joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Bastardi: White Christmas for Most of North Carolina, Virginia

DCMetroWinston

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being as how this board is based in science, I think we need to acknowledge the difference between a good forecast and a lucky guess. Some of our mets here far outdid JB on the actual forecasting.

Yeah, it was too far out to count. Anybody could have "called" a storm for some point two to three weeks down the road in the middle of winter during a cold pattern and have a non-trivial chance of being right. Given that there have been a series of winter storms for the east all month, making a call like this one was basically a persistence forecast, and nothing else.

According to the National Operational Hydrologic Remote Sensing Center (NOHRSC), 50.2 percent of the contiguous United States had snow cover on Christmas morning, confirming AccuWeather.com Chief Long Range Forecaster Joe Bastardi's forecast. Bastardi has been calling for more than 50 percent snow coverage on Christmas day since the beginning of December.

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/43581/southeast-included-in-50-perce.asp

Someone is eating crow! smile.gif What's more amazing to me is that he got the basic snow cover area correct. I think Bastardi is kinda like Steve Spurrier, either you like him or you don't, but either way he's still pretty good at what he does.

Even a drunken squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Yes, the Mets did do a good job here.... but you know what JB is a Met to, so yes he did do a good job as well. I have known him for a long time and he hits a lot of his forecast correct and he misses some just like the Mets do that are here. So I guess all in all they should all be congratulated and people should stop bashing some them... as far as I can tell none of them are perfect. Just my thoughts because even though I know JB, ALL OF THE METS WORK HARD TO BE CORRECT I am glad for each one of them. mellow.gif

Yeah, it was too far out to count. Anybody could have "called" a storm for some point two to three weeks down the road in the middle of winter during a cold pattern and have a non-trivial chance of being right. Given that there have been a series of winter storms for the east all month, making a call like this one was basically a persistence forecast, and nothing else.

Archived