Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Joe Bastardi hired by start-up firm WeatherBell

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weather Bell must have incredible clout(and money). We all know JB, but Joseph D'Aleo under the radar and relatively unknown(compared to Kocin, JB and others) is a Brooklyn guy who influenced Mets like Alan Kasper and other local WCBS back in the "70's. Hall of Met famer..........

Joe D'Aleo was a professor of Met. at Linden State Univ for many years before he became TWC director of the Met. Lab. He brought many of his past students to TWC, on-camera and others, at their inception in 1982. Very nice fella.

Joe's Boss

Michael Barak,

Mr. Barak’s passion for weather and keen interest in its economic impact on the private sector led him to assemble a team capable of the most accurate forecasts. He developed a close relationship with two meteorologists, Joe Bastardi and Joe D’Aleo, whom he believed to be second to none in forecasting ability.

Prior to founding WeatherBell, Mr. Barak was a Vice President at Crossways Consulting Group, an aerospace/defense focused consulting firm. Mr. Barak helped develop channels to market and business opportunities for clients in the United States and abroad. He worked alongside industry leaders where, despite his young age, his input was strongly valued.

Mr. Barak holds a Bachelor’s Degree from the Cornell University School of Engineering, to which he was accepted directly from the 11th grade of high school.

As a high school student, Mr. Barak was a semi-finalist in the Intel Science Talent Search (formerly Westinghouse Competition). His research was entitled “The Effect of the North Atlantic Oscillation on the Tracks of Atlantic Hurricanes.” He did most of his research at Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory, a research center of Columbia University.

Michael's Father:

Mr. Tuvia Barak, Chairman of the Board, Crossways Consulting Group, is a Venture Partner and Senior Advisor at Lux Capital Management. He is also a Senior Advisor at SAS Investors, Alset IP, and Tamir Fishman Financial Services Group. Mr. Barak is an aerospace and technology Consultant. In 1982, He joined Tadiran, Inc. Mr. Barak developed strategic alliances and partnerships with some of the largest aerospace companies. In 1993, he established his own marketing and consulting practice, advising U.S. and international ... companies on business development, marketing strategies, technology assessment, and mergers and acquisitions in the aerospace and technology fields. Mr. Barak’s clients have included The Carlyle Group, L-3 Communications, DRS Technologies, British Aerospace, M-Systems, AudioCodes, Marconi Communications, AAI, BAE, EDS, Comtech Telecommunications, Elbit Systems, Clal Industries, Ness Technologies, SanDisk, Vought Aircraft, Safenet, Israel Aircraft Industries, Herley Industries, United Defense, Mantech International, Apptis, MapInfo, Rockwell Collins, and Raytheon. He is a Member of Advisory Board of Tamir Fishman & Co. Additionally, Mr. Barak is a Member of the Board of Directors of Skyline Software, Arinc Corp., Atair Aerospace, DVTel, Multispectral Imaging, Detto Technologies, GeoData Technologies, and Fairchild Imaging. He was a Member of Advisory Board of Selway Capital. Mr. Barak holds a M.Sc. degree in Electronic Engineering from the Technion Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel.

Michael's Mother

Joanne,

Lawyer, Crossways Consulting Group

B.A. NYU, J.D. NYU 1976

Crossways Consulting Group

Crossways Consulting Group Inc in Palisades, NY is a private company categorized under Consultants-Business (Unclassified). Our [Manta] records show it was established in 2001 and incorporated in New York. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of $150,000 and employs a staff of approximately 2.

Doubt it, DT's a one man band with a large following. Accuwx won't go out of business, but JB leaving is a dagger through the heart. No one is going to pay to read Henry...

-

on another note, wonder when JB's blog goes pay on WeatherBell....

Accuweather does a lot of stuff outside of JB. They do forecasts all over the country and contract with other companies to make forecasts, weather graphics, warnings, and all of that. Losing JB will hurt, no doubt, but I don't know how much it will really hurt them.

Joe D'Aleo is at least 63 years old, a long-time resident of NH, and I doubt very much whether he is a 'rainmaker' as they say in the consulting trade. My bet is that JB and D'Aleo will be looking for money from AGW skeptics to help argue the AGW skeptic case.

