Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 8-12 model discussion

Rankin5150

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have complete confidence in his call that the track isn't supported by the pattern. We've had the same pattern for all of recorded history. It has never changed. :arrowhead:

If you go look on there now he has the **ALERT!!1!!!1111111111!!!!!! EURO SHOWS SNOW FOR US**...yet a few hours before that claimed the GFS was BS and had zero model support and it should be thrown out because it wouldn't happen. How do people on Facebook not get totally confused by him?

If you go look on there now he has the **ALERT!!1!!!1111111111!!!!!! EURO SHOWS SNOW FOR US**...yet a few hours before that claimed the GFS was BS and had zero model support and it should be thrown out because it wouldn't happen. How do people on Facebook not get totally confused by him?

You'd need a PhD in logical thought to figure out what he meant a lot of the time... ah well.

Yeah, he does a poor job of differentiating between what a model says and what he thinks will happen on his fb page. He confuses a lot of the less knowledgeable people on his fb page. As far as I can tell, he's also inconsistent with his reasoning at times.

He might ultimately be right about the track (we'll know in a few days) but like wx models, Dave has his own biases sometimes.

I'm assuming that means more of a widespread event in NC if you believe the ensembles?

Pretty much. Ensemble mean holds the 850 0c from atlanta to columbia the entire time with widespread snow for north ga, upstate, and north carolina.

btw, i think because of the euro and gfs ensemble mean supporting a further south/colder solution is pretty noteworthy. I think the threat for north ga/upstate is a little higher myself. I wouldn't say it's actually good yet because of all the uncertainty but I would certainly say we at least stand a shot, especially from the usual cutoff line from atlanta/northern burbs to athens to greenwood to or just north of columbia. Far too soon to honestly have a solid opinion with all these flip flops though.

Wow, the Euro ensembles look really good.

You'd need a PhD in logical thought to figure out what he meant a lot of the time... ah well.

DT is just so sophisticated that us commoners are too stupid to comprehend his tremendous logic. arrowheadsmiley.png

However, by saying anything and everything he has made sure he will be right one way or another.

HPC aftn update...once again, love how they are a 'national' office, but their discussions imply that the world doesn't exist south of the Ohio Valley / Virginia...

12Z DETERMINISTIC MODELS:

THE 12Z/04 GFS HAS BACKED OFF ITS BIG E COAST SNOWSTORM FOR

THU....TAKING A WEAK WAVE ACROSS THE SERN STATES VERY FLAT AND

VERY FAR S...A COMPLETE TURNABOUT FROM ITS 00Z RUN. THE 12Z/04

UKMET AND CANADIAN TRENDED FLATTER WITH THE SYS. NOW...IT IS THE

12Z/04 ECMWF WHICH DEPICTS THE HIGHEST THREAT OF HEAVY SNOW FROM

THE OH VLY ACROSS THE MID ATLANTIC INTO SRN NEW ENG THU. LOTS OF

UNCERTAINTY. A CHANGE UPSTREAM IN THE NEW ECMWF RUN DAY 6 IN THE

ERN PACIFIC...IF CORRECT...COULD IMPACT THE DOWNSTREAM SYS OVER

THE ERN STATES. A MUCH DEEPER THAN CONTINUITY PACIFIC SHORTWAVE

ALONG 140W WILL HELP KEEP THE DOWNSTREAM PATTERN MORE PROGRESSIVE

THAN EARLIER ECMWF RUNS WITH COLDER THICKNESSES THRU THE COASTAL

PLAIN THU. FINAL GRAPHICS FLATTENED THE SYS OVER THE SERN STATES

FOR THU BEFORE WE SAW THE NEW ECMWF BUT OUR CONFIDENCE IN THIS

ADJUSTMENT IS LOW.

They should just rename themselves the mid atlantic and new england hpc office. Otherwise known as the center of the weather universe.

You know it would fit the KTRI pattern this year to have a weaker sliding solution that puts down a good 4-8 along the TN border on the south end and north AL/GA and screw me up here with a dusting to 2 inches. lol

I'm hugging the euro op and jma. But if you compare the 0z gfs to the 12z euro they are not too far apart.

Wow, the Euro ensembles look really good.

Not that far off from yesterday's 12z mean with placement off the SE coast, save about 5mb and 12-18hrs slower. Today though is a classic example of the expected shifts and variability in solutions we see in the 5-7 day range. Impossible to get more than mildly excited, as tomorrow it could flip back, even more extreme than what we saw today. Having the GFS and Euro ens means suggesting potential atm is good, but I would like to see the Canadian mean jump on board, and thus far it has not. Not sure how it can though given the time-step, as it seems to have the most spread consistently between its individual members in the med-long range. We still have another 48-72 hrs before the dead-zone, as I like to call it. The period between 96 - 48 hrs out which are most important in bringing it home so to speak. Once we get within 96, the wild swings usually start settling down, and by 48 most guidance begins to hone in on the finer details. Until then, anythings possible, and just as easy as 12z giveth today, 0z could take it all away, rinse and repeat for the weekend, with hopefully some continuity and general agreement starting to show up early next week.

We still have another 48-72 hrs before the dead-zone, as I like to call it. The period between 96 - 48 hrs out which are most important in bringing it home so to speak. Once we get within 96, the wild swings usually start settling down, and by 48 most guidance begins to hone in on the finer details.

Good stuff, thanks! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

So are there any thoughts on what Eastern NC might get?

There is still a great deal of uncertainty, and trying to determine the impacts for our region, the SE as a whole, let alone a specific area at this point is impossible. As several have mentioned today, the first system early next week needs to do its thing, hopefully going nuclear through the Canadian Maritimes and as that event clears, this one should come better into focus. :)

Folks,

Upon further review the ATL-AHN area snowfall suggested by the awesome 12Z gfs run is more like 4-6" rather than 3-4" (based on qpf but adding some for high ratios)! Someone please pinch me and then bring it on!! Of course, the odds are, as I stated earlier, high that it won't verify to be anywhere near this good there as it is about as good as can get in this situation. However, climo says this is at the start of the most favored period of the entire winter. So, it is very believable.

So is that where it needs to go nuclear or would it hurt if it happened sooner?

That is the area where the system begins to really deepen, and current consensus is it should take up residence near the south tip of Greenland at day 6. 12z GFS for example drops it almost 30mb between 90 and 102 hrs, going from 992 - 964 just to the south of the Island of Newfoundland.

Archived