EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
HEAT WAVE 6 now underway....probably will last 5 days

Deck Pic

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's true. But, I mean plains 100+ for days cooking material.

we actually get really nice this run later this week....verbatim, after tomorrow we probably arent back in the 90s until Monday....maybe Sunday.....Thu-Sat looks real nice...I will try and enjoy that and hope the heat holds off as long as possible

we actually get really nice this run later this week....verbatim, after tomorrow we probably arent back in the 90s until Monday....maybe Sunday.....Thu-Sat looks real nice...I will try and enjoy that and hope the heat holds off as long as possible

Same here. And if it does get hot next week it helps I am going to Ocean city lol.

That's true. But, I mean plains 100+ for days cooking material.

I'm still relatively new to the area, two year anniversary of my move to Baltimore about here, but, unless I miss something, "100+ for days" isn't really our climate around here, right? The record for consecutive days of 100+ degrees cannot be more than 2 or 3 for bwi/dca/dulles, right?

I'm still relatively new to the area, two year anniversary of my move to Baltimore about here, but, unless I miss something, "100+ for days" isn't really our climate around here, right? The record for consecutive days of 100+ degrees cannot be more than 2 or 3 for bwi/dca/dulles, right?

Probably but, 98-99 with heat index above 105 is basically the same lol. Aka last years unreal heat furnace.

Yup, we don't get strings of 100+ around here. Our claim to miserable fame is the mid 90's with nasty humidity.

Hottest string I can remember was around July 4th 1999. I think that was at least 3 days of 100+ with one day approaching 105. I don't have the stats but my memory is pretty vivid from that year. We lost AC on July 4th - 6th and the house temp was 95.

Does anyone have DCA and BWI stats from the first week of July 1999?

Yup, we don't get strings of 100+ around here. Our claim to miserable fame is the mid 90's with nasty humidity.

Hottest string I can remember was around July 4th 1999. I think that was at least 3 days of 100+ with one day approaching 105. I don't have the stats but my memory is pretty vivid from that year. We lost AC on July 4th - 6th and the house temp was 95.

Does anyone have DCA and BWI stats from the first week of July 1999?

I'd like to know the years at BWI that have had the most 100+ degree days. Last year had 7, which I believe is the record.

So what you are saying is that I shouldn't have looked up the July 95 heat wave (Chicago) on NARR and noticed that next week's ridge is stronger on the 12z GFS and 00z Euro. Gotcha ;)

looks like we didnt hit 100 during that.. close. i think the dc record is 4 in a row? 1930.

I'd like to know the years at BWI that have had the most 100+ degree days. Last year had 7, which I believe is the record.

2010 had 7 100 degree days @ BWI tying 1988. 2010 was a hotter summer overall.

Sorry Ian!

Edit: I checked out your site after I looked it up. You have better info. How accurate was 1930? Such an anomoly considering the heat islands weren't built up and global warming hadn't kicked in. lol- jk about global warming. I'm a concerned skeptic at this point.

2010 had 7 100 degree days @ BWI tying 1988. 2010 was a hotter summer overall.

Sorry Ian!

Edit: I checked out your site after I looked it up. You have better info. How accurate was 1930? Such an anomoly considering the heat islands weren't built up and global warming hadn't kicked in. lol- jk about global warming. I'm a concerned skeptic at this point.

Dust Bowl era had a lot of big heat migrating out of the Plains. Actually, as far as high temps go many of our hottest daytime temps were long ago. It could that there is increased moisture now and it's harder to heat it as quickly?

Here's an article from CWG on the heat of the '30s.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang/2010/06/the_heat_waves_of_the_1930s.html

12Z GFS has upper 60's Friday afternoon and Saturday afternoon here, with an inch of rain in between. That's certainly too cool, but add 10-15 degrees to that and its still awesome for mid-July.

Dust Bowl era had a lot of big heat migrating out of the Plains. Actually, as far as high temps go many of our hottest daytime temps were long ago. It could that there is increased moisture now and it's harder to heat it as quickly?

Here's an article from CWG on the heat of the '30s.

http://voices.washin..._the_1930s.html

That's a great read. I'm curious to what the major pattern was for all the heat and drought. Couldn't have been the big SE ridge because that usually causes unsettled conditions in the midwest on the backside of the high right? There must have been a general zonal flow with prevailing westerlies across the US and the tropical easterlies must have been further south keeping Gulf moisture from flowing into the plains. The monsoon flow in the desert SW and Rockies must have been weak too. Does this sound right? I can't think of how else the plains can be super hot and dry while the EC roasted at the same time.

That's a great read. I'm curious to what the major pattern was for all the heat and drought. Couldn't have been the big SE ridge because that usually causes unsettled conditions in the midwest on the backside of the high right? There must have been a general zonal flow with prevailing westerlies across the US and the tropical easterlies must have been further south keeping Gulf moisture from flowing into the plains. The monsoon flow in the desert SW and Rockies must have been weak too. Does this sound right? I can't think of how else the plains can be super hot and dry while the EC roasted at the same time.

I'm not sure, would have to look at re-analysis. I could imagine it being somewhat similar to the pattern this yr with a big heat ridge over the central u.s. bleeding east at times.

http://www.inscc.utah.edu/~reichler/6030/presentations/Jon_DustBowl.pdf

presentation with some analysis about the Dust Bowl era....

http://www.inscc.uta...on_DustBowl.pdf

presentation with some analysis about the Dust Bowl era....

Thanks for the info. I wasn't far off with my simpleton guess at what happened.

I did some other reading as well. The feedback cycle is probably the most interesting. Less soil moisture = less precip even when it did rain.

Texas is an absolute mess right now. I saw a news story about horses starving all over the place. It's too expensive to buy feed and the pastures are crushed by drought. The only quick solution to that drought is a tropical system. Otherwise it's going to take quite a while to fill the reservoirs and get agriculture back on track.

12Z Euro was axesmiley.png

Highs DCA

Tuesday 7/19 : 100+

Wednesday 7/20: 90-95

Thursday 7/21: 105+

are you sure you're looking at today's 12z? I see 850s in the range of 19 to 21 C for those days...not exactly triple digit heat.

Archived