• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Next shot at Severe storms: next Thu/Fri?

free_man

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sister said there is pretty extensive tree damage in wilton ct.

The gust front was what really impressed me, and the clouds, was def some rotation for a while just east of here and a tor sig up for a bit on wr, but whatever, great event, 6/1 spoiled many i guess, but I certainly dont ever want any part of that ****, never.

I wouldn't go that far, but 50-60mph winds will due tons of damage to foliated trees. Imagine a Cat 1 storm...lol.

The aerial coverage of the squall line was impressive as it went all the way into Maine. But there were probably very few areas that got severe criteria winds. When it was first entering New England, I thought we'd see more widespread 60+ mph gusts, but it just never really strengthened anymore. But it did have an impressive coverage of areas that got 40-45mph winds. Most people got winds of that strength.

The aerial coverage of the squall line was impressive as it went all the way into Maine. But there were probably very few areas that got severe criteria winds. When it was first entering New England, I thought we'd see more widespread 60+ mph gusts, but it just never really strengthened anymore. But it did have an impressive coverage of areas that got 40-45mph winds. Most people got winds of that strength.

Don't agree. 40-45 mph winds don';t cause the damage like we saw in CT

Well there were some 50-55mph winds too...KHFD gusted to 49 knots which is nearly severe criteria. Litchfield county probably had severe criteria too...but most areas were in the 40-50 range. You'd see some better ASOS reports if there was widespread severe criteria.

As Scott said, you can still get good tree damage on foliated trees with 50mph winds.

Well there were some 50-55mph winds too...KHFD gusted to 49 knots which is nearly severe criteria. Litchfield county probably had severe criteria too...but most areas were in the 40-50 range. You'd see some better ASOS reports if there was widespread severe criteria.

As Scott said, you can still get good tree damage on foliated trees with 50mph winds.

Given the number of power outages outside of areas covered well by ASOS reports I tend to think Kevin is right at least here in CT. There were some pretty wide swaths with widespread tree and powerline damage in NE CT, Western CT, and around Old Saybrook.

Given the number of power outages outside of areas covered well by ASOS reports I tend to think Kevin is right at least here in CT. There were some pretty wide swaths with widespread tree and powerline damage in NE CT, Western CT, and around Old Saybrook.

:o :o :o :o :o

This is something you don't hear everyday.

Hearing of the Tropical Storm conditions which decimated CT. I left work and drove the 33 miles backroads through Ledyard, N Stoinington, Voluntown, Sterling, to home in Moosup. Found the most extraordinary results, not one limb, tree down, most amazingly after a Tropical storm there were no leaves litter on any road. Miracle. Then I checked, most of the outages from CLP were from lightning strikes, tripped breakers not wind downed trees. Some towns got hit good with wind but for a tropical storm, Meh.

You would have crapped your pants. It was a small little zap, but I had to check my condo to make sure it was ok. Turns out the pole got hit or at least some sort of streamer hit it. It had a weird burning smell outside too.

I bet...

Last year on 6/6/11 lightning hit a tree within a few hundred feet of our car...closest I've ever been to a strike and that freaked me out...can't imagine what happened to you...must have been scary.

People over estimate windspeeds...and usually give a lack of respect to 50-55mph gusts with foliage on trees. I definitely think there were pockets of severe criteria, but on the whole I doubt it was widespread.

You'd have to actually see the all the damage to get a better idea. So many compromised trees and branches will succumb to 45-55 mph winds.

Yep, Woodstock, NW CT rest are lightning related mostly.

I bet...

Last year on 6/6/11 lightning hit a tree within a few hundred feet of our car...closest I've ever been to a strike and that freaked me out...can't imagine what happened to you...must have been scary.

My neighbor had the same issue working on his house. He just looked at me and said..." Do you feel a slight jolt?" LOL. Anyways, that's why you don't shower in tstms.

Archived