• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Next shot at Severe storms: next Thu/Fri?

free_man

Connecticut Light & Power had one of their worst power outages from this thunderstorm. In fact it was the worst thunderstorm-related outage in 50 years. The area around Danbury still is a mess with a tremendous number of trees and wires down and roads still closed.

There were 210,000 customers without power at some point during or after the storm which makes it the worst outage since the November 19, 1986 snowstorm and only the 1973 ice storm, hurricane bob, and hurricane Gloria were worse.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Connecticut Light & Power had one of their worst power outages from this thunderstorm. In fact it was the worst thunderstorm-related outage in 50 years. The area around Danbury still is a mess with a tremendous number of trees and wires down and roads still closed.

There were 210,000 customers without power at some point during or after the storm which makes it the worst outage since the November 19, 1986 snowstorm and only the 1973 ice storm, hurricane bob, and hurricane Gloria were worse.

Sounds Meh. Mostly lightning

My dad lives in New Milford..He said Brookfield was a disaster area when I saw him yesterday. Said there is discussion from the NWS of a possible TOR. I hadn't heard that

I looked back at some radar images and didn't see any rotation. Seems like there was a fairly significant downburst in many of those towns near DXR on the leading edge of what was a very impressive bow echo.

I looked back at some radar images and didn't see any rotation. Seems like there was a fairly significant downburst in many of those towns near DXR on the leading edge of what was a very impressive bow echo.

;there was some rotation around the trumbull shelton area and se towards the port

I never saw anything that really jumped out at me in low levels. Most was pretty broad and never really tightened up.

I dont anything ever touched down, not at all, but I saw some rotation to my se over the sound over by st marys by the sea.

It was a nasty gust front for sure!!

There were unsubstantiated claims out of the hill towns west of the Quabbin (Leverett, Shutesbury) of residents who saw funnel clouds.

Quite a bit of damage none the less. This area had 20000 w/o power.

If you look at the video I posted the clouds are menacing and descending but not really rotating yet.

The aforementioned towns are about 10 miles east of where the video was shot.

meh.

Looks like there was a weak bookend vortex that developed north of the RIJ with a downburst and weak tornado. Not bad.

...TORNADO CONFIRMED NEAR WOODBURY CONNECTICUT...

...MOST OF DAMAGE DUE TO STRAIGHT LINE WINDS...

LOCATION...WOODBURY...LITCHFIELD COUNTY...CONNECTICUT...

DATE...JUNE 9 2011

ESTIMATED TIME...4:48 PM

MAXIMUM EF SCALE RATING...EF1

ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...100 MPH

ESTIMATED PATH WIDTH...30 YDS

PATH LENGTH...100 YDS

BEGINNING LAT/LON...41.5321...-73.2185

ENDING LAT/LON...41.5321...-73.2178

* FATALITIES...NONE

* INJURIES...NONE

* THE INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TO

CHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENT AND PUBLICATION IN

NWS STORM DATA.

...SUMMARY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY NEW YORK PERFORMED A STORM

SURVEY IN WOODBURY CONNECTICUT ON JUNE 13 2011. MOST OF THE DAMAGE

WAS TO HARDWOOD TREES AND WAS CONSISTENT WITH A MICROBURST WITH

WINDS MOVING FROM SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST. THE AREA OF DAMAGE WAS

APPROXIMATELY ONE MILE WIDE BY ONE AND A HALF MILES LONG. THE AREA

OF DAMAGE WAS BOUNDED ROUGHLY BY UPPER GRASSY HILL ROAD AND GREAT

HOLLOW ROAD. EYEWITNESS VIDEO AND PHOTOS INDICATED A FUNNEL CLOUD

MOVED OVER THE DAMAGE AREA. THE GROUND SURVEY INDICATED A BRIEF

TOUCHDOWN OF A TORNADO AT 140 GREAT HOLLOW ROAD.

Archived