• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Next shot at Severe storms: next Thu/Fri?

free_man

A little too soon to start talking about the end of next week potential? As always, timing and other major differences/ issues are present, but it looks like something to watch as most of the global models have a s/w passing through and also a favorable mid-upper air wind direction for this area.

GGEM

f144.gif

Euro

f144.gif

gfsf144.gif

UKMet

f144.gif

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good job!

Yes, this was noticeable over the last couple days, regarding the end of the week. Thinking is Friday ...or timing differences perhaps honing Saturday.

Currently in the MV there are excessive heat advisories. This trapped air appears prone to being pulled up and NE across the OV/MA and possibly NE late in the week, for there being modeled by the G models a transient re-assertion of eastern heights ..coming into timing/phase with lower tropospheric veering of winds through he eastern U.S. As you have outlined, there is also cyclonic curvature along with accelerating winds with height at some point in the Thur-Sat time frame, while these other synoptic evolutions are taking place.

(Side note, could be one day of near excessive heat - growing signal in the middle range guidance)

This type of longitudinal trough is better for severe, because the helicity is not conserved around the meridional flow, but is left wide open by the structure of having W wind at mid levels riding over S wind at the surface. It's potential vorticity (not exhausted) where suspending vector in the vertical will tend to realize that potential. This was recently consequential in the area. Could see a nascent warm sector arrival with whip result DP and heat then having to contend with destablizing mid levels and favorable jet mechanics during the time frame.

I was going to start a thread about this but you beat me to it :thumbsup:

Good job!

Yes, this was noticeable over the last couple days, regarding the end of the week. Thinking is Friday ...or timing differences perhaps honing Saturday.

Currently in the MV there are excessive heat advisories. This trapped air appears prone to being pulled up and NE across the OV/MA and possibly NE late in the week, for there being modeled by the G models a transient re-assertion of eastern heights ..coming into timing/phase with lower tropospheric veering of winds through he eastern U.S. As you have outlined, there is also cyclonic curvature along with accelerating winds with height at some point in the Thur-Sat time frame, while these other synoptic evolutions are taking place.

(Side note, could be one day of near excessive heat - growing signal in the middle range guidance)

This type of longitudinal trough is better for severe, because the helicity is not conserved around the meridional flow, but is left wide open by the structure of having W wind at mid levels riding over S wind at the surface. It's potential vorticity (not exhausted) where suspending vector in the vertical will tend to realize that potential. This was recently consequential in the area. Could see a nascent warm sector arrival with whip result DP and heat then having to contend with destablizing mid levels and favorable jet mechanics during the time frame.

I was going to start a thread about this but you beat me to it :thumbsup:

BIrving has been on FIYAHHH!

Your track record in June is worth noting... at least something to pay attention to

thanks,

It is nice to see activity on the distant horizon, while we enjoy the relaxing, but boring sunny days.

12z gfs ensembles and also the 12z Euro like the Thursday afternoon idea, for now.

This is kind of like you just had the Blizzard of 78 or Superstorm 93 and how do you come close to matching that with the next event or any event..... I'm sure nothing else this year comes close.

thanks,

It is nice to see activity on the distant horizon, while we enjoy the relaxing, but boring sunny days.

12z gfs ensembles and also the 12z Euro like the Thursday afternoon idea, for now.

Euro looks like it gets a decent airmass in here, but the low levels are quite veered, so we'd probably struggle to maintain very high dews and directional shear would be minimal. Of course, given its 5 days out, a lot can change.

This is kind of like you just had the Blizzard of 78 or Superstorm 93 and how do you come close to matching that with the next event or any event..... I'm sure nothing else this year comes close.

In January of 1978 SNE had a pretty decent blizzard that had people shakng their heads. Then came Feb 6

jk

I could see a decent bunch of thnderstorms but I am thinking we have used up our allotment of severe for a while

You guys have anyway ...I didn't even get measurable rain that day. I'm happy though to have dry wx because I was utterly worn out mowing the lawn so much.

In January of 1978 SNE had a pretty decent blizzard that had people shakng their heads. Then came Feb 6

jk

I could see a decent bunch of thnderstorms but I am thinking we have used up our allotment of severe for a while

Big events can come in twos, or threes. Goes back to the whole "due" argument. lol 1954...'nuff said! I'd say we are still 5:1 odds for another major severe outbreak before June ends, perhaps OV lakes or NE centered.

Not at all saying this time frame will be anything like last week. Just giving a heads up , there's upside potential as long as we keep this general early Summer pattern.

GFS and EC have another EML or "near-EML" event for thurs. Our study dataset showed that when it rains it pours....you can go several years without having a single event, but then some years the pattern is favorable for quite awhile and you can get several events in one season (1995 for instance). We'll see.

GFS and EC have another EML or "near-EML" event for thurs. Our study dataset showed that when it rains it pours....you can go several years without having a single event, but then some years the pattern is favorable for quite awhile and you can get several events in one season (1995 for instance). We'll see.

That's very interesting data, 95 hmm, winter correlation!

You guys have anyway ...I didn't even get measurable rain that day. I'm happy though to have dry wx because I was utterly worn out mowing the lawn so much.

We didn;t get a huge amount of rain IMBY, just a couple of showers and one gully washer with pea sized hail.

Some of the scariest looking clouds I have ever seen though. Very eerie at one point when the wind died down and it was silent. I just got out and filmed the sky for a bit.

It looks like a good trajectory to get an EML in here, but right now the low level flow looks veered which is not favorable for keeping dews excessively high and high helicity. But those latter parameters can change pretty easily this far out.

That's very interesting data, 95 hmm, winter correlation!

I as thinking that as well. Especially if we go to weak Nina which I think we may. As of this moment, I'm on board for a rather mild and relatively snow free winter but it's too early for me to officially forecast and it can change. Mid-late summer will give me a better signal.

This is is a brilliant point imo - I was speaking to another Met about this and that statistics hide flurries of events, where then years may go by where you get less activity overall. Most of the numbers are because of that one season.

Putting that aside for a moment, we have a heat bulge centered ~ 100W throwing heat wedges at us that are truncated by longitudinal waves passing over the crest of the ridge - this is a prone positive helicity regime in the means.

I as thinking that as well. Especially if we go to weak Nina which I think we may. As of this moment, I'm on board for a rather mild and relatively snow free winter but it's too early for me to officially forecast and it can change. Mid-late summer will give me a better signal.

Last year in June you were singing the tune, this year in May I didn't like what you had to say, this post shows a peek at what you will eventually speak. You'll fold and finally see what a great winter it will surely be.

This is is a brilliant point imo - I was speaking to another Met about this and that statistics hide flurries of events, where then years may go by where you get less activity overall. Most of the numbers are because of that one season.

Putting that aside for a moment, we have a heat bulge centered ~ 100W throwing heat wedges at us that are truncated by longitudinal waves passing over the crest of the ridge - this is a prone positive helicity regime in the means.

Wiz is aroused.

Archived