wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
The presidents day storm

tombo82685

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I will post in this forum while I am at school. I attend the University of Delaware in Newark, DE. If models are correct and starting to pin point exact details it does appear as though a moderate snowfall is possible for the area. The first wave although weak, warm, and to our north provides us with nothing of significance but it is important in establishing the cold air source and shifting the baroclinic zone south. The second part of energy develops on the displaced baroclinic zone over our area and as a result we experience some enhanced precipitation and the confluence and cold high to our north funnel down colder air into the region. Could be a moderate event 3-6 for some areas.

I guess I will post in this forum while I am at school. I attend the University of Delaware in Newark, DE. If models are correct and starting to pin point exact details it does appear as though a moderate snowfall is possible for the area. The first wave although weak, warm, and to our north provides us with nothing of significance but it is important in establishing the cold air source and shifting the baroclinic zone south. The second part of energy develops on the displaced baroclinic zone over our area and as a result we experience some enhanced precipitation and the confluence and cold high to our north funnel down colder air into the region. Could be a moderate event 3-6 for some areas.

Great school which I graduated from in 1987. I took a meteorology course while there (accounting major). If I remember correctly it had to do with reading/preparing maps.

I agree with your analysis by the way. I think the forecasts are underplaying the potential right now.

tombo what do sfc temps look like on the 12z ECM?

The GFS has us hitting 60 on Monday, which would mean our snow would have a hard time accumulating. I wonder if it's on its own with those high numbers with Round 1...

Meanwhile, 18z GFS scrapes the area, general 0.1-0.25 SN for philly & north, 0.25-0.50 SN (starts as mix) south of PHL

tombo what do sfc temps look like on the 12z ECM?

The GFS has us hitting 60 on Monday, which would mean our snow would have a hard time accumulating. I wonder if it's on its own with those high numbers with Round 1...

Meanwhile, 18z GFS scrapes the area, general 0.1-0.25 SN for philly & north, 0.25-0.50 SN (starts as mix) south of PHL

samething on the euro, pops us to about 60

The 21z SREFs are fairly wet/cold with overrunning precip around hour 60

At this frame, the 850/surface 0C lines are just south of Philly, being farther south of that for the majority of the overrunning precip

sref_x24_060s.gif

For the main system, there is a region of .25+ liquid on the mean for the 12 hours ending at 87 hours for Philly south, with some of this being rain, though the 6 hour precip >.25 liquid at the end of the period suggest a number of SREF members are showing some heavy precip.

sref_x12_087s.gif

sref_zp6_087s.gif

Through 60 hours, the NAM is generally a bit weaker/cooler/farther south with the initial wave compared to the 12z run, with more overrunning precip, although mainly north of the city.

====

Through 72 hours, the second wave of precip is more separated from the first wave than previous runs and thus is more amplified and organized with temps are fairly cool over the region.

Archived