• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC Area February 1st-2nd OBS and Discussion Continued...

Rib

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting that JFK dropped back to 33 with a north winds at 10am after hitting 35 an hour ago not much is going to melt anymore if temps leveled off. In Brooklyn it's 34 temps steady also a north wind now.

Good point, things are starting to cool down again.

I think theres a north wind here, cant tell because my anemometer is caked in ice at the moment

Latest surface analysis shows a 1003 mb low pressure system located on the PA/NY border about 150 miles east of Lake Erie moving into upstate NY. A second 1007mb low pressure system is located just south of Long Island. A broad area of high pressure is still located over SE Canada and in firm control. Pressure is rising steadily over the mid-west. Most of the steady precip had left the region with just spotty freezing drizzle/drizzle over the area.

pchg.gif?1296661684036

A view of the critical thicknesses showed that the atmosphere was above freezing at all levels except the surface. The freezing line is located more or less right along I-95 and is expected to continue to slowly move north westward. The far NW probably will remain below freezing all day. As of 11AM, most of the origional ICW areas were still under a warning, however most of them should be dropped shortly.

thck.gif?1296661804067

Yep, snowpack took a hit but not as bad as it could have been with a lakes cutter

The coldest temps I can find on Long Island are 32.4 at Syosset and 32.7 at Centerport. The tange in temps is interesting, as its 46 at Westhampton Beach. The 50s arent far away-- its 54 at Miller, NJ!

Dont feel so bad, its plain rain clear to Boston!

post-143-0-80923500-1296661952.jpg

Latest surface analysis shows a 1003 mb low pressure system located on the PA/NY border about 150 miles east of Lake Erie moving into upstate NY. A second 1007mb low pressure system is located just south of Long Island. A broad area of high pressure is still located over SE Canada and in firm control. Pressure is rising steadily over the mid-west. Most of the steady precip had left the region with just spotty freezing drizzle/drizzle over the area.

pchg.gif?1296661684036

A view of the critical thicknesses showed that the atmosphere was above freezing at all levels except the surface. The freezing line is located more or less right along I-95 and is expected to continue to slowly move north westward. The far NW probably will remain below freezing all day. As of 11AM, most of the origional ICW areas were still under a warning, however most of them should be dropped shortly.

thck.gif?1296661804067

I give you full marks for updating us with these types of maps throughout the storm and implore you to do the same even when the setup is not similar to this with future events. I loved seeing the pressure changes maps throughout this storm. It gave a better understanding to why things were happeneing the way they were. The maps can also give us amunition to really compare the modeling of these complex features and see how well they did verification wise with regard to positioning and strength of really key elements of winter storms in this region.

Good thing I had my umbrella on my wat to work this morning - wind was shaking the branches and cracking off pretty big chunks of ice that were falling from the trees. According to Twitter reports large chunks of ice have been plummeting off of skyscrapers today - yikes!

Everything is melted and there are actually huge puddles that are quite deep forming around as I suspect the ice has blocked many of the drains. Hovering right around 33F here for now with light drizzle.

I give you full marks for updating us with these types of maps throughout the storm and implore you to do the same even when the setup is not similar to this with future events. I loved seeing the pressure changes maps throughout this storm. It gave a better understanding to why things were happeneing the way they were. The maps can also give us amunition to really compare the modeling of these complex features and see how well they did verification wise with regard to positioning and strength of really key elements of winter storms in this region.

Yes, I agree :thumbsup: I've been looking for that pressure change map myself, but no luck yet..

Alot of those maps can be found by going to http://www.spc.noaa.gov/. Thanks for the compliments. I'm not a met but I enjoy analysising model verification especially during events in which slight variances can be quite critical.

I am glad you are doing that. I have been clamoring for someone that has the time to do it to take it on. I would so do verification analysis but my time is not abundant enough to do it. If you have any comparisons or verification results by storm event you are willing to share with us, don't hold back, lol. ;):thumbsup:

People that woke up late,

At 7am it was a much different scene. Ice was all over and every sidewalk was iced over as well as every side street.

Took a while getting the car out of the driveway and walking in the street was pretty much impossible without slipping all over the place. All the trees were caked in ice as well. Havent seen so much ice in a long time.

Don't think snowfall took much of a hit at all.

Thanks again. I know its off topic but I'm already busy tracking the next two events. The event coming this weekend doesn't really impress me due to lack of organization. At hr 66 the 12z GFS drops in a piece of energy through MN which misses the phase taking place over the lower MS valley. Interestingly at hr 72 that feature closes off at 500mb over Wisconsin but then re-opens at hr 78. The NAM is worlds apart with the same feature. The 12z GFS would give much of interior NE another nice snowstorm but for our area it looks like too little too late. The trough really amps up on the 12z GFS when that feature over Wisconsin closes off at 500mb sending warm temps north. Unlike our current system, this looks like it won't have a good high to work with. Instead, a high over the MA early in the period keeps most of the energy supressed over the SE until it slides eastward helping the trough to amplify. If the orientation of that high shifts I could see us thread the needle but there will still be no blocking in place. I'm much more interested to see what happens with another possible event in the 10 day period when the PNA holds positive and the NAO looks to possibly go negitive. The system over the weekend could even end up as a 50/50 low and help induce blocking. I think the signal is strong for a major event in about 10-14 days.

LOL at this quote from Jeff Masters' blog (posted at noon) - time to check the radar and current obs before posting:

http://classic.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1740

The great storm's fury now turns to New England. Boston received 9.7” of snow as of 7am from the storm, and another 4 – 8” is on the way today. Heavy snows in excess of 6 inches are expected in a swath extending from central New York through Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine today. Up to 1/4” of ice is expected through New England along the southern edge of the heavy snow belt. Cities near the coast such as New York City and Philadelphia will receive mostly rain from the storm, though.

Archived