joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 27th Clipper - Feb 28th Dripper Obs/Disco

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to be up at Middlebury...how does the Champlain Valley do?

Anything for NYC suburbs?

Middlebury probably get a couple of inches...best a S of them, but they still get some okay snow. NYC area is a total whiff on the Euro...maybe some flurries or a coating max.

Middlebury probably get a couple of inches...best a S of them, but they still get some okay snow. NYC area is a total whiff on the Euro...maybe some flurries or a coating max.

It seems as if the clipper has been generally trending north; the ECM had .1" QPF for NYC a couple runs ago, and the GFS had like .2". Now the ECM/GFS agree that NYC metro won't be getting anything from the clipper except for a few flurries. It looks as if the snows in VT would be high ratio fluff given that 850s are around -10C, and it's usually near the -10C isotherm that you pick up the high ratios. Should be great for the ski areas after the big synoptic dump today.

I suppose it's climo for these clippers to trend north and affect NNE the most...I remember a couple good ones in January 2009 in Vermont, one that dumped 6" mid-month with temperatures around 5F. It seems to me that clippers have become rarer for NYC metro, though...I recall we had a series of Alberta Clippers in January 2004 down here, but since then it's been slim pickings except for a bit of clipper action in the 08-09 winter. I'm surprised we haven't seen more clippers this winter given that the northern stream is usually very active in a Strong Niña; there's been a disproportionate amount of coastals for this ENSO state and a dearth of the smaller northern stream events. Maybe that will change as we go into March and see the gradient pattern continue with the block over the Bering Strait/Aleutians?

Kevin will not be happy.

Yeah the mnodels are trending pretty ugly for Kevin...he might be looking at Ray making naked snow angels in 4" of fluff while he gets a coating to an inch and Ray is still snowing all day Sunday while the sun breaks out in his area.

No noose tying needed despite the troll posts.

Still looking good for 2-4 here to GAY.

WITH LOW THICKNESSES...DECENT OMEGA IN SNOW GROWTH RGNS ALOFT...AND

A COLD AIR MASS WELL IN PLACE SHOULD SEE MOST PRECIP FALL IN THE

FORM OF SNOW. THE BULK OF THE SNOWY PRECIP IS EXPECTED AROUND THE

MIDNIGHT HOUR SUNDAY INTO EARLY SUNDAY MORNING

Wish I could stay here this weekend. Instead, I need to go to a wedding in Westchester NY, staying in Fairfield County CT. Hate missing snow at home. Actually, I just hate leaving home. lol

Either way, a couple inches on top of yesterday's overperformer will be nice. But, man loks like the piper's being paid on Monday. Yikes!!!!

Big fat flakes.

22.1/15

This seems a little ambitious--but the high end there would be nice to get before Monday's deluge.

Really pretty mood snow, light dusting.

WESTERN FRANKLIN MA-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ASHFIELD...CHARLEMONT...COLRAIN...

SHELBURNE

414 AM EST SAT FEB 26 2011

.TODAY...PARTLY SUNNY THIS MORNING...THEN MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A

SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW THIS AFTERNOON. COLD WITH HIGHS IN THE

UPPER 20S. WEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW 20 PERCENT.

.TONIGHT...SNOW. SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 4 INCHES. LOWS AROUND

16. SOUTHEAST WINDS AROUND 5 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW 90 PERCENT.

.SUNDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. SNOW LIKELY IN THE MORNING. TOTAL SNOW

ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 5 INCHES POSSIBLE. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 30S.

NORTH WINDS AROUND 5 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW 60 PERCENT.

For our south coast friends ... OKX has a map for this event.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

As expected, nam on crack, never never never doubt the king, be lucky to get a flurry here, besides the boundary layer is warm as well, maybe a dusting to inch for Rev. Wagons north. This winter is over for those south of the pike for all intent and purposes, winter cancel.

euro not overly impressive for tomorrow but definitely seems to favor the more north and east locales. too bad the nam is so alone as its a nice event.

euro qpf:

orh .12

bos .16

bdl .05

hya .10

bed .17

I wouldn't put too much stock into the Euro on this one. HArd to go aganst the NAM at this point as consistant as it's been. I just have a gut feeling on this one

Looks like we have one chance around 3/6-3/9 for a regionwide snow storm. Besides that all guidance looks warm, and wet. The usually cold and suppressed GFS is showing rainstorm after rainstorm, its becoming clear unfortunately for those of us outside of the mountains and distant interior that winter is slipping away sooner than expected. The epic March is turning into phail, I really thought it would be a special one too. Looking back the thaw was delayed into the first week of feb, as usual models rush pattern changes, it would make sense that we will not see a flip back to a more wintery pattern until the middle of March, time is running out for most of us, but for central and northern new england the fun is just starting!!:snowman:

Phil how much did you get on the Cape?

It's amazing how a nice blanket of white can make you feel. The flakes here must have been huge, but because the very top part of the snow had that dendrite texture to it. I don't know how else to explain it, other than it looked like massive dendrites on the top layer of snow.

Archived