Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 8-12 model discussion

Rankin5150

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pattern changes often harken snowstorms, it seems. 3/1-3/2 2009 come to mind. It snowed hard and got real cold for a couple days, then warmed up and got into the 60s a few days later.

Thats how I always remembered snow storms as a kid. Super cold for a day or two then really warm and all the snow melting fast. BTW 18z looks more SE with that low out to 117

Great trend with the gfs... it suppresses everything out, but like a few have alluded to, this is right where we want to see the gfs at this time range. In fact I'd must rather is show this solution rather than a major snowstorm for the southeast... especially when the GGEM, UKMET, ECWMF have a stronger reflection.

18Z gfs is not far from bringing SAV/CHS a rare snowfall due to deep supression. However, it weakens too much and gives them no more than .05" qpf with only borderline 0C 850's. That's not going to quite do the trick. However, perhaps that means that a deeply supressed system is back on the table of possibilities? Longterm (300 year) climo says that 2/8-15 is by far the peak for 2"+ snowfalls in SAV/CHS.

18z GFS is cold, weaker and supressed. Translation: Big winter storm.

LOL.

GFS cold and supressed.

Canadian warm and overamplified.

Operational Euro nearly a perfect track.

Euro Ensembles almost perfect track.

This is about as a good a position that you can be in the modeling world this far out.

Great trend with the gfs... it suppresses everything out, but like a few have alluded to, this is right where we want to see the gfs at this time range. In fact I'd must rather is show this solution rather than a major snowstorm for the southeast... especially when the GGEM, UKMET, ECWMF have a stronger reflection.

Okay, stupid question here....why do we want it to show it supressed for? Is it because in the longer range it won't be, compared to if it showed NO supression, then it would be supressed? I know how the trends work starting out way south, going way north, south again, and then more and more into line, is it the same thing?

Okay, stupid question here....why do we want it to show it supressed for? Is it because in the longer range it won't be, compared to if it showed NO supression, then it would be supressed? I know how the trends work starting out way south, going way north, south again, and then more and more into line, is it the same thing?

Different areas in the south are looking for different things, but for a mostly snow event, we have a far greater chance of our problem being warm temps rather than the storm being cold, but suppressed too far south and weak. I always want to see the cold air hold....we can find some moisture down the road.

The gfs has a nagging tendency to over suppress features in the long range. When the gfs has a concrete shortwave, but does not amplify it, yet the ECWMF, GGEM, and UKMET have a much stronger feature, there is a high likelihood that its out to lunch.

In fact I'm still worried more that this system tries to cut too far north rather than suppression at this time, so the longer the gfs shows this really far south solution, the less time it has to trend all the way back into an Apps or Lakes cutter.

Archived