joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early Spring Snowfall/Rainfall OBS and Disco

earthlight

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the April Fools 1997 storm, it was dynamic cooling, not evaporational cooling, that eventually led to rain changing to snow. The day before precip. began (Mar 30), high temps were in the mid 60s in the NYC area, with dew points in the low to mid 40s.

A question. My (very unscientific) observation re: these April snowstorms is that prior to the start of precip, the weather is clear and very dry (e.g. '97 & '82). Since there was plenty of opportunity for evaporational cooling -- even as warm as it was on 3/31/97 -- we get snow. Today, we have the atmosphere really mositening up. My (unscientific) conclusion: not much chance of accumulating snow.

Thoughts ?

N > S this morning - Yorktown down to Yonkers was "lightweight raindrops" or semi frozen precip mixed with graupel type stuff then rain the rest of the way south through the Bronx and into the city.

I should add that it was between 34 and 38*, fluctuating depending on precip intensity. Heavier rates seemed to bring colder air down dropping it 2-3* each time but never quite getting it down to 32.

RN/+RN and 39/39 at Villanova.

480ft

Hopefully we can get a slushy inch with the wraparound tomorrow morning, just to finish off the season.

18z NAM has 850's going sub 0c by 6-7z in SE PA, probably wet snowflakes mixing in by then. But lower BL looks too warm until around 12-13z for anything accumulating.

RN/+RN and 39/39 at Villanova.

480ft

Hopefully we can get a slushy inch with the wraparound tomorrow morning, just to finish off the season.

18z NAM has 850's going sub 0c by 6-7z in SE PA, probably wet snowflakes mixing in by then. But lower BL looks too warm until around 12-13z for anything accumulating.

I'm watching that precip near you carefully...down to 38.7/34 downtown here, temperature has been dropping. My house is probably around 37F.

Archived