amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Early Spring Snowfall/Rainfall OBS and Disco

earthlight

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big flakes are apparently being reported just north of here in Edison and in Somerset. It is just raining lightly here with horribly formed snowflakes mixed in on occasion. :(

You should see giant flakes soon heavy echos are moving in dollar size flakes falling here.

35 here with moderate snow right now. Flakes are big but nothing is sticking.

Goodbye, snow, see you in seven months! :(

At least up here, there is a chance for flakes on the backside of next week's big cutter:

Looks cold after the storm passes:

The last accumulating snow here was .4" on 4/24/1967...so there's still time for something, though accumulations are a big-time long shot now. Many parts of S NJ and PHL metro did have 1-2" snowfall on 4/16/2007, the Tax Day Nor'easter that dropped to 968mb over NYC.

Well, my TTN forecast of 0.0-Trace verified as a Trace... though there was a lot less rain than I expected :arrowhead:

The biggest problem for our area was precip; temps were marginal but we could have gotten nailed if the banding had been heavy. I was at 34F last night with snow/sleet constantly mixing in...White Plains (HPN) has only reported .21" of liquid, and Central Park has had .30" liquid. So much for the models showing 1-2" QPF, big fail for the Euro and GFS was awful as well.

1" @ 6am with mod snow falling at the time.. Now 35 with a mix.. Probably could of gotten more but was in a dryslot most of the night.

I'm still ahead...this storm has got to be a huge disappointment for you, I honestly feel bad because you guys were in a great spot to get crushed with much colder temperatures, and then the banding just never developed since the H7 low didn't close until it was near Boston, and the storm was really disorganized with each of the two first shortwaves creating its own banding, as well as the third shortwave spawning a clipper-like feature in the Midwest instead of phasing into the main longwave trough completely. Sure the metaphor has been overused, but it was a case of too many cooks in the kitchen. We had the perfect PNA ridge axis centered over ID/MT, but wave interference prevented the 973mb low off Cape Cod that the Euro was showing a few days ago.

The biggest problem for our area was precip; temps were marginal but we could have gotten nailed if the banding had been heavy. I was at 34F last night with snow/sleet constantly mixing in...White Plains (HPN) has only reported .21" of liquid, and Central Park has had .30" liquid. So much for the models showing 1-2" QPF, big fail for the Euro and GFS was awful as well.

Of course the caveat with the GFS and EC is that they were showing a big surge in 850 temp to above freezing, at least further south around TTN, so that it still wouldn't have mattered down there if they did get the precip... it still wouldn't have been snow. With the much weaker and further east storm track, the 850s were a lot cooler, but precip wasn't heavy enough to mix it down until the ULL moved on by this morning.

Well, it's been an incredible 2 year run: 59" last year and 63.5" this year at my house in Metuchen (nada, today) for a grand total of 122.5". Looking at Central Park's 142 years of records, the greatest 2-year total was 47-48, with 63.2" and 46.6" (109.8"). I assume Central Park beat that this year, correct? They're listed as 51.4" last year and I thought I recall them being around 61" this year - anyone have this year's "final" tally?

It was snowing at a very nice clip on 9w in the Storm King area. Around 3pm there was a solid 2-3 inches at around 1000 feet and nothing below 500 or so. The radar has been showing steady returns in that area since then, so they probably have a solid 5" or so by now. Extremely localized, but there was accumulating snow within 30 miles of NYC today.

Well, it's been an incredible 2 year run: 59" last year and 63.5" this year at my house in Metuchen (nada, today) for a grand total of 122.5". Looking at Central Park's 142 years of records, the greatest 2-year total was 47-48, with 63.2" and 46.6" (109.8"). I assume Central Park beat that this year, correct? They're listed as 51.4" last year and I thought I recall them being around 61" this year - anyone have this year's "final" tally?

61.9."

Of course the caveat with the GFS and EC is that they were showing a big surge in 850 temp to above freezing, at least further south around TTN, so that it still wouldn't have mattered down there if they did get the precip... it still wouldn't have been snow. With the much weaker and further east storm track, the 850s were a lot cooler, but precip wasn't heavy enough to mix it down until the ULL moved on by this morning.

TTN was too far south, but a stronger low could have made a difference for NYC and especially people to the north like me and snywx....we could have gotten a significant snowfall if the mid-levels had closed off earlier. Three days ago, the H7 low was supposed to close off near NJ, yesterday the NAM had it closing off near the NY/CT border, and today's runs didn't show a closed 700mb low until it reached Boston. The storm just never materialized.

Yes, snowiest back-to-back winters in Central Park's history, incredible. I've measured 137.5" in Dobbs Ferry in the past two winters, and 182.5" in the past three. Not bad.

People shouldn't give up on seeing a few more flakes however...it's not uncommon for there to be flurries here in the first two weeks of April.

It was snowing at a very nice clip on 9w in the Storm King area. Around 3pm there was a solid 2-3 inches at around 1000 feet and nothing below 500 or so. The radar has been showing steady returns in that area since then, so they probably have a solid 5" or so by now. Extremely localized, but there was accumulating snow within 30 miles of NYC today.

Storm King is awesome, love that hike! The climate really changes as you ascend that ridge on 9W, it's common for it to be snowing there while nothing is falling elsewhere.

Storm King is awesome, love that hike! The climate really changes as you ascend that ridge on 9W, it's common for it to be snowing there while nothing is falling elsewhere.

It's probably one of my favorite nearby areas. It kinda has the feel of being in the Catskills...the view of West Point and the Hudson is also incredible.

9w on storm king mtn gets up to about 1250' or so.. Pretty cool little microclimate. During marginal events you can always bank on it being white up there. As for this side of the county, above 1000' had widespread 3-4" while below 600' there no signs of any snow accumulation. And this was at 3 pm as well so I'm assuming 4-6" fell up there.

Gorgeous picture taken of the snow today in NYC (yes, believe it or not it did mix from time to time in Manhattan!)

From Patapsco at Skyscraperpage.com

http://forum.skyscra...postcount=12948

5580951278_c8eec768c0_b.jpg

I feel like most people even in NYC have no idea how far 1WTC is coming. The funny thing is that, even now, it's less than half of the height it's going to be to the top of the spire (the building itself is slightly over half the height now)

Archived