• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Looking ahead to Winter 2011-2012?

Ji

I'm pretty sure heading into last winter (2010-11), things looked as bad as they could reasonably get. +QBO, Strong La Nina, +IO... For what we were up against, we did well (relatively). The complaining is just tradition.

I assume 1998-99 looked pretty bleak as well.

tradition?

he!!, I thought that's why we're here lol

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Potent La Ninas tend to stink and so do neutrals after La Nina in that region. I don't know the exact stats, but I'm sure zwyts does and will chime in when he reads this. This is why you want to have an El Nino or at least a Nino hangover.

There are some exceptions...a nice 2 week period in January 2000 sort of salvaged that winter to being OK despite a strong La Nina.

what he said Winterwxluvr

3 storms over 2 weeks with the 1/25/00 being the best, though folks out west toward IAD and beyond didn't do so hot

I like the -QBO this year and the sleepy sun giving us a "chance" at some blocking

other than that, the "odds favor" this winter will not be better than last year

but 1 storm like 1/25/00 in an otherwise lousy winter can change the perception of the winter

in retrospect, if I had received a foot or more from the PSUHoffman storm like many 20 miles or less to my N and NE did, I might have felt different about this past winter...that plus the fact BWI had over 1.5" qpf and measured around 7" of snow :axe:

one other thing

the cold pool off of Nova Scotia is looking robust, maybe a hair east of where ideal would be, but almost exactly where the cold pool set up in early July 2009 :guitar:

tradition?

he!!, I thought that's why we're here lol

:lol:

1/25/00 is one of my all-time favorites. The north trend worked huge in our favor. Wind-driven powder. I had three-foot drifts. That's really why we're here. Give me one like that in '11-'12 and I'll be good for another year.

Question for you NoVa, MD, WV panhandle veterans. Is there a year when you remember frequent snows and consistent cold? Two winters ago, we had more than enough snow, but if I had had my preferences, that snow would have been divided into many smaller events as opposed to the big bombs. Being someone who grew up on the west slopes of the mountains where cloudy, grey days with snow flurries and snow showers are common. I like falling snow much more than snow on the ground. Any years here with frequent, even if smaller, snows?

Question for you NoVa, MD, WV panhandle veterans. Is there a year when you remember frequent snows and consistent cold? Two winters ago, we had more than enough snow, but if I had had my preferences, that snow would have been divided into many smaller events as opposed to the big bombs. Being someone who grew up on the west slopes of the mountains where cloudy, grey days with snow flurries and snow showers are common. I like falling snow much more than snow on the ground. Any years here with frequent, even if smaller, snows?

1981-82 was like that. My last year in western Md after growing up in Cumberland. For our area (MRB data):

-a 2" snowfall on Thanksgiving, then winter set in with 5" on 12/14-15, another inch 12/21 to freshen the snowcover. 2 more inches on NYE.

-a cold snap with some below zero readings to start January, then 5" from the 1/13 storm, another inch 1/16, then a -13F reading 1/17, one of 3 nights in a row 0 or below.

-a "mild-up" after the cold snap with 9.5" in 5 days, 1/21-1/26. snow cover stretched from 1/13-2/9, 28 days

-3 more inches to replace the snowpack on 2/13-14. same week, 2/17-19, snow accumulations were 7.0", 1.4", 2.4" for those three days.

-3/7 chipped in 3 more inches. and after some more typical March weather, MRB picked up 3 more inches 4/9 !

A 47" winter, but just the kind you described.

It's funny how everyone (myself included in this) always roots for an El Nino now because of 02/03 and 09/10. Back in the 90's I always thought El Nino sucked for this area- and it did! Every El Nino in the 90's sucked terribly. And the La Nina's brought us all the snow (95/96, 99/00). :arrowhead:

El Ninos with big +NAOs are a disaster. That's what 1991-1992 and 1994-1995 were. 1997-1998 had just a slightly positive NAO but a terrible PAC pattern as the vortex got so enormous, it basically engulfed the entire GOA and firehosed the CONUS with mild PAC air masses. You normally want it further W toward S of the Aleutions.

Here are some analogue maps that the user Snowstorm over at AccuWx forums posted. These are Winters with a -NAO and winters with a -QBO. Both of which are very real possibilities this go around.

Weak-moderate La Nina Winters WITH a solidly -QBO resulted in this:

post-16722-1310518680.png

Winter's with -NAO:

post-16722-1310518764.png

Interesting to say the least.

Here are some analogue maps that the user Snowstorm over at AccuWx forums posted. These are Winters with a -NAO and winters with a -QBO. Both of which are very real possibilities this go around.

Weak-moderate La Nina Winters WITH a solidly -QBO resulted in this:

lol AccuWx forum copypasta.

Why weak-moderate La Nina? I hope it's closer to the "weak" side of it, as weak Nina/neutral is probably a better estimate of this winter's ENSO state.

Did he/she mention WHY they think this winter will be -QBO or -NAO dominated? Do you have any thoughts/discussion of your own?

lol AccuWx forum copypasta.

Why weak-moderate La Nina? I hope it's closer to the "weak" side of it, as weak Nina/neutral is probably a better estimate of this winter's ENSO state.

Did he/she mention WHY they think this winter will be -QBO or -NAO dominated? Do you have any thoughts/discussion of your own?

