joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 10

Hoosier

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really think the best word to describe this storm is violent. Projectiles were flying, thunder was banging, hail/graupel were pounding and the snow was everywhere. I think i'll see more snow some day and i'm sure a derecho will deliver a better gust but this storm produced at such an intense high level for so long it was really mindblowing.

I thought the wicker patio chair in the front yard next door was theirs. When shoveling they just flipped it upright and left it there. Everyone around here but them have fences. I have no idea where it came from :lol:

Took me 3 hours to shovel my 2 car driveway. Screw the sidewalks (I even stacked driveway snow up against it) - they can reopen in June. Pics later but I am beat and need to nap. Basically the entire south side of my front yard from house to street is 5-6 feet high now

I can't get enough of people who were stranded on Lake Shore Drive blaming the city for it. They should have been removed from their cars and tossed into the lake.

You ignored all the warnings and took a road with limited exits. You took the chance, it didn't work out. That wasn't the city's fault. Hell, many of you ran out of gas. Exactly how does that happen if you pay attention to the "run the car 10 minutes every hour" rule? Oh that's right, you went to work with a 1/8 tank Tuesday morning.

:lmao:

There was girl here that I watched warm up her car for 30 minutes, trying to get the sleet/ice/snow off the windows. Then she tried to get of her parking spot...spun her tires, went 3 inches...shut it off and went back inside. This sleet pack is a b****. And oh man is it snowing here right now. Beautiful. :snowman:

i always thought sleet had more traction?

ive never seen probably more than 1/2 inch of sleet in my life.

maybe more mixed in with a heavy snowfall, but not just a sleet pack :lol:

must be wierd

must be wierd

Last night it was like walking in quicksand but it seems to be getting more solid.

well by the time the storm got over to ottawa and montreal, we got about 2-3 hour period of near blizzard to blizzard conditions during and after the commute, it was intense for sure. school buses were cancelled but schools open as the storm blew in just around dawn.

intensity at that time at the peak later, rivaled december 15.07 but didnt last as long as that superband. now just light accumlating snow continues as the remanat h7 low traverses the area.

what made it more of a storm here more than anything was the strong winds combined with the bitter temps in the single digits with chills in the -20s.

drylsot approached ottawa for a short time, WELL further north than any model had predicted.

of course most people here thoguht the brunt of the storm was going to push through toronto and south of the area.....they can handle storms here but the intensity of the band coincidiing with the rush hour commute and cold temps made for a memorable event.

still snowing, will probably make final range of accums....will post totals when official reports arrive.....but 6-10 range seems likely.

must be wierd

The stuff was relatively deep, for sleet anyway. Top layer was "mushy" last night, but it was a block of ice underneath. Top it off a thin layer of FZDZ and a couple inches of snow overnight/today and it was a glacier. Nothing more, nothing less. Driving through it isn't the best of times. Never personally seen this amount of PL. Pretty cool though as a booby prize.

i know some people got screwed, and im probably in a better mood because this far northeast didnt expect as much....

but what an absolutely epic storm this was in the MW.

one of the all time best i have ever seen.

Someone always get screwed, just the nature of the beast. Hell I'm probably too giddy about the epic sleet storm here. Of course the fat snow flakes this morning made up for a little of the loss. But it was a region wide event where some people witnessed stuff they've never seen before. Granted I was born in Chicago and grew up in NE IL, so it makes it a little more special for me to witness what went on up there. It was totally worthwhile for me to participate and enjoy the ups and downs with everyone...even if MBY wasn't in the sweet spot. Truly a historic storm for the Midwest and one that I'm glad I was a part of from the beginning to the end.

Based on a range of measuremenrs I came up with 17.8" as a storm total (1.0" frontogentic/LE+16.8" main system/LE).

Snow drifts are up to 4-5 feet.

No signs of any plows around here yet, so i'm not going anywhere anytime soon.

Video up later...

A plow finally comes to clear the culdesac and he ends up getting stuck. :lmao:

measured in a few more undrifted spots behind my house, average 3 to come up with 20.1" for a total

Batavia schools already closed for tomorrow, wondering if COD will do the same.

I got a 21.5" storm total here in Geneva. I was surprised by some of the reports down in Batavia (jn particular) that were coming in with only a foot or 13". I have more confidence in my total now.

Once that sleet pack freezes it becomes a glacier - especially if you had ZR on top of the sleet. You need a patented Jebman Shovel, one of those steel shovels with a square edge and also a pick - and a hell of a LOT of time on your hands, and a truckload of breaks, because it is hell to hack thru a fully glaciated sleetpack. I found out about that in 1993-94 when we got 3-4 inches of pure sleet. The next day it was solid ice and I was the only one walking anywhere - Everyone else had busted hipbones.

Once that sleet pack freezes it becomes a glacier - especially if you had ZR on top of the sleet. You need a patented Jebman Shovel, one of those steel shovels with a square edge and also a pick - and a hell of a LOT of time on your hands, and a truckload of breaks, because it is hell to hack thru a fully glaciated sleetpack. I found out about that in 1993-94 when we got 3-4 inches of pure sleet. The next day it was solid ice and I was the only one walking anywhere - Everyone else had busted hipbones.

Your sig rocksthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Your commentary rocks! I loved reading everything you had to say last night and today. I learned so much! It was like I was RIGHT THERE IN THE CHICAGO BLIZZARD - all because of your commentary!

thumbsupsmileyanim.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

It was a unique storm--a lot of good commentary from everyone. I think there is a ton to learn from this one like all big storms. smile.gif

It's crazy...everybody is spinning their tires. It's mostly a glacier but then some areas suddenly give way which causes you to lose your footing. We're supposed to get below zero too.

Archived