• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Potential widespread snow event for Wednesday Night through Thursday.

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

End of the month sure looks interesting. If there was ever a pattern to deliver in the spring, this is it. It's telling when you can see favorable placement developing even by 48 hours. Main thing is getting the incoming short wave to be strong enough. The other thing I like to see is "clean" flow, absent of smaller packets of s/w energy, which the Euro and GFS seem to achieve. One coherent s/w tracking toward a -NAO block in the process of breaking down. BOOM

End of the month sure looks interesting. If there was ever a pattern to deliver in the spring, this is it. It's telling when you can see favorable placement developing even by 48 hours. Main thing is getting the incoming short wave to be strong enough. The other thing I like to see is "clean" flow, absent of smaller packets of s/w energy, which the Euro and GFS seem to achieve. One coherent s/w tracking toward a -NAO block in the process of breaking down. BOOM

That "clean" feel to the flow characteristic is an emergent propery for when large mass field adjustments get under way. The NAO dives to -2SD, then rises to 0.00 ( ~ ) over the next 10 days, and in order for the domain to do that requires some concerted atmospheric motion on a large scale. It has to do with wave mechanics but that much deterministic flow tends to dampen out the little fellas, while bigger better timed ones get a huge positive feed-back from superimposing their spatial presence where R-Wave repositioning is already taking place.

In this case the PNA rises through 1 ...probably close to 2 SD ultimately, meanwhile the NAO does a big snap like taking a rope and popping one end and watching the wave ripple down its length - first it gets/got warm, now it gets cold, boom.

1978 was kick back. So was the Cleveland Superbomb... so was the Superstorm, just to name a superior few. But there were lesser albeit still mighty examples in the annals that were all nestled into the nodes, and not tweeners like this early Thursday deal.

15z SREFs look similar to the 09z SREF mean...0.50" qpf to the MA/CT border and eastward to the south shore. It looks like they bring the 0.25" further north though into S NH.

The spread increased as well...which is usually the opposite of what should happen as we get closer.

The past 2 Euro runs have finally caved to the the amplified western US ridge early next week that the GGEM/GFS/GFS ens have been indicating run after run. That's the key to any potential storm next Tue-Wed.

Euro pattern is a loaded gun at 144h for something really big around Mar 29th...regardless of whether or not this run actually produces a huge hit verbatim.

15z SREFs look similar to the 09z SREF mean...0.50" qpf to the MA/CT border and eastward to the south shore. It looks like they bring the 0.25" further north though into S NH.

I thought they were going south at first, but they corrected a bit. Hopefully that means models are trying to entrain more moisture in from the Atlantic. They actually were a little north of 09z, out in NY State.

The models and forecasts are all over the place...depending on the model or forecast I could be getting snow showers or 8" of snow, and were like 30 hours away. tornado1.gif

9z eta is a sw ct jackpot, what a nightmare, this cant be happening.

Oh well, cant control the weather.

Locked and Loaded

5-10 statewide across ct....lollis to a foot, seems plenty cold enough on all guidance outside the GOOFUS.

Congrats on using reverse psychology to will the jackpot into CT. LOL.

:weenie:

I can't wait for wiz's first severe thread that produces a marginal cell in Litchfield county and nowhere else. Also can't wait for discussing whether the high will reach 77 or 72....that is so much more fun than tracking winter storms. :sun:

Well, a good ole fashioned sne spring snowstorm!

dxr 8

bdr 5

hfd 7

toll 7

orh 5

bos 4.5

pvd 6

tan 6

gon 5

lollis to a foot across the rte 84 corridor and especially in the nw ri hills.

And Dobbs Ferry?

I really like where we are sitting right now, I think our area stands to see some nice QPF from the coastal cranking as well as the WAA, and we should stay cold enough. I could see a jackpot somewhere in SE NY or SW CT if things go as most of the models are showing.

EC ensembles look better too. What a nicely defined low at hr 48, se of the BM. Actually, a good shift wnw during Wednesday Night, as compared to the 00z EC ensembles.

SNE could really get under a nice mid-level comma head if we see a solution close to that. We've been seeing signs on the RH field for a couple days now and the qpf is slowly starting respond. Maybe it won't come all the way as north as we want it, but there's def a bit more room to see that happen.

Archived