• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
2010-2011 SNE snowfall map

ORH_wxman

This is mostly an SNE map, but I have a large area of NYC metro on this map too, so I'd ask for snowfall totals from your area too. I try to get the totals as accurate as possible down there but my main focus will be the SNE area as I'm sure you can understand. If your BY is on this map, then I'd appreciate an accurate total. As I say below in the original post, please no faux weenie totals. I had several last year in NJ and I got about 10 PMs telling me certain posters were giving me bad info and then provided me with info that verified those totals were bogus. I want accurate totals. Most of you have been a great help in my past maps. Very much appreciated.

I've been looking at the medium range guidance and its becoming less and less likely we'll see another accumulating snow event for even the higher terrain of SNE. There always remains the possibility we get something later in the month, but I'm going to start the map anyway as those chances are remote. If I need to add a couple inches from a slop event in a few spots, then I'll do that. I was mostly making sure we didn't get a more widespread event and the chances of that drop off rapidly after the first 2 weeks of April.

So here's the blank map, if you live on this map, then post your totals. No faux weenie totals either, as I will QCing the data before plotting it.

20102011snesnowfall.png

Here are the previous 4 seasons I have plotted:

20092010snesnowfall.png

Resized to 98% (was 752 x 578) - Click image to enlarge294iiqf.jpg

Resized to 98% (was 752 x 578) - Click image to enlarge11gpwy0.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Co-op totals from Long Island:

Centerport 64.2"

Bridgehampton 44.1" (they got shafted on several events - changed to rain in all 3 major winter storms and got into a dry slot in Boxing Day Blizzard)

Mount Sinai 55.9"

Upton didn't post a total for one event (Mar 22) which dropped around 0.2-0.5" in Suffolk County, but their estimated total is 61.7".

A note on LGA's total (51.6") - it's about 7-10" lower than surrounding seasonal totals from some of our posters in Queens. I believe LGA undermeasured in several events - the Boxing Day Blizzard and the Jan 11-12 event. Their totals were between 2 and 5" lower than surrounding spotter reports within 5 miles in both of those events.

Centerport 64.2"

Bridgehampton 44.1" (they got shafted on several events - changed to rain in all 3 major winter storms and got into a dry slot in Boxing Day Blizzard)

Mount Sinai 55.9"

Upton didn't post a total for one event (Mar 22) which dropped around 0.2-0.5" in Suffolk County, but their estimated total is 61.7".

A note on LGA's total (51.6") - it's about 7-10" lower than surrounding seasonal totals from some of our posters in Queens. I believe LGA undermeasured in several events - the Boxing Day Blizzard and the Jan 11-12 event. Their totals were between 2 and 5" lower than surrounding spotter reports within 5 miles in both of those events.

How about add 47" in Sayville too? That was my seasonal total for the winter 2010-11.

Brooklyn, NY - 65 inches

I posted this in the SNE thread also-- but disregard the JFK totals because they either mismeasured or didn't measure some events at all (I know at least one event for which no measurement was taken.) The range for southern Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau was 60-65" (JM, Ace, Ant, Me.) I recorded 62.3"

Centerport 64.2"

Mount Sinai 55.9"

Yeah and let's not even get into the JFK discussion lol.

Just in case NJwinter isn't around to post it, his total was 60.6" for northern Holmdel, Monmouth County, on the extreme southern border of your map. My town is just south of his so I miss the cut-off by like 5 miles.

On second glance, it looks like Will's map included northern Monmouth last winter, but all the other maps don't extend that far south. Weird.

Yeah and let's not even get into the JFK discussion lol.

Extremely aggravating to say the least. Boxing Day was all time here on the South Shore with widespread over 20inchs in Nassau (though true numbers will never be known due to extreme drifting and compaction), Then there was JFK 5 miles away... Maybe the snow blew away in the strong winds... *though that does not excuse all the other wrong measurements.*:gun_bandana:

Guest Pamela

Centerport 64.2"

Mount Sinai 55.9"

Port Jefferson, NY: 60.3"

Upton (NWS OKX): 61.5" (unofficial)

Centerport (NWS Cooperative): 64.2" {On N.Shore of L.I. just east of Nassau / Suffolk border}

I'd toss the Mt Sinai #...went over the actual record online and looks like they may have undermeasured at least one...specifically 1/11/11 event...

