Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 8-12 model discussion

Rankin5150

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it really shears it out and tries to reform off the NC coast at 132....it's also looks to be warmer.

Yeah that bloody lakes low is the absolute last thing we need, just something else we would have to overcome.

After looking at this some more, I would assume if the GFS had phased then that lakes low wouldn't be there.

Another good run of the GFS. Major winter storm for the southeast per that run.

Are you saying it shows the potential to be a MECS or are you literally saying it's a MECS this run, because I just do not see it. Clue me in/explain your reasoning?

Are you saying it shows the potential to be a MECS or are you literally saying it's a MECS this run, because I just do not see it. Clue me in/explain your reasoning?

I think they were referencing that this is a good trend based on where we stand right now. Euro might get a lock on this system, while GFS drifts further away from lala land. Eventually, GFS will come in terms and start agreeing by Sunday/Monday. At least, that's what I think they are saying.

LOL.. Sorry, If you take the run verbatim it's nothing really. But if you know the GFS bias in this range to kill any and all 500 energy coming across the Gulf coast states you know what will happen later on when this bias is not in play. Check hours 120 and 126 at 500mb. The vort is killed. Now check the energy at 500 on the 12z Euro, CMC and Ukie. All much stronger and of course farther west with the surface low. When the GFS starts getting more amped at 500 like the other Globals then it will be farther north and west with it's surface low.

LOL.. Sorry, If you take the run verbatim it's nothing really. But if you know the GFS bias in this range to kill any and all 500 energy coming across the Gulf coast states you know what will happen later on when this bias is not in play. Check hours 120 and 126 at 500mb. The vort is killed. Now check the energy at 500 on the 12z Euro, CMC and Ukie. All much stronger and of course farther west with the surface low. When the GFS starts getting more amped at 500 like the other Globals then it will be farther north and west with it's surface low.

I figured that's what you were saying... "per this run" through me off, I thought you were looking at an old run or something :arrowhead: Thanks for the explanation mentioning the other models, I've been busy this week so I'm just now checking in.:thumbsup:

Looks like to me that the UKMet sfc track would be right up the Carolina coastline

Similar to the 12z JMA, and while it is hard to plot the in between with the 24 hrs panels, the <985mb low at 144 hrs is telling. Surface reflection at 120 hrs south of LA, offshore near ILM, maybe through the inner banks and up the coast, but looks outside of the benchmark.

Similar to the 12z JMA, and while it is hard to plot the in between with the 24 hrs panels, the <985mb low at 144 hrs is telling. Surface reflection at 120 hrs south of LA, offshore near ILM, maybe clipping the OBX and up the coast, but looks outside of the benchmark.

When you say benchmark, do you mean the coastline? Yeah, it's difficult to be exact with the 24 hr panels.

Canadian 500mb vort and sfc low are slightly south from its morning run. Sfc low tracks from LA to central VA. Biggest difference I see with the GGEM is that the 500mb flow over the Great Lakes isn't as blocky compared to the 00z UKMet and 12z Euro as the wave is diving through the S Rockies - i.e. the flow is more to the E or ENE instead of to the ESE

0ZGFS is a letdown for East TN. About 3" is all we can muster up here for that run which means it would just be like every other storm before it. The odds for accumulating snow are still good though and so I'd probably bump it up to a 1 in 3 chance, but until I see really good trends in the short range I won't buy 6" for Knoxville... yet.

new runs on gfs3 looks like it comes through pretty quick but with decent moisture. Maybe some rain in the early morn on Thursday but last bufkit I checked was a changeover for 2 hours or so to rain for RDU. Last precip for RDU was from 8pm wed to 5 pm thurs. Ratios are in the 10 to 15 range before it fizzles OTS. I'm a bit worried for the roofs in Mass. as it tracks up the coast. Clear them off soon folks. It will be heavy wet stuff.

:snowman:

0ZGFS is a letdown for East TN. About 3" is all we can muster up here for that run which means it would just be like every other storm before it. The odds for accumulating snow are still good though and so I'd probably bump it up to a 1 in 3 chance, but until I see really good trends in the short range I won't buy 6" for Knoxville... yet.

The pattern is what to watch for...I wouldn't worry about qpf at this point. It looks to be that a storm is in the forecast. That's about all we can hope for in the SE at this point. I would guess this tracks inside the coast. We are not in the same pattern as December and January. The danger is that this cuts inland, and there is still plenty of time for this to do so. The GFS has had trouble all season depicting storms past four days. The Euro, Ukie, and Canadian are the ones to watch, and even the JMA to some extent. I certainly don't discount the GFS, but it has not been dependable at this range. I will be much more interested if the 0z Euro has some form of the storm.

Edit: If someone has the 0z Euro, do you mind giving an update when it rolls to the time we have been discussing?

"What the sun was doing for the simultaneous superstorms end Jan – start Feb & WHAT NEXT for world weather?

Piers Corbyn warns of three world top red warning notably dangerous weather periods –

around Feb 10-12, 14-15, & 27-28"

I have been following Piers Corbyn this winter and he really knows his stuff. He has predicted all of the major storms from weeks out all based on solar activity. He is also a strong anti-global warming person. I like that Feb. 10th date he listed....

Archived