• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The presidents day storm

tombo82685

Well its been awhile since we have had to track a possible wintry threat. The 12z euro, crushes everything from the pv being so far south, the confluence just shears the precip as it tries to advance north. The ggem is a moderate snowstorm for the region. The gfs is an ice storm in the northern burbs, with a snow event for the lehigh valley and poconos. Lots can change with this threat, but the potential is there if the players come together correctly. The key pieces that need to be looked at on the future runs, is the strength and postion of the -nao. Also, the position of the pv. Further south pv would crush everything to the south with to much confluence. Pv to far north would allow the storm to track over or north of us bringing in rain or snow/ice to rain. So the pv has to be positioned in a good spot to set up the potential threat.

f144.gif

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh, not really impressed at this point. The solutions (at least for round one) have now trended warmer and round two is showing a suppressed tendency (but it looks not all that strong overall). Need an awful lot of needle threading to go just right for the second part of this to verify as snow here. DC might have a better shot...

Meh, not really impressed at this point. The solutions (at least for round one) have now trended warmer and round two is showing a suppressed tendency (but it looks not all that strong overall). Need an awful lot of needle threading to go just right for the second part of this to verify as snow here. DC might have a better shot...

6z GFS trended stronger and just as cold for wave two. Also not as suppressed.

6z GFS trended stronger and just as cold for wave two. Also not as suppressed.

Comparing it to 18z it's weaker than 18 but stronger than 0. There really isn't a "trend" established except that there will be two waves...one probably rain as the front waffles back south, the other probably frozen and suppressed. How suppressed remains to be seen...

Especially considering most forecasters said winter was over south of the Mason Dixon line.:arrowhead:

The back of winter being broken does not mean winter cancel.

I'm not one to defend JB but where he specifically say that winter was over...it read to me that he opined that sustained cold was over. To be fair, that isn't far from reality.

00z GEM shows something similar to the GFS (rather than the Euro) with 2 events early next week (the second one mainly south of our area). Overall, its tough to get too excited about snow chances this far out.....honestly at this time of the season for me its getting tougher to get excited about accumulating snow, period. Heck, I'll take two snow events next week, but part of me is like, "oh well" if it doesn't happen.

The back of winter being broken does not mean winter cancel.

I'm not one to defend JB but where he specifically say that winter was over...it read to me that he opined that sustained cold was over. To be fair, that isn't far from reality.

He said repeatedly that he felt winter was certainly not over from I-70 north, although the worst of winter had already occurred, which as we head into

March is pretty obvious. South of I-70 the fork has been give to winter.

The Wxsim program with the 6z data now has 8" to 10" of snow accumulating by the Tuesday AM rush here is the breakdown

Lt rain/snow mix sunday evening to occasional light rain during the day Monday temps in the mid 30's

Moderate snow gets underway by 830pm on Monday night with temps falling below freezing

Heavy snow much of the night with 8" to 10" of snow by am rush.

Archived