• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
HEAT WAVE 6 now underway....probably will last 5 days

Deck Pic

This is how I see it. Sunday-Tuesday is first heat. 90-96 temps likely. A MCS could be somewhere in PA into MD, have to watch that and back door front for Wednesday. Real heat come Thursday- Sunday and maybe into Monday as the ridge pushes eastward before getting squashed.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is how I see it. Sunday-Tuesday is first heat. 90-96 temps likely. A MCS could be somewhere in PA into MD, have to watch that and back door front for Wednesday. Real heat come Thursday- Sunday and maybe into Monday as the ridge pushes eastward before getting squashed.

And according to the long range gfs, it gets squashed for a few days, then builds back into a 594 ridge monster!

Ughh...ugly ugly

Ugly

Duration wise though. It seems right on track 6-10 days after recurve puts it in the 25th range and looks to be when the heat dies down.

Wait, what?

GFS and Euro both have the system/remnants out by the Aleutian Islands on the 25th... if anything it would either dissipate or reinforce the trough over the Pacific NW, which would have build the ridge downstream and cause warmer temps in the central/eastern U.S.

Wait, what?

GFS and Euro both have the system/remnants out by the Aleutian Islands on the 25th... if anything it would either dissipate or reinforce the trough over the Pacific NW, which would have build the ridge downstream and cause warmer temps in the central/eastern U.S.

I thought the rule of thumb was a Recieving typhoon means through in east 6-10 days. Not my specialty though. I just know it's going to be hot. Lol

Lets see how well the models do and how much continuity they have over the next week. I'll bump post this occasionally. If anyone wants to chime in with the Euro surface temps, feel free.

post-1746-0-77287900-1310735230.jpg

I don't have all the days but I know it showed 100-105 Friday, 105-110 sat and sunday.

Or you could just look at the models and see what they do with the system. Every TC is different.

It pretty much makes sense as the latent heat that is released into the atmosphere from a tropical system (especially a powerful typhoon/hurricane) has downstream effects such as helping to build a ridge which then moves eastward in this case. Interesting stuff and how it is all tied together in one way or another.

It pretty much makes sense as the latent heat that is released into the atmosphere from a tropical system (especially a powerful typhoon/hurricane) has downstream effects such as helping to build a ridge which then moves eastward in this case. Interesting stuff and how it is all tied together in one way or another.

So now you tell me how that affects our weather in the eastern U.S. in this particular setup.

It says it right there. Lol. It helps build the ridge then will push east as it recurves.

You don't have it at all...

It will reinforce a ridge currently over the central Pacific, which will in turn amplify the trough over the West Coast which will amplify the ridge over the central/eastern U.S. Of course, as you down the wave pattern the effects become less and less, so by the time its effects hit the eastern U.S. we're not looking at too much of an impact. As far as pushing the ridge east (I would hope the quote discusses the C. Pac. ridge, EDIT: unless he's discussing the end of next week when it's not really "recurving" anymore so much as getting absorbed back into the flow), that ridge isn't going to go far as the West Coast trough it pretty locked-in during the recurve.

You don't have it at all...

It will reinforce a ridge currently over the central Pacific, which will in turn amplify the trough over the West Coast which will amplify the ridge over the central/eastern U.S. Of course, as you down the wave pattern the effects become less and less, so by the time its effects hit the eastern U.S. we're not looking at too much of an impact. As far as pushing the ridge east (I would hope the quote discusses the C. Pac. ridge, EDIT: unless he's discussing the end of next week when it's not really "recurving" anymore so much as getting absorbed back into the flow), that ridge isn't going to go far as the West Coast trough it pretty locked-in during the recurve.

Ok.

Lets see how well the models do and how much continuity they have over the next week. I'll bump post this occasionally. If anyone wants to chime in with the Euro surface temps, feel free.

post-1746-0-77287900-1310735230.jpg

Are these numbers for a specific location? Let's have some fun with this and post how many days specific airports are 100+ degrees

100 to 105 degree temps on Friday of next week per the Euro... with DPs in the 60s that would really suck

Is it even possible for us to get 100+ without a DP in the 60s?

I ask because I honestly don't know, and doubt it could happen.

That said, I'm not hopping on the furnace train, just like I don't hop on the frigid train in the winter.

Are these numbers for a specific location? Let's have some fun with this and post how many days specific airports are 100+ degrees

I would assume it's for DCA.

Is it even possible for us to get 100+ without a DP in the 60s?

I ask because I honestly don't know, and doubt it could happen.

That said, I'm not hopping on the furnace train, just like I don't hop on the frigid train in the winter.

Yes it can.

Just looking at 2010 100+ summer highs and finding their dewpoints at the time of the highs (with ranges for when multiple hours were at 100+):

Date: High/dewpoint (or dewpoint range)

June 24: 100/66

July 6: 102/53-63

July 7: 102/63-65

July 24: 101/70-71

I would assume it's for DCA.

Yes it can.

Just looking at 2010 100+ summer highs and finding their dewpoints at the time of the highs (with ranges for when multiple hours were at 100+):

Date: High/dewpoint (or dewpoint range)

June 24: 100/66

July 6: 102/52-63

July 7: 102/63-65

July 24: 101/70-71

I think he means we don't get to 100 unless the DP is 60+. Usually not a dry heat here when it's 100+.

Was that in the AM or afternoon?

Afternoon... saw temp/dews of 102/55 and 101/53 at 5pm and 6pm, respectively. Dewpoints had started in the 60s that morning/early afternoon before dropping off.

Also, I made a mistake... the lowest dewpoint was 53, not 52. Corrected the earlier posts.

Afternoon... saw temp/dews of 102/55 and 101/53 at 5pm and 6pm, respectively. Dewpoints had started in the 60s that morning/early afternoon before dropping off.

Also, I made a mistake... the lowest dewpoint was 53, not 52. Corrected the earlier posts.

Thanks. That's pretty interesting. So we hit 100 with DPs in the 60s, but the temps stayed fairly level for a few hours as the DPs fell. Proves that you *can* get 100+ with DPs under 60, though it's kind of a backdoor way of getting there.

Archived