• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Next shot at Severe storms: next Thu/Fri?

free_man

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick soundings question? What does the dashed blue line to the left, solid blue line in the middle and dashed blue line to the right indicate? Just starting to learn soundings.. thanks

Here are a few links you should check out.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/sfctest/help/sfcoa.html

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/thermo/skewt/

Thanks wiz.. thoughts on tomorrow and Thursday?

Well tomorrow we are going to have extreme instability along with advecting EML.

SBcapes should get to 4000-6000 J/KG, MLcapes around 3000-4000 J/KG, MUcape values 4500-5500 J/KG, LI values around -9C to -12C, TT in the mid to upper 50's, K index close to 30, and SI index between -5 and -7...these numbers are ridiculous for this area.

Shear does increase BIG time late in the afternoon and early evening.

As mentioned already were going to be pretty capped off, especially with 500mb heights rising...convective temp is also in the mid 90's.

I'm not sure if the warm front will be enough alone to provide the lift needed in order to break the cap though.

As for Thursday this looks very interesting...definitely potential for a significant damaging wind event across northern New England...NAM/GFS also different here but if we see any individual cells they could develop into supercells and perhaps generate the threat for an isolated tornado. I think though any line that develops will maintain and hit SNE, either during the night hours or very early AM Friday.

GFS really mixes out dew points like crazy on Thursday. Drops dew points into the 50s Thursday afternoon and really limits the amount of CAPE.

Yeah I could see that.

In fact, I wouldn't be shocked at some good tstms tomorrow...I agree. Thursday still looks decent on the Euro.

Yeah I could see that.

In fact, I wouldn't be shocked at some good tstms tomorrow...I agree. Thursday still looks decent on the Euro.

GFS switches the whole thing around with Wed being good so who knows. NAM/GFS are very impressive tomorrow evening.

Things are so conducive down here if we can initiate storms in upstate ny things could get fun after 7 pm

I think during the day is a lost cause

Sometimes you get a little s/w accompanying the warm push like what Phil was describing earlier. Sometimes an area of tstms develops right along or just behind the warm front itself.

Things are so conducive down here if we can initiate storms in upstate ny things could get fun after 7 pm

Christ man thats the last thing anyone in Springfield needs to hear.thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Well if we can break through the cap we may not get an organized area of convection but we could get some discrete cells which could become supercells.

Shear parameters look borderline around SNE but maybe enough for supercells given the strong instability. Upper level winds really aren't anything to write home about so I doubt these would be the long lived classic cells like the last event, but this is only if anything manages to fire anyway.

yeah pretty capped off. yeah maybe looking west/north for something then traversing southeastward. the cap is definitely weaker from RUT SW to ALB etc....so maybe some stuff fires off and then moves through with that quasi-warm front sometime late evening.

that's actually what the BTV wrf is showing.

Shear parameters look borderline around SNE but maybe enough for supercells given the strong instability. Upper level winds really aren't anything to write home about so I doubt these would be the long lived classic cells like the last event, but this is only if anything manages to fire anyway.

Here's the GFS at 21z for BDL. .. UL winds aren't strong as you mention but there's a sneaky layer of mid level winds near 650mb of near 40 knots.

post-40-0-39448100-1307475920.png

ha ha. we should expect something like that again around here in about 18 years. LOL.

Archived