Well I think Weak La Nina is the best bet. And I acknowledge the whole "cycle of back to back -NAO Winters" theory. And I think that cycle is going to continue.

Alsom from what I've read, the QBO is descending back to the negative side.

Well I think Weak La Nina is the best bet. And I acknowledge the whole "cycle of back to back -NAO Winters" theory. And I think that cycle is going to continue.

Alsom from what I've read, the QBO is descending back to the negative side.

Thank you for the reasoning :)

Indeed, it does look like we're heading back into a -QBO regime come fall/winter: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/data/indices/qbo.u30.index

As far as the back-to-back -NAO winter theory... I'm not largely sold on that, but it is a possibility.

Unless the solar wind flux were to increase, I think it'd be hard to see a +NAO, especially with a -QBO present. Last winter we had the +IO, +QBO, Borderline Strong La Nina, and a big time -NAO dominated until Mid January...that has never happened before...it just doesn't happen. The solar wind flux didn't drop until 2009, and when it did, it dropped to record low levels...the AO/NAO bottomed in record territory as well in the same timeframe. I do not think it is any coincidence.

The ECMWF monthlies, JMA Long Range, virtually everything model & analog wise, was indicating the blowtorch last winter, and it should have been a blowtorch winter for much of the lower 48.

Last winter we had the +IO, +QBO, Borderline Strong La Nina, and a big time -NAO dominated until Mid January...that has never happened before...it just doesn't happen.

Well... it did.

The ECMWF monthlies, JMA Long Range, virtually everything model & analog wise, was indicating the blowtorch last winter, and it should have been a blowtorch winter for much of the lower 48.

Well... it wasn't.

Weather can do whatever the hell it wants - we're just along for the ride :scooter:

Unless the solar wind flux were to increase, I think it'd be hard to see a +NAO, especially with a -QBO present. Last winter we had the +IO, +QBO, Borderline Strong La Nina, and a big time -NAO dominated until Mid January...that has never happened before...it just doesn't happen. The solar wind flux didn't drop until 2009, and when it did, it dropped to record low levels...the AO/NAO bottomed in record territory as well in the same timeframe. I do not think it is any coincidence.

The ENSO/QBO relationship certainly occurred with the Arctic Oscillation mid-winter:

2011: -1.683 +1.575 +1.424 +2.275

The stratospheric connection was also good, with no MMW's and a strong FW. The indicators definitely came through but it was the interpretation by humans that was wrong (well for some anyway). That low solar dip post the higher autumn activity was absolutely amazing timing for the start of 2010-11. It was ridiculous.

how much of a disaster is this looking to be. Zwyts on facebook told me that this summer will be considered the ice age in comparison to how warm winter is going to bethumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Zwyts needs to move north. Last winter he has complained nonstop about the lack of snow, and always with extreme pessimism. So he is disgruntled.

2007. Even though it had below average snowfall.

Zwyts needs to move north. Last winter he has complained nonstop about the lack of snow, and always with extreme pessimism. So he is disgruntled.

i was vindicated.....I prefer realism...I don't think swinging like a pendulum with every model run is productive or makes for good discussion....when the overall longwave pattern doesn't support big snow here it doesn't snow....yet that doesn't stop the masses from ignoring climo and hugging the one 6z model run at 180 hrs out that shows a SECS.....That is why I didn't participate here last winter and I probably won't this winter....

Out of curiosity, how were you able to move to Maryland right on February 6 last year?

Because we (my parents and I) started on the 5th. Got to Fredericksburg, VA where we decided to stop since we were doing 30mph on I-95 and it was getting dark. They had about 8-10" when we got there.

I don't think swinging like a pendulum with every model run is productive or makes for good discussion....

Good man.

i was vindicated.....I prefer realism...I don't think swinging like a pendulum with every model run is productive or makes for good discussion....when the overall longwave pattern doesn't support big snow here it doesn't snow....yet that doesn't stop the masses from ignoring climo and hugging the one 6z model run at 180 hrs out that shows a SECS.....That is why I didn't participate here last winter and I probably won't this winter....

How about MAR1 2009?... strong +NAO, and still 4-6" in the northern LWX CWA, 12+" in southern LWX CWA. Not saying I don't agree with you in the general sense, but would you agree there is a timeframe in the 4 day range were homing in on an event is somewhat reasonable? Especially in terrible winters such as 08/09.

How about MAR1 2009?... strong +NAO, and still 4-6" in the northern LWX CWA, 12+" in southern LWX CWA. Not saying I don't agree with you in the general sense, but would you agree there is a timeframe in the 4 day range were homing in on an event is somewhat reasonable? Especially in terrible winters such as 08/09.

yes...I would agree

I need to look at everything in detail still, but my forecast will be out soon. I've done generally (and surprisingly) awesome the past few years as well.

I'm kind of thinking cold/average snow for the DC area, just need to go more in-depth. One thing that I'm thinking--once more--as has been typical the past decade + is a relatively snowy/cold December.

The biggest question is whether we stay neutral - or progress into Weak Nina territory. I'm fairly sure that my move to NYC will pay off big-time once again, though.

(if not, I will come back for the storms, as I will always do if one city is getting 6" or more than the other)

Well that will be a great loss for all of us here, we will sorely miss your great insight and charming friendly personality :arrowhead: .

Archived