• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC Area February 1st-2nd OBS and Discussion Continued...

Rib

While this storm has been a nuisance, it hardly compares to VD, 2007, or 1994... (At least on Long Island)... Upton, initial feeling w/ regard to it's original advisory was in retrospect the right move.. We didn't reach ice storm warning level ice here on Long Island.

Last night with temps around 24/25, it looked like it was going to be bad... However, those temps really crept up at the right time and saved us.

I can't imagine how bad it is in NW new jersey and interior NY.

Jeff

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man walking to school was horrible, every student walking down the hill to my school almost slipped. Walking to the train station to go to school led me to slip and fall as I crossed the street, almost breaking my ankle, but I'm ok.

Yeah, bloomberg should have closed schools. It's bad outside, and with little rain falling, and the storm ending, things are gonna be bad.

I remember the days when NYC closed public schools for a day after the Blizzard of 1996...It was the first time they closed since 1978...Can't see how NYC would close for a little ice

While this storm has been a nuisance, it hardly compares to VD, 2007, or 1994... (At least on Long Island)... Upton, initial feeling w/ regard to it's original advisory was in retrospect the right move.. We didn't reach ice storm warning level ice here on Long Island.

Last night with temps around 24/25, it looked like it was going to be bad... However, those temps really crept up at the right time and saved us.

Jeff

its not that bad at all in NW Jersey...Sleet spared us as I knew would be possible. If it was all ZR we woulda been fooooked

Jeff

Respectfully disagree. The roads are awful, driveways miserable, lost power, huge branches down all over the place in north central nassau. I got close to .5 inch of ice. Car was absolutely encrusted with ice...yes 1994 was worsr and VC 2007 as well, but this was still the worst ice storm since 2007 IMO...i think ice storm warning may have verified in northern nassau/northwestern suffolk and most definitely in parts of NYC

Respectfully disagree. The roads are awful, driveways miserable, lost power, huge branches down all over the place in north central nassau. I got close to .5 inch of ice. Car was absolutely encrusted with ice...yes 1994 was worsr and VC 2007 as well, but this was still the worst ice storm since 2007 IMO...i think ice storm warning may have verified in northern nassau/northwestern suffolk and most definitely in parts of NYC

definitely verified here in southwestern CT.

.5 inches? Well in western central Suffolk - we got about .2" of ice i think (at least on my car.. I guess it was a lot worse to my Northwest by 5-10 miles..

If you read my original post- i did say interior NY must have got hit hard.. I assume you're encrusted in lots of ice..

While we also got mostly sleet in northern Bergen county, the freezing rain this morning really put a glaze on everything. While it seems (from TV) that main roads are not bad, getting to them from here is near impossible. To make matters worse, I am on a pretty steep hill, so getting up it with that glaze, even with 4WD, would be a problem. Heard a lot of spinning wheels on the road behind me (same size hill).

but agree, it could have been a lot worse as the sleet saved a major ice accumulation.

I remember the days when NYC closed public schools for a day after the Blizzard of 1996...It was the first time they closed since 1978...Can't see how NYC would close for a little ice

That's because there was only two storms between 1978 and 1996 that could have closed schools and they fell on the weekend (Feb 1983 and March 1993.)

Btw schools closed for two days after 96.

If you read my original post- i did say interior NY must have got hit hard.. I assume you're encrusted in lots of ice..

Yup! In fact the neighbor across the street just sustained damage on all three cars. The Jeep at the top of the driveway slid into the Chevy pickup in the middle which slid into the car at the bottom. All three are now jammed together at odd angles with the pickup wedged into the snowbanks at both ends. All this without anybody within fifty feet of them, spontaneous release as the water is flowing under the wheels.

We did reach ice storm criteria on Long Island:

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

SPOTTER REPORTS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

900 AM EST WED FEB 02 2011

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 35

HOURS FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. SNOWFALL

REPORTS INCLUDE ANY COMBINATION OF SNOW AND SLEET. APPRECIATION IS

EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...SKYWARN

SPOTTERS AND MEDIA FOR THESE REPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO

AVAILABLE ON OUR HOME PAGE AT WEATHER.GOV/NYC

***********************STORM TOTAL ICE***********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS

ICE OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

CONNECTICUT

...FAIRFIELD COUNTY...

