joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Early Spring Snowfall/Rainfall OBS and Disco

earthlight

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I agree.. Its gonna be a non-event for most west of CT/NY border..

Meanwhile temp continues to drop.. Now 34.5* mostly rain here with a few flakes mixed in

Radar doesn't really look encouraging for you, and you can see how disorganized this storm is. There's a heavy batch of precip in eastern SNE, a line of showers/flurries near you, light precip in SNJ/VA....the banding is all over the place. This isn't a consolidated precip shield that can deal heavy accumulations of snow in a marginal boundary layer situation; unless something changes, this storm is basically a non-event. You might not get past me on the season especially since the best slug of precip is headed for me.devilsmiley.gif

When I was driving delivery, had heavy sleet and mangled flakes when the precip picked up. You could tell that the upper levels are still plenty cold enough to produce flakes, but we need intense vertical motion to bring that cooling down to the surface. I don't like how the dewpoint has been creeping up here, even though the temperature is the lowest of the day...Now it's gone back to drizzle:

-RN

36.8/35

And this map was done after the 12z models and taking the eastern shift into consideration..lol Where is this 3-6" coming from?

1400 EDT MARCH 31

all the Models at 12z have shifted EAST… all of them… the heavy snow threat for ne PA and south central NY state is much reduced..

The 12z THURSDAY MARCH 31 euro is also waaaaaaay East with this Low

recall what I said in the INTIAL discussion

The complicating factor in this upcoming event happens to be a significant piece of energy which is coming in behind the shortwave over the Southeast US. We can see this piece of energy on the models HERE. This feature is referred to in the weather business as a upstream kicker…. Because as this feature approaches rapidly from Southern Canada into the upper Midwest it ends up affecting the system over the east coast of the us by forcing it or dislodging it to the east.

http://www.wxrisk.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/LASTb.jpg

where and when did that happen? :axe:

Four day storm in Feb 1920-- John said he would poke his eyes out or something if it happened again lol.

We had over 5 inches of QPF! Someone find an accumulation map for that storm! Chris posted some pics and it actually looked like 2 feet of snow fell lol.

Four day storm in Feb 1920-- John said he would poke his eyes out or something if it happened again lol.

We had over 5 inches of QPF! Someone find an accumulation map for that storm! Chris posted some pics and it actually looked like 2 feet of snow fell lol.

wow, worst sleet i remember was probly vday 2007 with 4-6".. I cant imagine shoveling over a foot of sleet. I'd break my back :oldman:

wow, worst sleet i remember was probly vday 2007 with 4-6".. I cant imagine shoveling over a foot of sleet. I'd break my back :oldman:

The crazy thing is it would have exceeded every snowstorm ever in our area had it been even HALF snow!

This site has a lot snow info: (it needs to be updated though)

http://davep1nj.trip...deluxe/id3.html

BLIZZARD!!!

History has had many historic blizzards

in the northeast with severe storms in

1778, 1811, 1857 (COLD STORMS),

GREAT BLIZZARD OF 1888 (50"

snow and 20 foot drifts NY), 1899 The

Great Eastern Blizzard from South to

North....

In the 20th Century there were Blizzards

in 1905, 1910, and 1935 at NYC. In 1920

a GREAT SNOW AND SLEET STORM

struck with 17" of mixed precipitation

that defied removal and caused the army

to tackle it with flame throwers. In March

1941 a blizzard occurred in the east on the

7th-9th period.

In DECEMBER 1947 a snowstorm blitzed

NYC with a crushing 26.4" snow and 32"

in suburbs as the Christmas season was in

progress..

In the late 50s and early 60s there were

a series of Blizzards including the

Pre-December Storm of 1960 which

dumped 20" at Newark, Nj with 50mph

gales...followed by the JFK storm in 1961

and a month later by a mega-snow...

There was also a January blizzard in 1964,

a widespread storm; A Blizzard in 1967 that

hammered the after Ground hog day, and

the Lindsday Snowstorm of 1969 that

brought 15"-25" of paralysis to the big

apple...it was a suprise..

In the late 70s there was a January near-

blizzard in the east that also brought

heavy snow unexpectedly to NYC, with

17" in places..FOLLOWED BY THE

FAMOUS GREAT BLIZZARD OF 1978

in February that year...2 to 4 feet of snow!

In February 1979 the President's Day

Storm struck and DC to Boston had 1'-3'

of snow...also a suprise of sorts..

The 1980s featured the rare April 1982

Blizzard, and the Megapolitan Storm of 83'

that brought 1'-3' snow and thunder to

the big cities...breaking records...

The 1990s featured the MARCH 1993

Superstorm a combination of BLIZZARD

and ICESTORM that dumped 12"-24"

in the east...IN JANUARY 1996 a HUGE

BLIZZARD DUMPED 20" on NYC and

30" on the suburbs...worst since 1947..

The Millenium Blizzard of Late December

2000 brought 12"-25" snow to NYC/NJ,

and the PRESIDENT'S DAY 2003

BLIZZARD brought as much as 20" to

NYC and close to 30" in Boston, the

equal to 1996!!

A recent December 2003 blizzard dumped

15"-20" in a two-day stretch in early

December....

Is this better than 17" of sleet? lol

I would love to see an epic sleet storm; sleet is awesome when it comes down heavily, and it also adds to a snowpack's resiliency.

Oh yes. I'm several hours in. Gonna have to switch to Coors or PBR so I don't kill all the good stuff.

At least I don't have to put on a jacket and go freeze my ass off looking into the street lights.

It's still raining there? That's a bit surprising, as we've had mixed precipitation all evening when the heavier echoes have moved through. I'd imagine you're quite a bit colder than my location. We've only recorded .2" QPF, however, quite poor considering all the excitement about this massive Nor'easter with 65mph wind gusts and heavy rain changing to snow. I'm wondering if that banding in Northern Maryland will swing through and give us our 1-3" of snow, as temperatures are dropping off.

OVC (drizzle from time to time)

34.7/33

Unless the banding in MD/S NJ really intensifies, Upton is in for a bust where they had predicted significant accumulations in the northern zones. The storm is clearly way east of where it was progged, which is keeping us cold enough for snow/mix but not allowing us to get intense QPF. This is basically the 3/24 storm on repeat...all the worry was about temperatures and then we stayed cold but got just light precip for the entire event. This is really very frustrating, I want snow. Guess it's time to take the road trip.

Archived