joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
HEAT WAVE 6 now underway....probably will last 5 days

Deck Pic

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like sun returns by early afternoon.. maybe we'll get an 89 with absurd humidity thanks to the new ground moisture

not sure how those numbers come up but the nam has been terrible during heat for yrs really

LOL at using the phrase heat wave as a label for the recent run of weather. It's not even close to being a heat wave. Get back to me when we have 5+ consecutive days with highs north of 95. Using heat wave to describe the recent run of weather is equivalent to stating that we have a major cold outbreak in the middle of January when we have a run of days with highs in the 30s. It's not a big deal.

LOL at using the phrase heat wave as a label for the recent run of weather. It's not even close to being a heat wave. Get back to me when we have 5+ consecutive days with highs north of 95. Using heat wave to describe the recent run of weather is equivalent to stating that we have a major cold outbreak in the middle of January when we have a run of days with highs in the 30s. It's not a big deal.

LOL at someone who clearly doesn't know that "heat wave" is 3 days in a row of 90+ temps.

LOL at someone who clearly doesn't know that "heat wave" is 3 days in a row of 90+ temps.

Sure, in New England, but certainly not in the middle atlantic. This type of weather should be old hat for everyone that lives in this area.....highs ranging from the upper 80s to low 90s with humidity. Calling THIS a heat wave is pathetic.

Sure, in New England, but certainly not in the middle atlantic. This type of weather should be old hat for everyone that lives in this area.....highs ranging from the upper 80s to low 90s with humidity. Calling THIS a heat wave is pathetic.

AGAIN, a heat wave (in this thread, subforum and region) has been defined as 3 days in a row of 90+ temps. Just because its not 95 with a HI of 100 doesn't mean its not a heat wave.

heat wave—(Also called hot wave, warm wave.) A period of abnormally and uncomfortably hot and usually humid weather. To be a heat wave such a period should last at least one day, but conventionally it lasts from several days to several weeks. In 1900, A. T. Burrows more rigidly defined a “hot wave” as a spell of three or more days on each of which the maximum shade temperature reaches or exceeds 90°F. More realistically, the comfort criteria for any one region are dependent upon the normal conditions of that region. In the eastern United States, heat waves generally build up with southerly winds on the western flank of an anticyclone centered over the southeastern states, the air being warmed by passage over a land surface heated by the sun. See also hot wind.

Ward, R. de C., 1925: The Climates of the United States, 383–395.

My ninja edit FTW.

-----

I think we should define a heat wave as three days of 85+ :popcorn:

im in..

i agree 3 days of 90F is not really a "heat wave" for here but it's one of those accepted things that we're not going to change so eh.

i'm gathering signatures to have that specific passage removed from the next edition of the AMS glossary...:thumbsup:

im in..

i agree 3 days of 90F is not really a "heat wave" for here but it's one of those accepted things that we're not going to change so eh.

i'm gathering signatures to have that specific passage removed from the next edition of the AMS glossary...:thumbsup:

the issue for us is if we wanted a "truer" definition it would probably be like 3 days 92+ or something. 3 days or more 95+ is not that common really.

yeah i agree, guess it depends on what you are most concerned with, a "meteorological" heat wave would probably be some determined departure from normal , while a "public health" heat wave could be more a function of a temperature where a certain population may experience adverse effects (combination of max/min and dewpoint)

the issue for us is if we wanted a "truer" definition it would probably be like 3 days 92+ or something. 3 days or more 95+ is not that common really.

I could live with 3 days of 92+, but not 90. Especially not when the average high at Dulles (using that location as an example) is 87 right now. 3 degrees above normal isn't a big deal.

agreed...read the thread though...it has already been covered

Good to hear. All of the crying threw me off.

You did a pretty good job at yourself... I was just following suit.

I could live with 3 days of 92+, but not 90. Especially not when the average high at Dulles (using that location as an example) is 87 right now. 3 degrees above normal isn't a big deal.

Archived