BRIDGEPORT 0.50 700 AM 2/02 COOP OBSERVER

FAIRFIELD 0.40 654 AM 2/02 SKYWARN SPOTTER

NORWALK 0.20 700 AM 2/02 PUBLIC

...MIDDLESEX COUNTY...

CHESTER 0.20 810 AM 2/02 SKYWARN SPOTTER

...NEW HAVEN COUNTY...

NEW HAVEN 0.40 600 AM 2/02 SKYWARN SPOTTER

...NEW LONDON COUNTY...

OAKDALE 0.50 715 AM 2/02 PUBLIC

NEW JERSEY

...BERGEN COUNTY...

GLEN ROCK 0.20 430 PM 2/01 PUBLIC

ELMWOOD PARK 0.10 1200 PM 2/01 SKYWARN SPOTTER

...HUDSON COUNTY...

HARRISON 0.20 700 AM 2/02 COCORAHS

...PASSAIC COUNTY...

CLIFTON 0.60 800 AM 2/02 PUBLIC

HAWTHORNE 0.30 700 AM 2/02 COCORAHS

...UNION COUNTY...

ROSELLE 0.60 429 AM 2/02 SKYWARN SPOTTER

NEW YORK

...BRONX COUNTY...

BRONX 0.50 735 AM 2/02 BRONX ZOO

...NASSAU COUNTY...

LEVITTOWN 0.40 600 AM 2/02 PUBLIC

BETHPAGE 0.30 545 AM 2/02 SKYWARN SPOTTER

PLAINVIEW 0.20 706 AM 2/02 SKYWARN SPOTTER

..NEW YORK (MANHATTAN) COUNTY...

UPPER WEST SIDE 0.10 200 PM 2/01 PUBLIC

...ORANGE COUNTY...

MONROE 0.13 1200 PM 2/01 PUBLIC

...QUEENS COUNTY...

REGO PARK 0.30 645 AM 2/02 SKYWARN SPOTTER

MIDDLE VILLAGE 0.30 520 PM 2/01 PUBLIC

WOODHAVEN 0.20 445 AM 2/02 PUBLIC

...SUFFOLK COUNTY...

SHOREHAM 0.60 740 AM 2/02 SKYWARN SPOTTER

LINDENHURST 0.50 515 AM 2/02 SKYWARN SPOTTER

UPTON 0.40 700 AM 2/02 NWS OFFICE

NORTH BABYLON 0.40 709 AM 2/02 PUBLIC

CENTERPORT 0.30 700 AM 2/02 COCORAHS

RONKONKOMA 0.20 746 AM 2/02 NWS EMPLOYEE

...WESTCHESTER COUNTY...

SCARSDALE 0.20 745 PM 2/01 SKYWARN SPOTTER

$$

LN

I woke this morning expecting to see big icy roads and accumulations everywhere. Instead, I saw just plain rain falling. No big deal here in Smithtown except that the snowpack is going to go down tonight! Whoo hoo!

Oh, there was ice overnight, but this ice storm, unlike Jan. 1994 was not immediately followed by sub-freezing temperatures.

We maxed out at 30 and the saving grace was their was quite a bit of sleet mixed in overnight. We still picked up about 0.35" of ice but considering we were forecasted to get 0.5-0.9" we didn't get their. It's enough to cause some traveling problems but I didn't see a single tree, branch or power line down. A bigger problem seems to be standing water where some of the rain has pooled with no place to go thanks to the solid snow pack. We also were not called out for a single call last night. I was expecting numerous accident calls and activated fire alarms/down wires. I will be doing a final surface analysis.

Interesting that JFK dropped back to 33 with a north winds at 10am after hitting 35 an hour ago not much is going to melt anymore if temps leveled off. In Brooklyn it's 34 temps steady also a north wind now.

Time

EST (UTC) Temperature

F © Dew Point

F © Pressure

Inches (hPa) Wind

MPH Weather

Latest 10 AM (15) Feb 02 33 (1) 32 (0) 29.72 (1006) N 13 light drizzle; mist

9 AM (14) Feb 02 35 (2) 33 (1) 29.74 (1007) NE 5 light rain; mist

8 AM (13) Feb 02 35.1 (1.7) 32.0 (0.0) 29.81 (1009) E 14 rain; mist

7 AM (12) Feb 02 34.0 (1.1) 30.0 (-1.1) 29.9 (1012) E 14 light rain; mist

Archived