• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Next shot at Severe storms: next Thu/Fri?

free_man

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People over estimate windspeeds...and usually give a lack of respect to 50-55mph gusts with foliage on trees. I definitely think there were pockets of severe criteria, but on the whole I doubt it was widespread.

You'd have to actually see the all the damage to get a better idea. So many compromised trees and branches will succumb to 45-55 mph winds.

I saw some stuff down here on what was 40mph or so. 50-55mph on foliage is exponentially worse than 50-55mph with no leaves.

My neighbor had the same issue working on his house. He just looked at me and said..." Do you feel a slight jolt?" LOL. Anyways, that's why you don't shower in tstms.

I remember one time in 8th grade I was getting ready for school and when I woke up to take a shower it was raining out...it was the spring...I ALWAYS get nervous taking a shower, even if it's raining. I took my shower and nothing happened...a little bit later I was brushing my teeth, there was a window right next to the sink...I pull away from the sink and all of a sudden there was this vivid flash right next to the window and even before the flash was gone there was a HUGE crash...that scared the hell out of me...it was the only flash of lightning/thunder that day. It had to hit right next to the house...hell it may have it the house but the house was grounded.

Lightning does freak me out..but I still love it.

I saw some stuff down here on what was 40mph or so. 50-55mph on foliage is exponentially worse than 50-55mph with no leaves.

We had a gust to 59 knots in June 2008 here and I saw what the damage looked like...it does a lot of damage, but its usually pretty localized. This event didn't have winds that strong except maybe in isolated pockets, but it was very large coverage of the 40-55mph stuff. So there will be damage reports from most towns even if its mostly sub-severe winds.

We had a gust to 59 knots in June 2008 here and I saw what the damage looked like...it does a lot of damage, but its usually pretty localized. This event didn't have winds that strong except maybe in isolated pockets, but it was very large coverage of the 40-55mph stuff. So there will be damage reports from most towns even if its mostly sub-severe winds.

Speaking of 2008 I like to use Russell, MA as a "threshold" for high end winds...they had the 70-75 mph microburst and there was a GREAT deal of damage with that. 40-50 mph winds will cause damage...just nothing too large scale...once you get above 55-60 mph...that's when damage become a bit more widespread, which is why the wind criteria for severe is 58 mph.

Speaking of 2008 I like to use Russell, MA as a "threshold" for high end winds...they had the 70-75 mph microburst and there was a GREAT deal of damage with that. 40-50 mph winds will cause damage...just nothing too large scale...once you get above 55-60 mph...that's when damage become a bit more widespread, which is why the wind criteria for severe is 58 mph.

I think the was the same exact storm that got here with near 70mph winds.

Hearing of the Tropical Storm conditions which decimated CT. I left work and drove the 33 miles backroads through Ledyard, N Stoinington, Voluntown, Sterling, to home in Moosup. Found the most extraordinary results, not one limb, tree down, most amazingly after a Tropical storm there were no leaves litter on any road. Miracle. Then I checked, most of the outages from CLP were from lightning strikes, tripped breakers not wind downed trees. Some towns got hit good with wind but for a tropical storm, Meh.

LOL..yeah you checked with CLP...OK :arrowhead: Keep getting excited about flooding which affects noone but a couple hicks

Agreed, glad you brought it up...

I remember saving these images from Skywarn Ray from the Russell event... I also spoke to Glenn Field at Taunton asking him about doing a survey, but they were too busy, it was too far, and not worth it to go to Russell. Don't blame him... But it was a very good "severe" proxy. Trees snapped off.

LOL..yeah you checked with CLP...OK :arrowhead: Keep getting excited about flooding which affects noone but a couple hicks

Kev, my job requires me to have contacts, you know it. Some areas got hit good but you saying the whole state got hit by T'S conditions is exaggerated. Huge power hits, tons of lightning. Hicks? Dude you live in Tolland.

Kev, my job requires me to have contacts, you know it. Some areas got hit good but you saying the whole state got hit by T'S conditions is exaggerated. Huge power hits, tons of lightning. Hicks? Dude you live in Tolland.

I never said the whole state got hit by TS conditions. I said the outages were comparable to TS conditions

Steve, you def get TOTD award, congrats, in some ways the sne thread is more fun offseason!

I remember saving these images from Skywarn Ray from the Russell event... I also spoke to Glenn Field at Taunton asking him about doing a survey, but they were too busy, it was too far, and not worth it to go to Russell. Don't blame him... But it was a very good "severe" proxy. Trees snapped off.

There was some talk there could have been a spin up tornado there along that line. Its really the same as straight line wind damage on those events, except that it might cause the direction of the damage to fan out in a brief area. Or perhaps a gustnado.

Yeah Ray got some good pics...I remember talking to him all day...he was all over the threat. I got discouraged at one point but he told me not too.

TOTD? Beer in hand, still kith ing, awesome 24 hours, glad this ball smegma creating sh. It is gone.

never listen to boomer and carton? troller ..........of the day! You made nipples cringe, you are one funny mofo, too bad we have never shared a brew together.

There was a big severe event the day before Bob hit. I think near PSM there was a fatality or two.

Wow, did not remember that, cool info. CLP down to 111K, had to stay at work until storm was over. No fun driving all the way back so I stayed, posted pics of the gust front. Excellent storm. No power issues at work which is a great thing.

Archived