amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
HEAT WAVE 6 now underway....probably will last 5 days

Deck Pic

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro has been high with the 850s at this range this summer, but there is no doubt that this ridge is going to be capable of nasty things.

I think part of the problem the Euro (and GFS) have been having at that range are handling the effects of the -AO that we have been inundated with (coming in more negative than forecast). Now we're in a +AO/neutral and looking at a neutral forecast, so we'll see what happens. This is also looking like the strongest ridge of the season further west, and we've already been able to hit mid/upper 90s with the last one as it pushed east, so I'm not sold on seeing cooler temperatures just yet.

140? 150?

You know what I really mean by mid 100s :P

----

I should also note that models are also looking for a +EPO/-WPO in that time frame, which both call for warmer temps. If the MJO can get a little active in phase 1 we'll have that to help out as well.

*Edited to fix MJO forecast

*EDITED AGAIN because my dumb ass doesn't know enough about the MJO and how tends to make it cooler in the Mid-Atlantic in phase 2 (if this is right): http://www.cpc.ncep....es/Temperature/

You know what? I'm not sure what to believe with the MJO if it does show a signal... maps produced by my company for phases 1 and 2 for Jul 10-31 show warm anomalies favored for my region. I'll have to make those maps and post them :P

Aha! Sweeeeeeeeeet:

July composite anomalies...

Phase 1:

post-96-0-16669400-1310589956.gif

Phase 2:

post-96-0-54620800-1310589988.gif

Granted, without any sort of amplitude we can't really use it, anyway.

what?

I'd like to think we all learned something here today...

...that I sometimes type too fast for my own good :P

MJO phase 1 or 2 in July = warmer Mid-Atlantic. The current forecast - http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/mjo.shtml - goes from phase 1 to phase 2 this weekend before the signal weakens. If we can keep the signal more amplified, it would help support warmer temps.

I should probably go to bed now :D

I'd like to think we all learned something here today...

...that I sometimes type too fast for my own good :P

MJO phase 1 or 2 in July = warmer Mid-Atlantic. The current forecast - http://www.cpc.ncep....k/MJO/mjo.shtml - goes from phase 1 to phase 2 this weekend before the signal weakens. If we can keep the signal more amplified, it would help support warmer temps.

I should probably go to bed now :D

ok, cool. i dont know much about the mjo.

updated through today, 7/13

Heat Wave = 3 days in a row 90+...it is an informal definition that is often used in this area

2010 Heat Waves:

HW1: 6/12-14: 3 days, 92.6 average high

HW2: 6/19-29: 11 days, 95.4

HW3: 7/4-9: 6 days, 97.5

HW4: 7/14-25: 12 days, 95.0

HW5: 8/4-6: 3 days, 93.7

HW6: 8/8-11: 4 days, 94.8

HW7: 8/29 - 9/3: 6 days, 94.5

HW8: 9/22-25: 4 days, 95

2011 Heat Waves

HW1: 5/30-6/1: 3 days, 97.3

HW2: 6/7-12: 6 days, 94.7

HW3: 7/1 - 7/5: 5 days, 92.4

HW4: 7/9- 7/13, 5 days, 93.8

as stated earlier on in the summer the big difference locally seems to be the breaks in between. we're ahead of last yr pace on heat waves only because those first two were so long. i guess we might make that up a bit on the next one as it would seem to be shaping up to be the longest thus far, and perhaps the whole season given its timing. it's still a ways out there tho--at least our part of it. i guess the players are more or less on the field now or shortly.

i do think we could start this weekend.. sat might be pushing it based on 850s and sun perhaps as well, but gfs mos is already u 80s... it does pretty well for warm, maybe because it's always warm

as stated earlier on in the summer the big difference locally seems to be the breaks in between. we're ahead of last yr pace on heat waves only because those first two were so long. i guess we might make that up a bit on the next one as it would seem to be shaping up to be the longest thus far, and perhaps the whole season given its timing. it's still a ways out there tho--at least our part of it. i guess the players are more or less on the field now or shortly.

I think we start in earnest on Monday if not Sunday....I guess the question is whether we get a 86-89 day or 2 in there due to cloud cover or some other transient feature...If July ended today it would be 4th warmest on record...after last June's record month, July is actually our most vulnerable summer month in terms of #1...record (1993, 2011) is only +3.3 vs 1981-2000 norms....At this point, I am going to root for a #1 July and hope (probably futile) that August is cool....Rain screwed us, but if we can get an overnight min of 80 from a somewhat unimpressive air mass last night, I think we can push it.....top 10-15 seems like pretty much a lock even if next week underperforms..

Archived