• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 26-28 severe risk

Ian

0.99" of rain in my gauge...cooler air in here now.

This was one heck of a severe system to track. It reminds me of the May 1985 tornado outbreak that I experienced in Ohio as far as excitement level. Though all I had to track anything back then was the TV, weather radio and listening to 2 meter hams on the scanner. No internet or PCs back then.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was one heck of a severe system to track. It reminds me of the May 1985 tornado outbreak that I experienced in Ohio as far as excitement level. Though all I had to track anything back then was the TV, weather radio and listening to 2 meter hams on the scanner. No internet or PCs back then.

I agree. The May 1985 outbreak was very unique for the number of intense tornadoes. PA experienced its first F5 and we had an F3 come through my hometown leveling a shopping center. Unfortunately, 9 died there. Warning or lead time was unheard of like it is today.

Here's a sobering thought to start your day - Jim Cantore just reported 173 deaths in 5 states, with over 100 in Alabama alone.

Makes our tornado watch seem so insignificant compared to what happened yesterday in the south :(

stunning...

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 845 AM EDT FOR BALTIMORE...FREDERICK AND CARROLL COUNTIES...

AT 800 AM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO INDICATE A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR WESTMINSTER...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 50 MPH.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE... HAMPSTEAD... GREENMOUNT... MANCHESTER... MILLERS... LINEBORO...

I see the line (or what looks like a line) back to the west trying to form, but get the impression, tornado watch til 3:00 pm notwithstanding, that the set-up for the supercell storms that plagued the south over the last two days isn't quite as favorable this morning here. Am I off-base with that impression?

no, yesterday was a generational outbreak

I see the line (or what looks like a line) back to the west trying to form, but get the impression, tornado watch til 3:00 pm notwithstanding, that the set-up for the supercell storms that plagued the south over the last two days isn't quite as favorable this morning here. Am I off-base with that impression?

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR... CARROLL COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL MARYLAND... BALTIMORE COUNTY IN NORTHERN MARYLAND...

* UNTIL 915 AM EDT

* AT 842 AM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO NEAR WESTMINSTER...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 55 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE... MANCHESTER... HAMPSTEAD...

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW. MOVE TO AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A STURDY BUILDING AND AVOID WINDOWS. IF OUTDOORS OR IN A MOBILE HOME OR VEHICLE...MOVE TO THE CLOSEST SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER AND PROTECT YOURSELF FROM FLYING DEBRIS.

Yeah, not to downplay the potential for some severe weather here, but I've never seen parameters like I saw yesterday!

Yup, thanks. Wasn't particularly concerned about a repeat of Cullman, but am trying to better learn to read the severe storm maps myself and what I am looking at didn't appear to have the same ingredients even though technically the same system.

Good morning all. Have been up since 4:30 am with our first tornado warning. And have been down in our safe room 3 more times after that. This training line of storms is continuous over my house in the Ballenger Creek area of Frederick Co. Sent the oldest off to school but am nervous. It has been rough up here and we are all tired.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

853 AM EDT THU APR 28 2011

.SYNOPSIS...

-- Changed Discussion --A COLD FRONT ALONG THE BLUE RIDGE WILL CROSS THE REGION THROUGH

THE EARLY AFTERNOON. HIGH PRESSURE BUILDING IN AT THE END OF THE

WEEK WILL BRING DRIER AND COOLER CONDITIONS THROUGH THE WEEKEND.

ANOTHER COLD FRONT MAY IMPACT THE AREA MONDAY OR TUESDAY.-- End Changed Discussion --

&&

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...

-- Changed Discussion --NEW TOR WATCH 251 IN EFFECT FOR COUNTIES EAST OF THE BLUE RIDGE

UNTIL 3 PM. SETUP STILL FAVORABLE FOR TORNADOES ALONG THE LINE OF

STORMS NEAR THE COLD FRONT. DUE TO THE SLOW FORWARD PROGRESSION OF

THE FRONT...LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL AND FLASH FLOODING HAS BECOME A

HIGHER THREAT. HAVE ISSUED A FLASH FLOOD WATCH FOR COUNTIES ALONG

THE BLUE RIDGE UNTIL NOON AND COUNTIES ALONG AND EAST OF I-95

UNTIL 3 PM.

Nice call The Dude

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

914 AM EDT THU APR 28 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

CARROLL COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL MARYLAND...

FREDERICK COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL MARYLAND...

HOWARD COUNTY IN CENTRAL MARYLAND...

MONTGOMERY COUNTY IN CENTRAL MARYLAND...

BALTIMORE COUNTY IN NORTHERN MARYLAND...

* UNTIL 945 AM EDT

* AT 909 AM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO NEAR DAMASCUS...

MOVING NORTHEAST AT 45 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

MOUNT AIRY...

ELDERSBURG...

GAMBER...

WESTMINSTER...

HAMPSTEAD...

MANCHESTER...

Archived