Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Early spring...or poorly timed thaw...

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 936
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly!

I think it was the spring of 2001...maybe 2002...but it was May 20th and my buddies and I were heading into town for some burgers at the Pourhouse then billiards at Jillians - back before it became a teeny bopper gaming depot. Anyway the NAO was really in a tank and we had snow showers dumping 1.5" on Boston common - that's 1 month before the fricken summer solstice. In fact, on the 25th of either 2001 or 2002 (these did not happen on the same year) there was a coastal storm throwing noodles at 37F in Waltham, and I think ORH got 3" out of that. These two years of the early 2000's were the latest I recall ever seeing snow in the calendar year, and that includes the 15 years I was raised in western lower Michigan.

That sucked...but actually, was kind of interesting for the shear absurdity of witnessing snow on those late dates - that recouped a little. What sucked....10 times more powerfully than a black whole into satans ass was that frickin 3 week long nor-easter from circa May 10 to June 5th of 2005!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyday was 48/42, and there were 3 or 4 nor-easters tucked into a 2.5 week long period where if it was not, it was drab chilly northeast diaharea in drizzle in between... There was a nasty -NAO block that evolved over the D. Straight in early May, and the locked in a semi-permanent closed low over the Del Marva, and every time it looked like it would fill, the polar stream would dump another turd into the OV that would re-energize the whole damn thing.

It was powdered instant misery incarnate, just add water - OH Wait! it did -

Yeah 2005 was a disaster...drove down to FL with family and once you got past RIC, it was beautiful, same on the way back.

Happens every year around this time, the 4 phases of winter-death kick in: shock - anger - depression - acceptance.

The fact of the matter is ... winter has a lease, and every year nearing February 15, when the collective photo-receptors of the community senses the solar power of a sunny day, it is a reminder, unpleasant for those obsessed for winter, that the lease is nearing. Some years squaters win out and it all lingers until Easter - but those are rarer years and one would be fool hardy to have expectations for that.

Since we are on the subject of subjective reproach to the weather: I personally don't like that very much, anyway. I want the bandaide to come off quickly - so to speak. Last year was wonderful in this regard. Best relay into Spring and onward to summer, ever! When it was over, that was it, and there were even plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities once the floods of early March left the area.

For me, it takes me about 1.5 days to let go and begin reminiscence for the new season. 5 days ago when the indexes started this run, and the deterministic solutions stopped pumping out storms every 4 days, and knowing we were burrowing our way deeper into February, I almost immediately got the feeling we were cooked. I pretty much rushed through those first 2-3 phases, and have accepted the notion that storms are going to be less frequent (not necessarily seasonally, but just because of the pattern), and that this is probably going to steal the end of our winter away. Still believe that the first post is good, and that transitioning temperature trends will play out, but the strong -PNA and only modest -NAO signal out in time should keep things rather progressive and well ...boring for lack of better word.

On a more objective note, however - it is only February 10th, and with March being still a plausibly active month, obviously there is time for another run with winter. It is just that for those looking for that, the indexes right now are not really in your corner.

Beautiful post.

Strongly agree about last winter-spring. It was time to move on. I know Will was disappointed we couldn't squeeze a couple of big snow storms out of that pattern, but I really didn't want it. It was time to forget that disaster of a season and move on to sun and warmth! It was actually one of my favorite springs since the campus was snow free pretty quickly, and there wasn't much of a mud season, so we could get outdoors right away.

As for this stretch coming up, I too have vaulted into acceptance and am honestly looking forward to a few days that don't require a coat

And then there's a couple of weeks of real winter left before spring.

Winter is going out with a whimper.

I'm not a snowpack hoarder so if we can have a relatively snowy end of Feb and March, it's a win in my book. It doesn't even have to be anything extremely significant. Just as long as there is some action.

Alright well anyways, perhaps an overrunning threat or two, but as Nick alluded too...could be a long 10-11 days.

Nah. Couple three inches Sunday night into Monday, a couple of warmish days where Kevin drapes himself over his mountain range and then the hammer drops the following Monday. Winter is in full swing. Big winter!

I think people forget that February is the snowiest month for many, especially south of BOS. This milder stretch is merely a product of the pattern change and not solar inclination or anything like that. In fact, February is usually the month I look forward to.

It is and I have mentioned that it is the best, climo wise, but it just seems as though it's always the red-headed-step-child month in the huge winters....and I can't recall one huge event in my life that took place during that month (PD II scewed me).

Overrated in my book.....the high numbers are a product of so few absolute terds, since it's in the heart of the season.

i dont like the way the 12z op GFS/GEm are moving for the torch, even for up here.

instead of mitigating it, they seem to be worsening it the last couple runs.

it looks like Will's 3-5 day thaw thread looks to nail the timing and the height anomalies.

stupid PNA.:angry:

Stop dreading it and embrace it.

i dont like the way the 12z op GFS/GEm are moving for the torch, even for up here.

instead of mitigating it, they seem to be worsening it the last couple runs.

it looks like Will's 3-5 day thaw thread looks to nail the timing and the height anomalies.

stupid PNA.:angry:

This has been timed well by the models. I even remember hinting at this 12 days or so ago. Models have been steadfast with the arrival and departure too.

Man its a beautiful day outside, now today is impressive caa, have only risen two degrees all day, sun feels great yet at the same time its crisp. I am looking forward to next weeks thaw, be nice to get some cleaning done, move some snow banks around, make some room and get the kids out of the house. But, dont be lulled into a sense of pleasure warmanista's even in the mildest of winters these kok teases are just that, we have a ton of winter left, and with ocean and sound temps as cold as they are coastal dwellers maybe in for a long april as well.

