wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
The SNE OBS Thread

ski MRG

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like winter there! Where'd you go?

K-mart special.

Yeah, no winter here, there's always winter for you. Let me continue to wah wah wah please.

A tropical 27.1 for me now.

Winter will come for everyone. Have no fear. It just starts earlier in some places than others.

Didn't opt out because of weather :lol: ... too much work/family stuff to take care of...

I've skiied in much colder, and if I went tonight my car would probably still be a little warm when done. No big deal.

Glad you had fun today Mr. Pete

HAHA, You sure made it sound like the cold was the determining factor. Quite cold for early December on the hill today. High of 9 on the Summit, very windy top to bottom. The snow was light and dry and we found lot's of stashes. Knee deep powder and at times in the wind drifted areas there were some waist deep shots. Even if this weekend storm should turn out tragically warm the cold/snow will move right back in and by Tuesday night it will just be a fading bad memory. From here North Winter lives. Even if it never snows again there are ways around it.

K-mart special.

Winter will come for everyone. Have no fear. It just starts earlier in some places than others.

HAHA, You sure made it sound like the cold was the determining factor. Quite cold for early December on the hill today. High of 9 on the Summit, very windy top to bottom. The snow was light and dry and we found lot's of stashes. Knee deep powder and at times in the wind drifted areas there were some waist deep shots. Even if this weekend storm should turn out tragically warm the cold/snow will move right back in and by Tuesday night it will just be a fading bad memory. From here North Winter lives. Even if it never snows again there are ways around it.

As WE thought, rock skis?

As WE thought, rock skis?

Dude, I beat the snot out of my favorite pair of rock skis. Trails with snowmaking snow as a base were fine but we were poaching steep natural facets all afternoon. Very easy to bottom out even in the deeper (24"+) stuff as it was Champagne powder. Right at the end of the day I got a major shark bite taken out of the base of my right ski. I think I'm going to make an ice fishing gear sled out of them. Poor things, they served me well only to be treated with no respect.

Dude, I beat the snot out of my favorite pair of rock skis. Trails with snowmaking snow as a base were fine but we were poaching steep natural facets all afternoon. Very easy to bottom out even in the deeper (24"+) stuff as it was Champagne powder. Right at the end of the day I got a major shark bite taken out of the base of my right ski. I think I'm going to make an ice fishing gear sled out of them. Poor things, they served me well only to be treated with no respect.

Figured with all that fluff and no prior base stuff, bottoming out would be an issue, glad you had a safe day, had a friend shatter a hip one time in similar,

Great pics Pete :thumbsup: I'm no downhill skiier, but would love to have gone to the top of that mountain today to look at the majesty of winter.

Anyone post on here using an Ipad or Iphone? My Ipad couldn't post the other day so I had to break out the laptop. Im really only good for obs and Ill have the Ipad and blackberry in the plowtruck this year.

I use the ipod off and on for this... a little hard to flip between threads and type, but very handy

I use the ipod off and on for this... a little hard to flip between threads and type, but very handy

I could read and flip thru the pages but when I clicked inside the reply box my keyboard doesn't come up.(Im sure this makes some of you happy). Anyone know where I should post this in the forum?

ps Happy Winter!

I could read and flip thru the pages but when I clicked inside the reply box my keyboard doesn't come up.(Im sure this makes some of you happy). Anyone know where I should post this in the forum?

ps Happy Winter!

There is a forum help section where someone might be able to help you:

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?/forum/16-forum-information-help/

Killington I believe...

Some of my students are headed to Stowe on Friday ... grrrrrr

Haha, good choice. Check out the picture gpetrics posted in the NNE thread of the skiing at Stowe this week. We might as well be in Utah right now.

Unfortunately, there is no base so you just sink right through this stuff to the bottom. One of those situations where you are skiing through belly-button deep snow but still hitting rocks. Makes for amazing pictures though.

A little sleet, wet snow, or even rain followed by snow/freeze would be good to set-up the snowpack in a more "firm" manner.

Everyone though from Killington on northward got crushed in this event. Bolton Valley (a smaller, west slope ski area for mainly locals) sits up in a bowl above 2,000ft on the west slope and picked up 44" in 72 hours. That's the winner and makes sense given their geographical location.

I hope you guys down south can get some snow out of this (maybe on the backside?) because I winter is a beautiful thing.

Archived