joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Bastardi: White Christmas for Most of North Carolina, Virginia

DCMetroWinston

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Southern Pines had a white Christmas in 1999 which I will never forget. It was total surprise and right out of a Christmas special. Woke up in the pre-dawn hours to flakes flying and nearly an inch fell. I have pics on my FB from that event. It was a single plume of moisture that came in off the VA Capes and drifted SW.

Same here,I live just a little north of pinehurst and the snow was great,and the late Christmas present we got about a month later was excellent!!

You got that right! That was a great winter overall! Probably would never come close to it anytime soon.

Not going into the JB comment column (or anywhere near it), but in 1983, we ACTUALLY had a white Christmas down here. Before that, as my Great-Grandfather told it - 1899 -- he said he lost cows who tried to climb "drifts" and tangled themselves in the barbed wire on the fence lines; but, I suppose once in a lifetime a white Christmas can happen. This year - I'm figuring near 70 given our cold now (swings from cold to warm are the norm). :arrowhead:

Bastardi is mostly insane. That would be an amazingly widespread white Christmas.

If you will recall last Christmas had 63% of the nation with at least 1" of snow on the ground and 2008 it was 52.7%. So this year calling for 50% of the nation to have snow on the ground for Christmas is not that insane. Take a look at last years snow cover map on Christmas Day. That's insane. lol

Signed up for the accuweather pro site today and saw this...:banned:

Pro site isn't too great...maybe I'm missing something, but what's so good about it that isn't found elsewhere? Anything really beneficial for winter weather forecasting?

Last Christmas Day featured the heaviest Winter rain rates I've ever witnessed. I'd have to check my records but it was something like 3" in 6 hours, and it wasn't just here, it was pretty widespread. Anyone else remember that super heavy duty rainfall that swept through the Apps and Southeast right at the beginning of Christmas Day? Some parts of the northern Mtns and I think down to areas just east of AVL had a big ice storm as well. Too bad we can check back to old threads (on this forum) to view the maps, but if I recall the models did great showing the extreme quick, heavy rainfall.

" Don't cry, Karen, Frosty's not gone for good. You see, he was made out of Christmas snow and Christmas snow can never disappear completely. It sometimes goes away for almost a year at a time and takes the form of spring and summer rain. But you can bet your boots that when a good, jolly December wind kisses it, it will turn into Christmas snow all over again." Santa Claus in Frosty the Snowman

I'm such a kid...

Archived