• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Early spring...or poorly timed thaw...

Typhoon Tip

You are pretty much saying what I just did.....no huge months, but no stinkers, so the mean is high.

Well Feb also has 3 less days. It does have a say in the outcome. The snowbomb of 2/28-3/1 during '05 would have added 13" of snow to February's total.

I've had some good February's. February '94 and '03 especially. So 2 out of 4 great winters had this. I know Feb '03 was a bummer for you.

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feb is never the best month and it wasn't in any of those years, either.

Feb was the let down from March and Jan in 2005......March was better in 2001......I think Jan was better in 1994.....like I said, the one time Feb may have been best in 2003, I was screwed....I liked Jan better.

I like to think of Feb as the month where cstl areas can get revenge. I know Feb '03 sucked for you, but the others were good to us, especially south of BOS.

Well Feb also has 3 less days. It does have a say in the outcome. The snowbomb of 2/28-3/1 during '05 would have added 13" of snow to February's total.

I've had some good February's. February '94 and '03 especially. So 2 out of 4 great winters had this. I know Feb '03 was a bummer for you.

Of course it does.

Feb and Mar of '96 were both pretty great IIRC; it seemed to snow 2-3 times a week, at least. That's really what saved the season after that terrible January melt-off.

This winter ain't '96, though. lol

Let's appreciate the upcoming warmup and go from there. I still cannot see why people want to try to get excited about D10-15 snows when we have a possibly great stretch of weather to look forward to before that. Talk about wishing your life away!

Like was mentioned before, if this winter goes to sleep early (which is appearing more and more likely over the next two-three weeks), for most of us it just goes down as another pretty good old fashioned New England winter.

In the meantime, we're dropping well below zero tonight and the weekend looks nice for outdoor activities of all kinds. Why the sad faces I'll never understand.

its plenty cold for us the next few days and a good shot at snow possible. the thaw wont come for a while yet.

of course winter will return after the thaw, but in terms of it being a memorable winter, losing the steadily built snowpack that at least gave us the base required for an outside shot at something memorable through march would be disheartening.

it looks to be a very pedestrian winter by our norms.

but yeah winter aint going anyhwere lol.

The thaw is roughly 48 hours long on the GFS...Midday Wed to Midday Fri. Timing could differ over there. Some spots may get to around freezing Wed. night to mitigate it. Thur. night is definitely heavy thawing.

It sux, but is perfectly normal. You get six plus weeks of solid winter and the pattern has to reload and shift at some point. Unfortunately this is 42 to 43 north and not Labrador.

Feb is never the best month and it wasn't in any of those years, either.

Feb was the let down from March and Jan in 2005......March was better in 2001......I think Jan was better in 1994.....like I said, the one time Feb may have been best in 2003, I was screwed....I liked Jan better.

It wants to send a sneaky coldfront down, later on Thursday. 00z did this too. Then perhaps overrunning Saturday??

It would be hilarious if for all that consternation what actually verified were a polar boundary anchored from ACY to PIT, with a wedge of freezing air some 400 mile so of the ridge periphery throught the area....with overrunning concerns.

Huge snow pack and tendencies for 700 and 500mb confluence packages rippling through Ontario? ...not impossible an outcome, however well it COULD be modeled at this type of time lead.

One thing to consider ... despite the "ridgy" appeal of Wed-Satur overall over the CONUS, heights are not really that anomalously high actually. The 582dm contour is only up to ATL, and we are really only talking 552dm heights over BOS despite the anticyclonic curvature to the geopotential contours. That would all put a theoretical cap on the 'how warm' it could get as actual thickness won't be higher than the GPM. Doesn't work that way.

That "warm sector" on the ECM really looks more like upper 40s to mid 50s to me - not the obscene 70 that some have somehow interpreted.

The run cools down significantly at the end!

One thing to consider ... despite the "ridgy" appeal of Wed-Satur overall over the CONUS, heights are not really that anomalously high actually. The 582dm contour is only up to ATL, and we are really only talking 552dm heights over BOS despite the anticyclonic curvature to the geopotential contours. That would all put a theoretical cap on the 'how warm' it could get as actual thickness won't be higher than the GPM. Doesn't work that way.

That "warm sector" on the ECM really looks more like upper 40s to mid 50s to me - not the obscene 70 that some have somehow interpreted.

i think yesterday's 12z run would have yielded some low 60s at face value along the CP.

70s should be reserved for NC and perhaps VA. 60s are still in the realm of possibility on Thu for BOS/PVD *if* the sneaky cold front advertised by ECMWF doesn't make that far south and the wind flow is westerly enough to preclude sea breezes (really only an issue for PVD). However, if I were issuing a forecast now, I'd go with low-mid 50s for BOS for Thu.

What a great winter day today, pleasure being outside to enjoy and work in it.

Expected highs from nws

sun 41

mon 43

tue 39

wed 43

thur 48

Just a perfect slow melt with refreezing at night, could not ask for anything better, especially after the flooding last march/spring (at my home). Looking forward to a snowy March!

Archived