• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Feb 7/8 Mostly "Meh" snow obs/disco

HoarfrostHubb

The stuff off the delmarva was pretty much a miss/weakens per the RUC/NAM as it moves NE and maybe scrapes through. It was the main energy coming in from the west that develops the comma head type signature that did the damage late tonight. GFS has none of it, RGEM misses SE. May be a NAM/RUC fantasy we'll know soon.

It will be interesting to see what it does with that. I'm sort of in the "meh" camp, but hopefully I'll be surprised.

In any case, I'm out. Good luck to the high terrain peeps.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much the whole event...you'll keep cooling a bit as dynamics cool it top-down, but you might be stuck at 32-33 for awhile while hill tops are 30-31.

i wonder if like 200'- 300' around here could make a big difference....there is a very wet snow coming down large flakes but not cool enough yet to do much sticking.....i need another 300' . that hill on nobscot (boy scout reservation is prolly) a degree and half cooler.

down 1/2 degree in last hour.

i wonder if like 200'- 300' around here could make a big difference....there is a very wet snow coming down large flakes but not cool enough yet to do much sticking.....i need another 300' . that hill on nobscot (boy scout reservation is prolly) a degree and half cooler.

An extra 300 feet would definitely help a lot in an event like this.

Temps have dropped a couple degrees in the last 30 mins but since the starting point was 38 and the dew is around 30, I think I'm basically cooked the whole thing even though the best echoes seem to be focusing over the city. Hopefully I'll be surprised because it's definitely cold enough at 950 mb considering it's 50/50 snow here despite it being 36 degrees.

edit: more like 70/30 snow/rain but definitely no sticking

Do you know how high that spot is?

That's pretty far from me, probably 45 minutes or so each way.

The 2/25 Snowicane last year had the ultimate R/S line...33F and pouring snow here while HPN reported rain for the entire day.

The USGS map had the top at 976'.......if you continue S down into South Salem (past my old house) and then take Old West Mountain Road into Ridgefield CT, you'll find some spots up there (near Round Pond) that are over 1000'.

You know you want to......... :devilsmiley:

HamRadar says that that whole area is snowing now, BTW, FWIW.

http://mapcenter.hamweather.com/radar/ptype/6hr/er02c03.html?b=topo&s=640x480

Just flipped in heavier precip.

An extra 300 feet would definitely help a lot in an event like this.

Damn - Nobscot is only 10 minutes from me - I really ought to go there, especially as I am suggesting that NZucker should gallivant all over Westchester in search of snowflakes.........only thing is - its SNOWING just north of Nobscot here at 200'.

Go figure

It will be interesting to see what it does with that. I'm sort of in the "meh" camp, but hopefully I'll be surprised.

In any case, I'm out. Good luck to the high terrain peeps.

I was in the maybe camp while working out, back to meh now. The cool thing is I'm learning...total time invested in the system was about 45 minutes and a couple of RUC runs.

Looks like it just misses in the morning.

Damn - Nobscot is only 10 minutes from me - I really ought to go there, especially as I am suggesting that NZucker should gallivant all over Westchester in search of snowflakes.........only thing is - its SNOWING just north of Nobscot here at 200'.

Go figure

well i'm snowing here about 5 miles SSW but it's not doing much sticking.....cept top of some cars......so why don't u send us a report back lol. u know you wanna :devilsmiley:

well i'm snowing here about 5 miles SSW but it's not doing much sticking.....cept top of some cars......so why don't u send us a report back lol. u know you wanna :devilsmiley:

Ah, but it IS sticking here - my deck rails were stripped of their snow in todays 40 degree fiery holocaust, but they are nicely coated now and accumulating. Snow is picking up a bit.

So what will I see at Nobscot - more snow?

I'm a terrible hypocrite, I know.........

Go figure

LOL...it's interesting how those higher areas around I-84 flashed over to snow as the precipitation became heavier...it's too bad the boundary layer got torched today or all of Westchester could have had a nice event. Not sure if it was this mild in SNE, but we hit 44.7F today, absolute FAIL. I'm definitely going to try heading up to the areas you mentioned if we get a big elevation storm in March, could be fun. I bet those places got nearly 30" in the Snowicane last year...

I bet those places got nearly 30" in the Snowicane last year...

Actually, I dont think they got that much then - too far East.

My Dad drove through there the evening of that day -he said the R/S line was right between S. Salem and Ridgefield on Rte 35. Eventually that area got 6-12" while lower Westchester got 2-3'

Didn't you jackpot on that one in Dobbs Ferry? I seem to remember that you guys got something nuts like 34".

We got a near hurricane and all rain here

Archived