I posted this in the SNE thread also-- but disregard the JFK totals because they either mismeasured or didn't measure some events at all (I know at least one event for which no measurement was taken.) The range for southern Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau was 60-65" (JM, Ace, Ant, Me.) I recorded 62.3"

The person that measures the snow at JFK needs to go back to measuring school.:arrowhead:

I don't think Brooklyn etc had that much snow. I don't see how you can just "throw out" locations (especially when they're the most legitimate and official stations, whatever your opinion on their measurements may be) when indeed, they do seem to accurately reflect areas around them most of the time. Did JFK do poorly in many storms? Probably. But that's because it's practically in the ocean, and LGA has the same situation.

I feel that for the most part, NYC, JFK, and LGA are 95% accurate; only in one event did I have a discrepancy with the Central Park station, in early December '08, and it was still relatively small.

Guest Pamela

I'd toss the Mt Sinai #...went over the actual record online and looks like they may have undermeasured at least one...specifically 1/11/11 event...

I don't think Brooklyn etc had that much snow. I don't see how you can just "throw out" locations (especially when they're the most legitimate and official stations, whatever your opinion on their measurements may be) when indeed, they do seem to accurately reflect areas around them most of the time. Did JFK do poorly in many storms? Probably. But that's because it's practically in the ocean, and LGA has the same situation.

I feel that for the most part, NYC, JFK, and LGA are 95% accurate; only in one event did I have a discrepancy with the Central Park station, in early December '08, and it was still relatively small.

I used that term with regards to Mt. Sinai as I live less than a mile from where they measure as I believe I had one of my most accurate years from a measuring standpoint...and their 1/11 total was almost certainly incorrect...though I do agree with you that you cannot randomly toss reports you do not agree with. In 2009-10 the same Mt. Sinai station (less than a mile away) reported 8" of snow more than me on the season....which I likewise found puzzling....the station has only been in operation for these last two years so it has yet to build up a long term record that establishes itself as a reliable cooperative.

Although the 2010-11 difference between myself and Mt Sinai was only 4.4" (60.3" to 55.9") their 11" report for 1/11/11 was almost unquestionably incorrect, as no less than 18" fell in this area that day. Taking that in conjunction with four other nearby stations on LI reporting more than 60" for 2010-11 (two official, Upton OKX and Centerport NWS cooperative....and two unofficial, myself and board member NShoreWX in Smithtown) increases my confidence that I've given sound guidance to the gentleman drawing the map.

Guest Pamela

CPK beat LGA very badly this past year. In terms of climatological reality, CPK is probably about 1 inch snowier than LGA in an average year and from 4.0 to 4.5 inches snowier than JFK in an average year....

My opinion on actual average annual snowfall at NYC stations...

CPK: 28.5"

LGA: 27.5"

JFK 24.0"

Last year my area in northern monmouth county was on your map (it's that 58" south of Staten Island)...this year no such luck :(

Oh hell, you're getting it anyway lol...60.8"

With the southern part of my township getting up to 10" more than the 58" I observed last winter, I guess that qualifies as back to back 60" winters in Holmdel. Definitely unheard of around here.

I don't know, JFK is pretty atrocious at measuring snow it seems from several events. It's beyond their location being on the water because there is no way they should consistently measure so much less than I do here on the southern side of the Raritan Bay

I don't know, JFK is pretty atrocious at measuring snow it seems from several events. It's beyond their location being on the water because there is no way they should consistently measure so much less than I do here on the southern side of the Raritan Bay

LGA was better this year than usual but they still fell short by about 7 or 8 inches overall from my total. I have no snow envy; I don't require large snowfall totals to make me look good in front of internet weenies. Their biggest deviations was the Boxing Day Blizzard where they recorded only 14 inches where everyone around them in every direction had several inches more than that at least and the Jan11th event where they were a few inches short of most totals in the area. Since we had many events this year small discrepancies in totals added up.

LGA was better this year than usual but they still fell short by about 7 or 8 inches overall from my total. I have no snow envy; I don't require large snowfall totals to make me look good in front of internet weenies. Their biggest deviations was the Boxing Day Blizzard where they recorded only 14 inches where everyone around them in every direction had several inches more than that at least and the Jan11th event where they were a few inches short of most totals in the area. Since we had many events this year small discrepancies in totals added up.

It was very windy, as we know, and they measure whatever snow is on the snow measuring area. JFK also. JFK measurement wasnt bad. Thats what snow was there, after the wind.

Flawed? Yes.

Archived