joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Bastardi: White Christmas for Most of North Carolina, Virginia

DCMetroWinston

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last Christmas Day featured the heaviest Winter rain rates I've ever witnessed. I'd have to check my records but it was something like 3" in 6 hours, and it wasn't just here, it was pretty widespread. Anyone else remember that super heavy duty rainfall that swept through the Apps and Southeast right at the beginning of Christmas Day? Some parts of the northern Mtns and I think down to areas just east of AVL had a big ice storm as well. Too bad we can check back to old threads (on this forum) to view the maps, but if I recall the models did great showing the extreme quick, heavy rainfall.

I remember it well. I left for my grandma's around 10 or 11 that morning (lives in Kings Mountain), and it was so horrid trying to drive in it, let alone people who can't drive carefully. In fact, it was the very reason why I woke up because you could hear it really pour out there. I'm not sure how long it lasted though (maybe you remember). We racked up in rainfall totals for sure. Possibly one of the wettest Christmas Days I've ever seen.

I remember it well. I left for my grandma's around 10 or 11 that morning (lives in Kings Mountain), and it was so horrid trying to drive in it, let alone people who can't drive carefully. In fact, it was the very reason why I woke up because you could hear it really pour out there. I'm not sure how long it lasted though (maybe you remember). We racked up in rainfall totals for sure. Possibly one of the wettest Christmas Days I've ever seen.

We had 3.06" at the airport that day. I also had an Ice Storm Warning in effect that day, but was a false alarm . High of 40 or so, was mostly mid 30's all day.

post-38-0-86686000-1291426141.jpg

Look how wet last December was in the Southeast. Over 20" of rain along the Gulf coast, and plenty of 10" amounts that month in the Southeast.

post-38-0-60423400-1291426251.jpg

Spent Christmas Eve on Lake Norman last year, and drove home Christmas morning. I-40 had rain the whole way and 33 degrees. Many accidents. Arrived home to find that the heavy rains had NOT melted the snow cover, because it was still so cold! Here is a pic I took just around the mountain around noon, and another I made as I pull into my driveway on Christmas day. It was definitely a WHITE CHRISTMAS...

post-1004-0-02969600-1291427089.jpg

post-1004-0-95027900-1291427107.jpg

We had 3.06" at the airport that day. I also had an Ice Storm Warning in effect that day, but was a false alarm . High of 40 or so, was mostly mid 30's all day.

post-38-0-86686000-1291426141.jpg

Look how wet last December was in the Southeast. Over 20" of rain along the Gulf coast, and plenty of 10" amounts that month in the Southeast.

post-38-0-60423400-1291426251.jpg

Ah. I was unaware of how wet the SE was around that time. I knew in our neck of the woods it was quite rainy, but I honestly never knew how much areas near the Gulf Coast received. They were walloped with 20+ inches in a few spots by the looks of that map. Anyway, I did remember seeing calls for an Ice Storm Warning nearby, but as you stated, they were canceled due to false alarm. I was worried for a bit because that would have deteriorated road conditions a good bit, which would have put a damper on my trip.

You have to admit though, if everything had setup correctly, we would be looking at a very White Christmas based on precipitation rates. Ah well. I think at one point we were forecasted to have a possible snow event that day, but we were trending to a more cold rain scenario the closer we got. Would rather have that than a damaging ice storm anytime.

Maybe ATL????:thumbsup:

1) There is no white Xmas on record for ATL. However, amazingly enough, SAV actually had one in 1989 from a historic snow from a couple days earlier that was preserved with extreme cold for that area!

2) Whereas ATL has no white ones on record, it has had a very icey Xmas thrice with major ZR's in 1943, 1945, and 1962. 12/25 is one of only three dates with three major ZR's: 12/25, 1/23, and 1/30

Here are the dates:

12/14-5

12/16

12/24-5

12/24-5

12/25

12/28-29

1/1

1/7

1/7-8

1/8

1/9

1/13-4

1/17-8

1/18-9

1/21

1/22-23

1/23

1/23

1/28-9

1/28-30

1/30

1/30-31

2/4-6

2/6-7

2/7-8

2/9-11

3/2

3/6

3/25

wow you signed up for it after questioning me about reading JB?lmaosmiley.giflaugh.gif

I'm an undercover JB fan...:thumbsup: No, but I don't mind him at all, just think he's pretty bold. I do agree with his global warming ideas, however. Also, the site has a lot more than just his blog...haha. Still trying to figure out though what the site has that I don't as far as winter forecasting...

I'm an undercover JB fan...:thumbsup: No, but I don't mind him at all, just think he's pretty bold. I do agree with his global warming ideas, however. Also, the site has a lot more than just his blog...haha. Still trying to figure out though what the site has that I don't as far as winter forecasting...

I am not undercover, I like him. I don't always agree with him but like the site.thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

That was a bad ice storm in parts of the mountains that nobody really talked about too much because it happened on Christmas Day. Terrific rains in the Piedmont...I got my weather station for Christmas, so it was put in right after the rain unfortunately. But it was a ton.

Last Christmas Day featured the heaviest Winter rain rates I've ever witnessed. I'd have to check my records but it was something like 3" in 6 hours, and it wasn't just here, it was pretty widespread. Anyone else remember that super heavy duty rainfall that swept through the Apps and Southeast right at the beginning of Christmas Day? Some parts of the northern Mtns and I think down to areas just east of AVL had a big ice storm as well. Too bad we can check back to old threads (on this forum) to view the maps, but if I recall the models did great showing the extreme quick, heavy rainfall.

1) There is no white Xmas on record for ATL. However, amazingly enough, SAV actually had one in 1989 from a historic snow from a couple days earlier that was preserved with extreme cold for that area!

2) Whereas ATL has no white ones on record, it has had a very icey Xmas thrice with major ZR's in 1943, 1945, and 1962. 12/25 is one of only three dates with three major ZR's: 12/25, 1/23, and 1/30

Interesting stuff. I'm surprised that we've had 3 major ZR events but no accumulating snow. I'm fairly certain that measurable snow is a good bit more common than a major ice storm!

Interesting stuff. I'm surprised that we've had 3 major ZR events but no accumulating snow. I'm fairly certain that measurable snow is a good bit more common than a major ice storm!

It absolutely is more common. Major ZR and major snow are fairly close in frequency, but light snow accum. is much more common than major ZR. This is just one of those freaky things.

Anyone else want to make a fearless Christmas Eve/Christmas forecast?

Well, I've never seen one, and climo says not likely, so I'd bet no. As for Brick's musings..I'm hard pressed to decide if I'd take no more frozen anything for the season in trade for a white Christmas. It would have to be a major, and stay at least 4 days, and have sleet mixed in. But given that, and my many, many Ga. years with zip for the whole winter, I think I'd take that deal...and then, when it was melted, I'd probably regret it, lol. T

Last Christmas Day featured the heaviest Winter rain rates I've ever witnessed. I'd have to check my records but it was something like 3" in 6 hours, and it wasn't just here, it was pretty widespread. Anyone else remember that super heavy duty rainfall that swept through the Apps and Southeast right at the beginning of Christmas Day?

No sugar-coating things...last Christmas sucked for my family. We still had probably 8 or 9 inches of snow on the ground and I actually thought the heavy rain would beat down the snow and produce extra water run-off but in the end all the water that fell from that storm pretty much puddled up and laid inside of the snowpack causing a complete slushy mess. The driveway which got destroyed after the big snow was even worse off after the rain.

No one could get in our place so we ended up having Christmas at another location.

Archived