• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The presidents day storm

tombo82685

The Wxsim program with the 6z data now has 8" to 10" of snow accumulating by the Tuesday AM rush here is the breakdown

Lt rain/snow mix sunday evening to occasional light rain during the day Monday temps in the mid 30's

Moderate snow gets underway by 830pm on Monday night with temps falling below freezing

Heavy snow much of the night with 8" to 10" of snow by am rush.

In the extended (beyond NAM range) where the WxSim relies solely on the GFS (I presume), you might as well say "the GFS says" instead of WxSim program says ;)

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sort of true but because it runs in a linear fashion from the point of initialization and within the NAM range it relies on a blended average of the 2 models till that point and then it gradually bends (on temps) toward the GFS but it is not a straight GFS forecast(especially on temps) because it will use the blend as the starting point for temps and not the GFS.

Paul

In the extended (beyond NAM range) where the WxSim relies solely on the GFS (I presume), you might as well say "the GFS says" instead of WxSim program says ;)

sort of true but because it runs in a linear fashion from the point of initialization and within the NAM range it relies on a blended average of the 2 models till that point and then it gradually bends (on temps) toward the GFS but it is not a straight GFS forecast(especially on temps) because it will use the blend as the starting point for temps and not the GFS.

Paul

does the Wxsim have options where you can incorporate other model runs too or is it limited to the NAM & GFS??

It uses a blend of :

Home weather station (wind direction, temps, cloud cover, historical parameters)

Metar (advection routines)

Buoy data

RAOB

FOUS (NAM)

MOS (GFS)

MOS (NAM)

It does not incorporate any other models (although the programmer has thoughts of adding RUC potentially)

does the Wxsim have options where you can incorporate other model runs too or is it limited to the NAM & GFS??

I think were in excellent shape, even as far north as NYC. The event is not even in the NAM's range yet and people are trying to write off the threat. The Euro has been horrifically inconsistent this season. All of the models have busted badly this season and the Euro has been no exception.

I think were in excellent shape, even as far north as NYC. The event is not even in the NAM's range yet and people are trying to write off the threat. The Euro has been horrifically inconsistent this season. All of the models have busted badly this season and the Euro has been no exception.

You have a very strange definition of "excellent shape" :lol: I would call "excellent shape" as being every conceivable model showing a great hit for many consecutive runs. ;)

You have a very strange definition of "excellent shape" :lol: I would call "excellent shape" as being every conceivable model showing a great hit for many consecutive runs. ;)

so far whenever that's happened this year we have ended up denied and dissapointed. We all saw how well that worked out for the 2/9 threat. We have had our best hits with moderate spread 3-5 days out and having things fall into place inside of 48hrs.

A significant snow is definitly on the table for an event 5-6 days from now for most of the Mt. Holly CWA. I'm personally shocked by the lack of activity on this board. I think the current torch has caused many to take a break from model watching for the last few days.

Yea the warmth has taken a front seat to this threat.

Round 2 Tues AM looks to be all snow on the 12z GFS. But main slug of precip stays south....for now

so far whenever that's happened this year we have ended up denied and dissapointed.

When has every single conceivable model shown a great hit for many consecutive runs? I don't recall any such situation this year.

We all saw how well that worked out for the 2/9 threat. We have had our best hits with moderate spread 3-5 days out and having things fall into place inside of 48hrs.

Plenty of these haven't worked out, either.

The split has nothing to do with it. Its quiet because I don't think most people buy this as a legit threat given the pattern we're in. The forums have gone dormant because this pattern sucks for wintry weather and it doesn't look like its going to change in time to save the end of winter. So be it...this winter overperformed for the most part relative to expectations. Go enjoy the warmth.

FWIW...I love the forum split......don't have to listen to the endless wishcasting by the NYC/NNJ crew.....or their endless backyard talk

forum split didnt help

The split has nothing to do with it. Its quiet because I don't think most people buy this as a legit threat given the pattern we're in. The forums have gone dormant because this pattern sucks for wintry weather and it doesn't look like its going to change in time to save the end of winter. So be it...this winter overperformed for the most part relative to expectations. Go enjoy the warmth.

FWIW...I love the forum split......don't have to listen to the endless wishcasting by the NYC/NNJ crew.....or their endless backyard talk

I disagree - the storm threats are there (Euro has a small snow event.) Today is beautiful, but no reason to declare winter over.

I for one, still think it can snow, but the warmth has really won me over into almost not caring if it does or not. Now, if the models can come into better agreement about a solid hit of snow Monday night into Tuesday, I'll board the snow train, but for now, if I do not see a consensus (which this winter has been impossible, especially 4-5 days out) I'm not getting too caught up in each model run. Mainly checking the 12z around this time, and the 00z models when I wake up in the morning.

I went for a run during the lunch hour....it's awesome out. Unless you have to be stuck inside an office nobody should be worrying some overrunning event five days out that can't hold any consistency from model run to model run. It's frickin 65 degrees out. Enjoy it while you can.... :devilsmiley:

FWIW, four years ago we were in the 60's the day before the St. Patrick's sleet storm and almost 80 two days prior. At this time of the year, anything's possible and the models are going to struggle in this type of pattern...

Archived