to wipe out.

another nice day outside today.

looking like a warmer pattern setting up by next week.

Big ridge out west via the Euro and GFS ensembles. Initially anyway, looks like most of us will be on periphery of the real warmth/heat versus what transpired from earlier death ridges.

Archived