• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Next shot at Severe storms: next Thu/Fri?

free_man

Yeah Phil and others were nothing that yesterday as a possible initiation point for some storms.

It is interesting that the GFS really dries out the mid levels tonight. I'm not sure if it's right or not, but it has been a feature for the last few runs. FWIW anyways.

As good a reason as any...and we really don't need much with such high heat anyway... Westfield Mass just went 93/67 ! Hi res vis imagery shows that cell around ALY is a crispy CB with explosive anvil sprawl/generation... There is also a cell popping just SW of it, as well as one entering Vermont. loopding DOES suggest this is taking place along some kind of thermodynamic interface

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Phil and others were nothing that yesterday as a possible initiation point for some storms.

It is interesting that the GFS really dries out the mid levels tonight. I'm not sure if it's right or not, but it has been a feature for the last few runs. FWIW anyways.

Yeah that little theta-e bump has been pretty well modeled. It moves right across sne overnight. You can actually see the pwat values spike ~midnight give or take.

The couple cells near Albany dance around me at the office...first went just north, second sliding just south. Just some thunder here, and a few big fat raindrops from the first cell. Sounds like we missed out on the hail by 0.5 mi or so.

And the line coming out of Ontario weakening quite a bit as it comes into the US. What gives?

Laid 35 tons[\u] of gravel today for 10.5 hrs...

Sounds fun....

You need to find a "real" construction crew where smoking and drinking coffee while chatting at the sides are the main activities. You're doing way too much construction to be working construction.

And 14 bucks an hour is a crappy salary. Especially for that work.

Sounds fun....

You need to find a "real" construction crew where smoking and drinking coffee while chatting at the sides are the main activities. You're doing way too much construction to be working construction.

Landscaping actually FYI

Sounds fun....

For a summer job for a youngster with no trade? OT somehow those roads get built, must be one hard worker. Surprised at your elitist stance, well...

TStorms popping like crazy for Alb, why are they in clear air mode or is it me?

Landscaping actually FYI

Ah, OK...I dabbled in that a bit last summer after I got home from a cooking job in Montana. I was doing small-scale personal projects at private residences, however...mowing and trimming and the like. Helped out skierinvermont for a couple days when I was visiting, thought about going back to CT to work more but was tired from 10 weeks in the kitchen at 45-50 hrs/week with a bitchy boss. I was also making 14 bucks an hour when I worked with him, which was better than the absolute garbage I got paid in MT ($9.25/hour), though certainly not great. We've all done our share of low-paying jobs as students, although I was lucky to start working for a newspaper when I was 17 that paid me $75/article to work in the sports section, great money for someone my age, and a very interesting gig. Allowed me to make like 6 or 7k in a summer with just writing 10 hours a week and then doing a few weeks at a pizza shop delivering like 60 hrs/week to catch those extra bucks while I took it easy the rest of the summer.

For a summer job for a youngster with no trade? OT somehow those roads get built, must be one hard worker. Surprised at your elitist stance, well...

How is it elitist? I think we all know that those state construction crews making 40-50 bucks/hr sometimes take a few too many breaks. I was friends with a long-time construction worker for a while, and I know that the work can be very exhausting and dangerous, so maybe they deserve those cigarette breaks. It seems like they take more cig and coffee breaks in a day than I would feel comfortable taking in a week, however. It's sort of a joke though, we all know the stereotype about the construction crew taking 3 years to finish a new lane with the workers being curiously absent from the project for much of the day. Doesn't mean all of them are lazy, though, obviously.

I guess 14/hr isn't terrible for a summer job. If you have a car though, I'd suggest doing delivery for a restaurant if you don't mind driving. I've done it as a side job for 5 years for various places, now working at a Japanese restaurant. I make like 20 bucks/hr just to sit at the wheel and drive around, doobie in hand with the radio blasting. Never had a problem finding work. I used to drive for a very busy pizza shop on Friday and Saturday nights, would do 20-25 deliveries in a night over 5 hrs, come home with 120-130 bucks. Certainly a lot better than standing out in 100F temperatures laying tons of concrete. Gets boring after a while, but the decent salary for easy work and the payment being all cash (no taxes!) is an advantage. My life is taking me into more serious work like teaching and tutoring now, but it's been OK as a side gig.

Archived