CHESTER-MONTGOMERY-BUCKS-DELAWARE-PHILADELPHIA-

334 PM EST THU FEB 17 2011

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR CENTRAL DELAWARE...NORTHERN

DELAWARE...SOUTHERN DELAWARE...NORTHEAST MARYLAND...CENTRAL NEW

JERSEY...NORTHERN NEW JERSEY...NORTHWEST NEW JERSEY...SOUTHERN NEW

JERSEY...EAST CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA...NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA AND

SOUTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA.

.DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...FRIDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

NORTHWEST WINDS MAY GUST BETWEEN 45 AND 50 MPH SATURDAY. FIRE

DANGER WILL BE ELEVATED DUE TO THE STRONG WINDS...LOW AFTERNOON

RELATIVE HUMIDITY VALUES...AND DRY FUELS.

IN ADDITION...BLOWOUT TIDES MAY OCCUR SATURDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT

ALONG THE LOWER DELAWARE RIVER...DELAWARE BAY...AND THE OCEAN

FRONT AND ADJACENT BACK BAYS.

A PAIR OF LOW PRESSURE SYSTEMS MIGHT BRING TWO SHOTS AT WINTRY

PRECIPITATION ACROSS OUR FORECAST AREA FROM SUNDAY NIGHT INTO

TUESDAY.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its pretty much over and has been for a couple of weeks now. Sure they are sporadic model runs showing snow but absolutely no real consensus whatsoever. The next couple of weeks look warm. Once it gets past the first week of March we're pretty shot save for very rare instances of snow. Nobody wants to accept it but you just need to.

I disagree - the storm threats are there (Euro has a small snow event.) Today is beautiful, but no reason to declare winter over.

Its pretty much over and has been for a couple of weeks now. Sure they are sporadic model runs showing snow but absolutely no real consensus whatsoever. The next couple of weeks look warm. Once it gets past the first week of March we're pretty shot save for very rare instances of snow. Nobody wants to accept it but you just need to.

FAIL

edit: maybe IYBY you have a point.

you might want to check the models before you make such bold statements. :weenie: :troll:

I just looked at the 10 day Euro

yikes! that's a LOT of cold air headed our way from Canada that's cold as we!!

:whistle:

Pretty strongly disagree with this. After this warm up and a brief one next week, it looks like we're headed back to a below normal temperature pattern. We might not get this shot (I think it might end up south), but there ought to be plenty of wintry chances through the Ides of March.

Pretty strongly disagree with this. After this warm up and a brief one next week, it looks like we're headed back to a below normal temperature pattern. We might not get this shot (I think it might end up south), but there ought to be plenty of wintry chances through the Ides of March.

you think so? To me it seems like a back and forth pattern. If storms are timed with cold there could be wintry weather. The teleconnections to me all point towards a western trof east coast ridge. pos nao,ao, epo...-pna... Are you basing this off the tropical forcing of the mjo?

I think if we get one more blast of snow, most people will be happy. Once into march its really hit or miss for snow.

Yeah, let's see if we can squeeze out one more 3-6 incher.

It looks like after this threat we will have to wait until early march as the models are bringing a pretty nasty -PNA with E US ridging...

you think so? To me it seems like a back and forth pattern. If storms are timed with cold there could be wintry weather. The teleconnections to me all point towards a western trof east coast ridge. pos nao,ao, epo...-pna... Are you basing this off the tropical forcing of the mjo?

I'm back on the -AO bandwagon with the biggest Asian mountain torques of the season and the coronal mass ejection that's due to arrive tonight (that's likely not in the models yet).

If it doesn't materialize, I agree, it looks like a roller coaster for our area with a -PNA/-NAO configuration.

I agree that the storm track doesn't look great for the East Coast I-95, but there's definitely going to be some intense cold shots as that ridging over Alaska and eventually the Bering Strait flexes its muscle. I don't love the looks of the Atlantic for a huge coastal but there may be a lot of west-east moving storms with this area being a battleground between the PV that's running the pattern in Canada/NNE and the SE ridge. So there'll definitely be some chances for PHL north...

I'm back on the -AO bandwagon with the biggest Asian mountain torques of the season and the coronal mass ejection that's due to arrive tonight (that's likely not in the models yet).

If it doesn't materialize, I agree, it looks like a roller coaster for our area with a -PNA/-NAO configuration.

ahh okay. I was looking at the mjo, some keep it in the circle of death others bring it out in phase 7/8

There's going to be a pretty sharp gradient the next few weeks from cold to warm across the Mid Atlantic if the -AO fires the battlezone is more Carolinas and perhaps us unless suppression wins...if not, it's over us.

I think we tend to ride variable until month's end and then go cold for early March (typical Nina climo but perhaps a bit more intense on the cold). The Euro seems like it's wanting to go that direction after next weekend.

Archived