Michael Barak's father is indeed a senior adviser to Lux Capital, but his area of expertise seems pretty separate from the current venture capital interests of Lux Capital (which is basically biotech and nano) and I doubt that a venture capital firm is putting money into a weather forecasting business.

JB has a vieo posted on his weatherbell blog this morning. Hope this stays free for awhile if only because people can comment on his forecasts and provide links to them, which they couldn't do with accuweather pro

I am sure the J.B. blog will stay free to try and build up a following . Love him or hate him, he does seem to draw a crowd.

I have to say that I'm enjoying his new blog, what with the maps he posts to illustrate his points.

$20/month sounds rather expensive. Isn't that more than accuweather pro?

I was thinking the same thing.. I imagine they will have more to offer then the blogs for that price??

I most likely wouldn't pay for his column again until later summer for the hurricanes or fall. Last year I quit for the boring spring/summer season also. I just quit Accu-pro yesterday....

Hopefully. i mean, how much was accuweather pro? $14.95/month?

They should offer a deal, say $10/month for people who sign up before a certain day. I mean, I think it would be worth it at $10/month.

Nope. Still on global warming/cooling. From today:

"The recent earthquake in Japan is part of the wild card of the triple crown of cooling that I am talking about… the increased seismic activity which also goes along with more volcanic activity. I had talked about this many times since I set all this out, and the legs of that triple crown have the solar cycles as second, the oceanic cycles first. However there is theory that the solar cycle, because of the change of stress on the earth because of that, can have an effect on seismic activity, again something I blogged quite a while ago. In any case the power of nature is on display yet again, bringing men back to reality. Better to be able to forecast and adapt to what nature has, rather than to try and control it."

Huh? To quote Carl Sagan, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

He's going to need some really extraordinary evidence to correlate those. Otherwise I could say the Earthquake was caused by a lack of magnetic field poles over certain parts of the world, leading from ferric particulate emissions over Asia, also resulting in more polluted air in the higher levels which also created more iron rich bread in the wheat regions of Europe somehow.

I most likely wouldn't pay for his column again until later summer for the hurricanes or fall. Last year I quit for the boring spring/summer season also. I just quit Accu-pro yesterday....

Thankfully I'm nowhere near the gulf coast/atlantic anymore, so I frankly don't care as much as I used to. I've been through a dozen or so tropical storms/hurricanes so I will settle for wunderground and weather forums.

Hopefully. i mean, how much was accuweather pro? $14.95/month?

They should offer a deal, say $10/month for people who sign up before a certain day. I mean, I think it would be worth it at $10/month.

I pay $149/yr. Renewal is coming up, may bag it though I'll miss Joe L. Most everything else is available elsewhere for free.

$20/mo definitely too pricey for blogs only.

I pay $149/yr. Renewal is coming up, may bag it though I'll miss Joe L. Most everything else is available elsewhere for free.

$20/mo definitely too pricey for blogs only.

I think Lundberg is also on the free site for Accuweather. I was paying $14.95 for pro, quit and then gave me a free month. I don't think I will continue past the free month though...

"The recent earthquake in Japan is part of the wild card of the triple crown of cooling that I am talking about… the increased seismic activity which also goes along with more volcanic activity. I had talked about this many times since I set all this out, and the legs of that triple crown have the solar cycles as second, the oceanic cycles first. However there is theory that the solar cycle, because of the change of stress on the earth because of that, can have an effect on seismic activity, again something I blogged quite a while ago. In any case the power of nature is on display yet again, bringing men back to reality. Better to be able to forecast and adapt to what nature has, rather than to try and control it."

Why can't he just stick to forecasting? :(

So anthropogenic climate change is fantasy-land liberal pseudoscience but the solar cycles causing earthquakes is legit? Some operational forecasters can be really great at what they do, but they can be terrible scientists :rolleyes:

So anthropogenic climate change is fantasy-land liberal pseudoscience but the solar cycles causing earthquakes is legit? Some operational forecasters can be really great at what they do, but they can be terrible scientists :rolleyes:

I'm with you on that one...although AGW theory is quite the "hollow shell" if you ask me.

Archived