• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Next shot at Severe storms: next Thu/Fri?

free_man

Upstate NY through northern central VT/NH and parts of ME.

Airmass is going to be extremely unstable and wind profile should mainly be unidirectional, not a great deal of shear in place but along/just behind the cold front exist a great deal of shear...so the closer to the front the better.

Forecast soundings (at least at BTV) actually have a loaded gun look to them which is pretty damn impressive.

Well with you going north, we can probably lock in a derecho down here. All we need is for Kevin to downplay it.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upstate NY through northern central VT/NH and parts of ME.

Airmass is going to be extremely unstable and wind profile should mainly be unidirectional, not a great deal of shear in place but along/just behind the cold front exist a great deal of shear...so the closer to the front the better.

Forecast soundings (at least at BTV) actually have a loaded gun look to them which is pretty damn impressive.

Ill be in Littleton, NH on Thursday for work 830 to 12.. might stay for a while up there

Well with you going north, we can probably lock in a derecho down here. All we need is for Kevin to downplay it.

If that happens I'm telling my friend to just nose dive off a cliff.

I know this is pretty damn rare here but I could actually see a severe squall line make it into SNE either overnight Thursday or during the early AM hours of Friday...something like that is rare here but it has happened before...and if you look at the instances it has the setup is quite similar.

Very unstable airmass, not a great deal of shear over the region but great shear just along/behind the front with a good deal of mid/upper level support...that's what's lacking across SNE Thursday...the support.

If that happens I'm telling my friend to just nose dive off a cliff.

I know this is pretty damn rare here but I could actually see a severe squall line make it into SNE either overnight Thursday or during the early AM hours of Friday...something like that is rare here but it has happened before...and if you look at the instances it has the setup is quite similar.

Very unstable airmass, not a great deal of shear over the region but great shear just along/behind the front with a good deal of mid/upper level support...that's what's lacking across SNE Thursday...the support.

Yea I mean 95-100 degree F and high dews should spark isolated storms in itself..

Yea I mean 95-100 degree F and high dews should spark isolated storms in itself..

Well were likely going to be capped so were going to need some sort of lifting mechanism to break through the cap, this is also why places further north in New england stand a better chance. Thursday also doesn't look like much of a sea breeze type of day either (unless the wind direction shifts)...regardless I'm not so sure if the sea-breeze would even really be strong enough to break through the cap...but it will also depend on the strength of the cap.

The NAM definitely has a remnant EML in the soundings. You could get a straight line wind event out of that...tornado threat would be appear to be minimal with lack of backed low levels.

Yeah, we'll have an at least one EML plume come overhead starting tomorrow night...and probably have busts of steep lapse rates through thurs.

Yeah, we'll have an at least one EML plume come overhead starting tomorrow night...and probably have busts of steep lapse rates through thurs.

What do you think at the chance of one of those nocturnal straight line wind events from an MCS? I don't want to necessarily go as far as saying a derecho though that would obviously be the most intense scenario.

Maybe a complex can sneak over the top of that ridge and come in from the WNW or NW and take advantage of the EML.

What do you think at the chance of one of those nocturnal straight line wind events from an MCS? I don't want to necessarily go as far as saying a derecho though that would obviously be the most intense scenario.

Maybe a complex can sneak over the top of that ridge and come in from the WNW or NW and take advantage of the EML.

Northeast derechos tend to need 70+ dewpoints...and oftentimes higher. However, I could see some sort of MCS.

The ecmwf may be hinting at a quebec mcs wed night that affects northernmost VT eastward to caribou's forecast area thurs. Looks like something else up there 24 hours earlier too. given the strength of the ridging, that's probably where it will be if it happens...not so much SNE. SNE would probably be more prone to diurnal afternoon/evening stuff if the cap isn't too strong.

Get to them and get inside them...you can also see some good structures actually if you get up on a hill and get a good viewing spot.

If you find yourself in the Burlington area, Overlook Park off Spear Street in South Burlington is a great spot to watch storms come across the lake. Another good spot a litle further north is Watertower Hill off I-89 Exit 16 in Colchester.

We have a private model here centered over QC based on the WRF ARW. Unlike the WRF NMM it doesn't break any convection in S-QC on Wed, everything seems to stay north of the ridge (we simulate up to 72h on a 10km res and we have a smaller domain doing 36 hours at 3km).

post-5801-0-71661100-1307412065.png

Earlier from SPC

VALID 091200Z - 141200Z

...DISCUSSION...

NRN-STREAM SHORTWAVE TROUGH AND PRECEDING SFC CYCLONE SHOULD MOVE

EWD ACROSS PORTIONS QUE/ONT DAY-4/9TH-10TH...WITH TRAILING COLD

FRONT MOVING EWD OVER PORTIONS NY/NEW ENGLAND AND LOWER GREAT LAKES

REGION. PROGS AGREE REMARKABLY WELL ON THIS GEN SCENARIO WITH ONLY

MINOR TIMING DIFFERENCES. SRN RIM OF HEIGHT FALLS SHOULD CORRESPOND

TO THAT OF FAVORABLE DEEP-LAYER DIRECTIONAL SHEAR. MEANWHILE

SEASONALLY STG COLD FRONT SHOULD IMPINGE ON RICHLY MOIST BOUNDARY

LAYER CONTAINING 60S TO ISOLATED 70S SFC DEW POINTS. SUCH SCENARIO

FAVORS CONCENTRATION OF CONVECTIVE WIND POTENTIAL...CURRENTLY MOST

PROBABLE OVER NRN NY/NRN NEW ENGLAND CORRIDOR.

Something to watch may be Thu nite? if front has the push to make it through C/E New England. There should be plenty of elevated instability to work with.

From BOX

VERY UNSTABLE AGAIN THU WITH POSSIBLE EML ENVIRONMENT BUT WILL

HAVE TO CONTEND WITH THE CAP AND MID LEVEL DRY AIR. IT MAY END UP

DRY MOST OF THE DAY BUT WILL CONTINUE WITH SLIGHT CHC POPS. BEST

CHC TSTMS AND SEVERE WX MAY BE THU NIGHT AS THE COLD FRONT DROPS

SWD FROM NORTHERN NEW ENG.

:thumbsup:

Archived