25/-1

sunny

It is and I have mentied that it is the best, climo wise, but it just seems as though it's always the red-headed-step-child month in the huge winters....and I can't recall one huge event in my life that took place during that month (PD II scewed me).

Overrated in my book.....the high numbers are a product of so few absolute terds, since it's in the heart of the season.

February has produced some great storms as well, and many February's during epic winters are still above normal, perhaps not 500% above normal like January was, but that sort of rate just can't be sustained. Another mdt event, and many of us are above normal snowfall wise. It's just that in our eyes, February can be a let down because we aren't getting 50 inches of snow during the month, even if we still are technically above normal. In reality, it's still an above normal month during most good winters, despite any respite.

This has been timed well by the models. I even remember hinting at this 12 days or so ago. Models have been steadfast with the arrival and departure too.

yeah i know

i was just hoping i could squeak by with some readings in the low 40s limited to a day or so as the PV battled the warmth and kept it at bay.....but its not going that direction, which is always the way it is isnt? i mean why do torches NEVER underform, ugh. im heading more towards 3 days in the 40s now.

ill get several inches of snow before that, but ill still stand to lose much of my pack, which is the only way i was going to save this winter.

threateing to go down as a bigtme dud winter in NNE and adjacent SE canada if this torch verifies up here.......

Nah. Couple three inches Sunday night into Monday, a couple of warmish days where Kevin drapes himself over his mountain range and then the hammer drops the following Monday. Winter is in full swing. Big winter!

Yeah, looks like a pedestrian event here Sun-Mon, A cuple mild days end of next week, Then looks like some more snow chances up here right after, Winter continues in NNE....AWT

Man its a beautiful day outside, now today is impressive caa, have only risen two degrees all day, sun feels great yet at the same time its crisp. I am looking forward to next weeks thaw, be nice to get some cleaning done, move some snow banks around, make some room and get the kids out of the house. But, dont be lulled into a sense of pleasure warmanista's even in the mildest of winters these kok teases are just that, we have a ton of winter left, and with ocean and sound temps as cold as they are coastal dwellers maybe in for a long april as well.

25/-1

sunny

This is always overstated....I remember Kev saying last fall that the cp would be screwed because the ssts were so high after last summer's torch from hell; how did that work out....

The fact of the matter is that ssts have very little variance from year to year and they have an innate ability to snap back to climo from very short term deviations.

That said, Feb is their coolest months and I think that has something to do with Feb being the snowiest climo month for the cp.

February has produced some great storms as well, and many February's during epic winters are still above normal, perhaps not 500% above normal like January was, but that sort of rate just can't be sustained. Another mdt event, and many of us are above normal snowfall wise. It's just that in our eyes, February can be a let down because we aren't getting 50 inches of snow during the month, even if we still are technically above normal. In reality, it's still an above normal month during most good winters, despite any respite.

You are pretty much saying what I just did.....no huge months, but no stinkers, so the mean is high.

This is always overstated....I remember Kev saying last fall that the cp would be screwed because the ssts were so high after last summer's torch from hell; how did that work out....

The fact of the matter is that ssts have very little variance from year to year and they have an innate ability to snap back to climo from very short term deviations.

That said, Feb is their coolest months and I think that has something to do with Feb being the snowiest climo month for the cp.

Agree. Sh*tty springs are a function of the pattern, which if it wants to fail...will use the SST's against you in the form of northeast winds. The SST's itself don't drive the pattern.

The fact of the matter is that ssts have very little variance from year to year and they have an innate ability to snap back to climo from very short scale deviations.

Just remembering how it works thats all, there will be several days in april and may where dxr is 75 on sw wind and I get to 64 then drop back to 52. Happens every year and I love it, especially as we get into june and july, but these frigid waters will absolutely make a difference early on in the spring where we have a southerly or sw flow within ten miles of the sound. I actually love april and may seabreezes, sometimes they are acompanied by fog, its like two different climates all within 20 minutes, anyways when is the next get-together so I can buy you your beverage of choice?

Yeah, looks like a pedestrian event here Sun-Mon, A cuple mild days end of next week, Then looks like some more snow chances up here right after, Winter continues in NNE....AWT

In the meantime, we're dropping well below zero tonight and the weekend looks nice for outdoor activities of all kinds. Why the sad faces I'll never understand.

Feb '94 Feb '03 and Feb '05 are ones that stick out like a sore thumb imo. They all were great and during great winters. I know interior areas can have Feb '93 and '01 too.

Feb is never the best month and it wasn't in any of those years, either.

Feb was the let down from March and Jan in 2005......March was better in 2001......I think Jan was better in 1994.....like I said, the one time Feb may have been best in 2003, I was screwed....I liked Jan better.

Just remembering how it works thats all, there will be several days in april and may where dxr is 75 on sw wind and I get to 64 then drop back to 52. Happens every year and I love it, especially as we get into june and july, but these frigid waters will absolutely make a difference early on in the spring where we have a southerly or sw flow within ten miles of the sound. I actually love april and may seabreezes, sometimes they are acompanied by fog, its like two different climates all within 20 minutes, anyways when is the next get-together so I can buy you your beverage of choice?

It happens every year.

Go to the conf, joe

In the meantime, we're dropping well below zero tonight and the weekend looks nice for outdoor activities of all kinds. Why the sad faces I'll never understand.

Yes, Its going to be an awesome weekend, Got 2 winter carnivals to attend One in Naples and 1 in Sabattus, Plan on riding all weekend and snow in the air to boot.... :thumbsup:

Archived