• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
HEAT WAVE 6 now underway....probably will last 5 days

Deck Pic

I put it in quotes...I think people are on notice that it is a loose informal definition....I am not using the WMO definition that defines 5 days in July of 95, 99, 102, 100, 97 as NOT a heat wave..yeah right...these things are subjective anyway.....I have been objective in using 90+ days....If using the term "heat wave" offends your sensibilities, I apologize ;)

I should be the one apologizing.

You don't have to put it in quotes...I see the argument that 90 is a good threshold for comfort and that works as a definition of heat wave, from that standpoint. I sometimes get stuck thinking of a heat wave as an anomalous event, and that is some people's definition, but I also know that when we have periods of time with highs above 90 I surely don't enjoy it.

I saw a paper just published in GRL (2010) that pretty much says there is no widely accepted definition of heat wave and they present a pretty good statistical metric for what they classify as a "heat wave", see Section 2 if anyone is interested:

http://europa.agu.org/?uri=/journals/gl/2009GL041841.xml&view=article

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should be the one apologizing.

You don't have to put it in quotes...I see the argument that 90 is a good threshold for comfort and that works as a definition of heat wave, from that standpoint. I sometimes get stuck thinking of a heat wave as an anomalous event, and that is some people's definition, but I also know that when we have periods of time with highs above 90 I surely don't enjoy it.

I read some definitions that want to make it a high SD event....one that occurs extremely infrequently....I don't agree with that, but I do agree that 90, 92, 91 in mid July should not be a heat wave and it is kind of silly to call it one....I think ultimately a good definition would account for duration and intensity and perhaps be flexible on both if one compensates for the other

I read some definitions that want to make it a high SD event....one that occurs extremely infrequently....I don't agree with that, but I do agree that 90, 92, 91 in mid July should not be a heat wave and it is kind of silly to call it one....I think ultimately a good definition would account for duration and intensity and perhaps be flexible on both if one compensates for the other

Exactly, I don't think it has to be a high SD event, most studies use 95 percentile (or ~ 2Ds), but Tmax 95, 95, 95 in July/August wouldn't reach that threshold but I would consider that a heat wave, especially if it is combined with Tmin like 78, 79, 80, and Td like 72, 72, 72.

These are the discussions I am interested in.

It's semantics as for the long timers around here know that 90+ usually is accompanied by HHH so even if only 90F it often feels worse. And we also know that many times DCA only barely manages to hit 90 while surrounding places rocket into the low 90s.

Yeah, but when the average high for DCA is almost 90 in July, I don't see how anything under 95 could be considered a "heat wave". That honestly just seems silly: three days in a row with +1 or +2 departure highs would be a "heat wave"? :arrowhead: The same would apply here in Denver during July.

The three 90+ days in a row thing does seem to be the loose criteria for many places in the nation, but it obviously doesn't fit a lot of places. I mean, it's kind of like using the same standards for cold in the winter for Boston and DC. Three days in a row below freezing would be considered a cold wave for DC, but routine for Boston. Whereas three 90+ days is actually something significant for Boston, but not for DC.

Euro back off too and gets "cool" again for next weekend.....no complaints from me

Yep, looking like a 3-4 day stretch of 90+ then going back to low 80's. I hope that is the theme this summer. Regular breaks from the HHH stuff makes a good summer round here.

Looks like decent chance for boomers during the hot stretch. Much better than a strong ridge putting a lid on convection.

Yep, looking like a 3-4 day stretch of 90+ then going back to low 80's. I hope that is the theme this summer. Regular breaks from the HHH stuff makes a good summer round here.

Looks like decent chance for boomers during the hot stretch. Much better than a strong ridge putting a lid on convection.

I think 75% chance we get HW3....probably T-THU

Zone forecast for BWI area has highs at 89 Wed and Thursday and only 86 on Friday. Persistent cloud deck so far with this particular pattern makes me lean toward staying under 90 up this way - or just touching 90/91 at best. At the least, sun has been hard to come by here since about Saturday, which has kept the daytime heating less than it might have been.

HW#3 may be on hold for the time being. I haven't dug in too deep with the models but from what I see it doesn't look like 90+ returns until mid-late next week. Even if we do hit the 90's this week it looks to be low 90's at best.

Easy summer so far. My electric bill looks to stay friendly for a while.

It would be nice if we didn't start every friggen morning under cloudy skies... would help out verification quite a bit.

Only if the pattern can hold in -NAO/-AO aaaaaaaaaaaaall summer... as soon as we go back to neutral/positive the heat will return.

actually -NAO is often good for heat here

howard ftw?

yes...bad call by me...maybe we get 2 days of 90+...maybe less?...hard to say..we should be flirting with 90 the next 2-3 days

Just looked at the GFS/Euro as posted below and it looks brutal....hopefully they are wrong

I think Howard's overarching idea is that future heat will come but will be limited in strength and duration compared to Heat Wave 2.....I agree and disagree....I am not sure we see 102 or even 100 again this summer, but I am somewhat confident that we see one more heat wave of 7-9 days...I don't think HW2 at 6 days will be our longest of the May-SEP period...the idea of transience is a good one though I think...not sure a death ridge can park itself for a week

yes...bad call by me...maybe we get 2 days of 90+...maybe less?...hard to say..we should be flirting with 90 the next 2-3 days

Just looked at the GFS/Euro as posted below and it looks brutal....hopefully they are wrong

I think Howard's overarching idea is that future heat will come but will be limited in strength and duration compared to Heat Wave 2.....I agree and disagree....I am not sure we see 102 or even 100 again this summer, but I am somewhat confident that we see one more heat wave of 7-9 days...I don't think HW2 at 6 days will be our longest of the May-SEP period...the idea of transience is a good one though I think...not sure a death ridge can park itself for a week

the euro has pushed the ridge east from a few runs ago... more like the gfs. if a bubble of 594 dm heights does come east, 100 is certainly possible

the euro has pushed the ridge east from a few runs ago... more like the gfs. if a bubble of 594 dm heights does come east, 100 is certainly possible

i gave us an 80% chance of hitting 103+ this yr like 10 days ago. :devilsmiley:

Euro is now slower than the GFS but would get the heat here eventually....GFS is 90s/100 for a week starting day 9...but it is still fantasy range

"delayed but not denied" I have to think that with it being that far out that it will mitigate a bit and hopefully not be that bad.

edit: and I say that only based upon how this last HW was progged only to see it diminish in intensity.

It would be nice if we didn't start every friggen morning under cloudy skies... would help out verification quite a bit.

Only if the pattern can hold in -NAO/-AO aaaaaaaaaaaaall summer... as soon as we go back to neutral/positive the heat will return.

The -PNA has been a big help to the heat out east as well...and kept the West very cool. If we get a big +PNA ridge in summer, the NAO/AO is much less important.

"delayed but not denied" I have to think that with it being that far out that it will mitigate a bit and hopefully not be that bad.

edit: and I say that only based upon how this last HW was progged only to see it diminish in intensity.

agreed....12z GFS has backed off some and slowed down....for no other reason than I think it is a superior model, I will hug the Euro on this one.....it may be a case where the mean ridge stays over the drought areas, but climo plus lack of a trough allows us to be 89-94 for a period....we are going to hit 90-92 today with pretty weak 500mb ridging and partial cloudiness....we are entering a period that lasts until around 8/15 where 88+ is pretty easy even with a lot of mitigating factors.....and so you can get a lot of fluke 90-92 readings

Archived