Early Spring Snowfall/Rainfall OBS and Disco

earthlight

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some telling 6pm observations:

Albany - 46/26

Syracuse - 42/36 with light rain

Binghamton (1600ft) - 36/33 with light rain.

Monticello (1400ft) - 41/32

Poughkeepsie - 43/33 with light rain

There is no cold air to pull down from the northwest. This storm will be all about where the heaviest precipitation falls. That's where the coldest surface temperatures will be. Dynamic cooling is really the last and only hope.

Albany - 46/26

There is no cold air to pull down from the northwest. This storm will be all about where the heaviest precipitation falls. That's where the coldest surface temperatures will be. Dynamic cooling is really the last and only hope.

I don't know why all these places are so warm...I'm at 36.9/34

I don't know why all these places are so warm...I'm at 36.9/34

Take a look at the RH values for some of those places. Albany's at 52% humidity; they haven't had any precip all day. The wet bulbs are more telling of cooling potential, and they're generally 34-36F across the Northeast now, but will fall slowly overnight w/ the intensifying low and/or heavier precip.

Take a look at the RH values for some of those places. Albany's at 52% humidity; they haven't had any precip all day. The wet bulbs are more telling of cooling potential, and they're generally 34-36F across the Northeast now, but will fall slowly overnight w/ the intensifying low and/or heavier precip.

Those are some pretty high wetbulb temps for far north or elevated locations. It demonstrates the stale airmass we're working with. I don't think those wetbulbs will drop too much up north. But I do think that surface temps will dynamically drop wherever precipitation is heaviest. NYC should be colder than Albany and Plattsburgh for the next several hours.

Blairstown, NJ 35.3 with a dewpoint of 34.3, so I really don't understand what you are trying to say.

Albany - 46/26

Blairstown, NJ 35.3 with a dewpoint of 34.3, so I really don't understand what you are trying to say.

We need to get into the heavy returns.

The coldest temps anywhere in NY or New England (outside the mountains) are in SE SNE, including near the Cape Cod Canal. That's because they are getting moderate to heavy precipitation.

The cold air is being pulled down from the northeast, not from the northwest.

Albany - 46/26

We need to get into the heavy returns.

In a storm like this with low freezing levels, the radar is going to trick us into thinking precip is heavier than it really is. Melting snow produces high radar reflectivities as the snowflakes become encased in a thin shell of water. Its similar to the "sleet bright band" often seen during a more typical mid-winter storm.

The cold air is being pulled down from the northeast, not from the northwest.

Plenty of mid 40s in NH a few hours ago and warmth well up into Maine. DPs a bit drier up way up that way but that's not getting pulled down here. Wet bulbs were well above freezing across all of SNE before the precip started.

In a storm like this with low freezing levels, the radar is going to trick us into thinking precip is heavier than it really is. Melting snow produces high radar reflectivities as the snowflakes become encased in a thin shell of water. Its similar to the "sleet bright band" often seen during a more typical mid-winter storm.

Yup. I don't think there's lightning and thunder out on the Upper Cape. But the melting is a sufficient latent heat sink to cool the surface to freezing and accumulate rapidly.

Archived