• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Next shot at Severe storms: next Thu/Fri?

free_man

Still looks decent for severe to make it down into SNE late tomorrow aftn/evening. There also appears to be a chance for some sort of MCS or at least some sct activity possible into wrn areas this evening and then maybe later on tonight over the rest of SNE. However, those chances are highly dependent on what happens upstream today.

yeah there's still that little theta-e bump that crosses through SNE overnight..it's a bit later now vs yesterday's runs but you can still see it there. i think pretty much the way you've described it is the way to look at it for today/tonight. look to see if any activity can fire off to the west this afternoon where the cap is weaker and maybe that stuff runs ESE into W MA/CT...and you get a couple of severe warned cells out of it...then see if that feature moving overhead can spark some kind of activity between like 10PM and 4AM.

hrrr does have some isolated stuff out in W MA / NYS by 21z or so

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah there's still that little theta-e bump that crosses through SNE overnight..it's a bit later now vs yesterday's runs but you can still see it there. i think pretty much the way you've described it is the way to look at it for today/tonight. look to see if any activity can fire off to the west this afternoon where the cap is weaker and maybe that stuff runs ESE into W MA/CT...and you get a couple of severe warned cells out of it...then see if that feature moving overhead can spark some kind of activity between like 10PM and 4AM.

hrrr does have some isolated stuff out in W MA / NYS by 21z or so

You should be somewhat intrigued by the next 36 hrs or so. This type of flow is great for the Cape.

Yeah also helps just having the marine layer kept away....reduces the strength of the cape cod canal convection force field. :lol:

However, I always wondered why that area near Sagamore and South Plymouth can get some good cells. Must be the exhaust from Messenger's John Deere creating powerful updrafts.

A lot of convection in Canada and MI, I wonder if that can hold into NE.. with these lapse rates and cape, we should see them explode if it comes in at the right time

If you're really watching the MI radars looking for storms, the only thing exploding will be your monitor when your fist goes through it. Tomorrow looks like a better day.

Viciously disagree.

I hope he is right, however this is SNE and we need a good trigger. so much damn hot air , w flow, heights rising (or neutral, says box), no real solid mechanism for lift...these setups just don't work out too often. The actual parameters are very good, not often we see good lapse rates, >2000j/kg sbcape and o.k. wind field

NNE, different story, of course.

I hope he is right, however this is SNE and we need a good trigger. so much damn hot air , w flow, heights rising, no real solid mechanism for lift...these setups just don't work out too often. The actual parameters are very good, not often we see good lapse rates, >2000j/kg sbcape and o.k. wind field

NNE, different story, of course.

Yeah I'm not really expecting much of anything at all this evening...perhaps just a few isolated storms but that's it.

I think though the biggest threat would be hail, not winds. WBZ/freezing heights are actually quite low, you have high helicity, and very steep ML lapse rates...not a great deal of speed shear...decent but I think everything points to more in the way of hail rather than damaging winds.

Yeah I'm not really expecting much of anything at all this evening...perhaps just a few isolated storms but that's it.

I think though the biggest threat would be hail, not winds. WBZ/freezing heights are actually quite low, you have high helicity, and very steep ML lapse rates...not a great deal of speed shear...decent but I think everything points to more in the way of hail rather than damaging winds.

All of your drinking has made you go blind

wbz was like 11k on the 12z nam ...heh

Well when instability stays or increases after sunset like this, you often get surprises. A little cooling at 500, and the whole ball game may change. Triggers arent always that obvious, especially when you get these instability numbers. Its low probability, but look out!

Well when instability stays or increases after sunset like this, you often get surprises. A little cooling at 500, and the whole ball game may change. Triggers arent always that obvious, especially when you get these instability numbers. Its low probability, but look out!

Instability will be decreasing after sunset. 500mb is warming, not cooling, overall. Not sure about the last part.

Archived