• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Model runs for 12/7-8 wintry threat

GaWx

00z Canadian looks a lot "wetter" across SE Texas and SW Louisiana at 144 hours :)

No question that the 0Z Thu CMC is a good bit better than the lousy 0Z Thu GFS. Now, compared to the 12Z CMC, the low/main moisture/cold air is ~125 miles further south. That means that later panels would likely have the 0C 850 line close to the Gulf coast unlike the 12Z run. However, it would very likely also be drier there vs. the 12Z CMC. Regardless, this does mean that this run MAY suggest it be just cold enough for some snow near some of the Gulf coast late 12/7 to 12/8, which wasn't the case on the 12Z run.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whereas the 0Z Thu Euro is somewhat better than the 12Z Wed Euro for 12/8 with the further west trough axis, it still isn't far enough west to do much good. Nevertheless, it does allow for up to ~0.15" of qpf in central LA vs. none on the 12Z run and may be indicative of a better trend tomorrow. See you at 6Z. Nighty night, folks.

Whereas the 0Z Thu Euro is somewhat better than the 12Z Wed Euro for 12/8 with the further west trough axis, it still isn't far enough west to do much good. Nevertheless, it does allow for up to ~0.15" of qpf in central LA vs. none on the 12Z run and may be indicative of a better trend tomorrow. See you at 6Z. Nighty night, folks.

Well going out into fantasy land, the 240hr euro is actually quite interesting, with nice classical CAD setting up as the 500mb low is still parked in southeast Canada as the next upper level impulse comes in.

Well going out into fantasy land, the 240hr euro is actually quite interesting, with nice classical CAD setting up as the 500mb low is still parked in southeast Canada as the next upper level impulse comes in.

Yep that last frame is certainly interesting....verbatim though its too warm for the SE of course in those situations it usually doesn't account for the evap cooling so it could happen.

In the southeast, how can you write a storm off 5 days in advance? I know the conditions don't appear to be going to happen but it is definately gonna be cold. As longa s we get cold we can get snow. And with the way the models flip-flop, you never know what kind of swing the next run brings. We won't know anything until our storm actually gets here.

In the southeast, how can you write a storm off 5 days in advance? I know the conditions don't appear to be going to happen but it is definately gonna be cold. As longa s we get cold we can get snow. And with the way the models flip-flop, you never know what kind of swing the next run brings. We won't know anything until our storm actually gets here.

It's all about playing the odds and looking at the trends. It's what Allan does, he makes forecasts. He does mention things can change, but what is not arguable is that the major ensembles are trending away from something major as we get closer to the event. We usually have people on board the ship when it goes down, but seems prudent to look for the future threat at this point and be happy if something does come back.

With that said, If I were in the deep south, I'd still be listening and keeping an eye on things, but areas like TN/VA/NC...........nah. JMO

How does the Sat/Sun clipper factor into the 12/7-12/8 system? Does it's track and/or strength off of the coast effect the strong blocking high or the ability for the next system's north movement? I still think that it's too early to write off the significant winter storm possibilty this far out.

Yes, and Yes. It's all intertwined together. I think the clipper is supposed to bomb off the coast and then help strengthen the huge vortex which will act to keep us cold and unfortunately, dry. Oh yeah (off topic), but as a Vikings fan, it was very hard for me to even respond to this. hahaha.

How does the Sat/Sun clipper factor into the 12/7-12/8 system? Does it's track and/or strength off of the coast effect the strong blocking high or the ability for the next system's north movement? I still think that it's too early to write off the significant winter storm possibilty this far out.

I think the GFS is overdoing the blocking anyways. JMO

That's a very strong vortex. Maybe it's over doing it, however, the European model is showing something similar. I was hoping for weakening and a more realistic solution for the vortex. It seams very early to have such a strong vortex as depicted on the global models. How long until all of the players are better sampled?

From my untrained eyes it seems to me that the 12 Euro is not as cold as the GFS is through 120-168 hours. The Euro during it's whole run doesn't bring the 850 0 degree line into Florida, and the 540 line isn't as far south. Both of the GFS at 144 has it's 850 freezing line splitting Florida in half with -10 creeping into northern GA. Thoughts?

From my untrained eyes it seems to me that the 12 Euro is not as cold as the GFS is through 120-168 hours. The Euro during it's whole run doesn't bring the 850 0 degree line into Florida, and the 540 line isn't as far south. Both of the GFS at 144 has it's 850 freezing line splitting Florida in half with -10 creeping into northern GA. Thoughts?

GFS is always too cold.

That's a very strong vortex. Maybe it's over doing it, however, the European model is showing something similar. I was hoping for weakening and a more realistic solution for the vortex. It seams very early to have such a strong vortex as depicted on the global models. How long until all of the players are better sampled?

Yep, I think it will be of note if the gfs can nail blocking and cold so intense from this far out. Might be good for the rest of the winter to get some calibration on the model reading. All last year the gfs came north, this year it might play different with the cold bias...but I doubt it :) T

Archived