• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC Area February 1st-2nd OBS and Discussion Continued...

Rib

The school district closed school for the day because of the ice so everyone can stay home (which I think is a smart move)

starting to get a little concerned about losing power with each wind gust causing some branches to break

Driveway and sidewalks are a sheet of ice so can't really go anywhere

But at least I got my heaters and hot chocolate to last me for the day :thumbsup:

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Total ice with yesterday's amounts is about .4 - .5 inches. That's a solid hit of ice. If you touch the snowpack it's a solid mass. Whatever rain falls today with temps barely above freezing won't even melt the ice that fell over the last 36 hours, let alone hurt the snowpack.

Seems to be only about 1/3" of ice here in New Brunswick which is of course nothing to sneeze at but perhaps we missed the worst of the ice just slightly. Everything's coated and now there are huge piles of liquid water everywhere not making it any easier to get around outside...

This is by far the worst ice event I've experienced in a while, it took me a half hour to chip away my car. I'm worried about damage from the tree branches because they are completely caked in ice. Any wind could cause more branches to fall today. I will gladly trade an ice storm for a snowstorm any day because this is just a dangerous pain.

Exactly - up here we are at about 1.5 inches of that combination - side roads are a mess but once you get on highways and a bit further south down route 23 not too bad on the main road - just got to work in manhattan - have to take it slow. Took a little longer than usual obviously but nothing too crazy up here like people were worried about.

Probably 2" of combined snow, sleet and ice but highly doubt 2" of ice accretion

A little over .5" of ice caked on everything. I was up before it changed to freezing rain and we had over 1" of sleet accumulated. Temp now is hovering around 28* depending on how hard it's raining. Heavier rain and it goes up, lighter rain and it drops back down. Haven't seen a plow on my hill yet and nothing is moving. I tried to walk to the corner and couldn't make it up the five foot rise :arrowhead:

Is that blob over OH/MI heading this way for tonight? :lightning:

Man walking to school was horrible, every student walking down the hill to my school almost slipped. Walking to the train station to go to school led me to slip and fall as I crossed the street, almost breaking my ankle, but I'm ok.

Yeah, bloomberg should have closed schools. It's bad outside, and with little rain falling, and the storm ending, things are gonna be bad.

Archived