Newest Member
    12bet1 net
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 10

Hoosier

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+SN.. Royal Oak Michigan. Snow totals approaching forecast amounts

Yep, in the end the amounts pretty much hit the low end of the forecast amount. Was still a small bust, but not as bad as many feared. Pretty much all of SE MI had two day totals of 7-14" as opposed to 10-15".

Ratios oscillated quite a bit, heres the storm post mortum here

Now Im not saying it wasnt a bust at all, but in general only a few inches below the forecast, and that was more a product or poor ratios at times with sleet. Looks like a widespread 2-day total from the Saginaw Valley down to the Ohio border of 7-14".

Heres the snow/liquid post mortem here imby

2-7am Feb 1st: P- 0.08", S- 1.3"

6p-12a Feb 1st: P- 0.43", S- 5.2"

12a-7a Feb 2nd: P- 0.29", S- 2.1"

7a-4p Feb 2nd: P- 0.07", S- 1.5 "

Up to 5.7" as 5pm. Might get another tenth, maybe two, but it doesn't look like I'll hit the half a foot mark. Doesn't matter as my threshold for success for this storm was 10".

This was a real nothing storm here. Less than 6 inches of snow dropped over the course of 18 hours with lots of breaks in the snow. The winds were their gustiest early this morning, coinciding with the heaviest snow, so for less than an hour there was near blizzard conditions, but nothing truly remarkable. You'd see the same scene with a wind whipped snowsquall.

The 5.7" I received from east wind LES back on Jan 8 was much more exhilarating.

It's crazy...everybody is spinning their tires. It's mostly a glacier but then some areas suddenly give way which causes you to lose your footing. We're supposed to get below zero too.

I just took a 7.5" measure of pure sleet or rather glacier...used a shovel to get to the bottom of my snow board. Unreal, never have seen anything like this. We have 2-3 1ft drifts on the drive, pure sleet capped with ice. My nephews jeep just drove up and on top of both, and never sunk/dented/ or sunk. Not quite sure what to do with it all, and considering a 1-2" event this weekend and however M-W plays out next week. No complaints though

Good, sounds like the trip back home was well worth it.

BTW, we surpassed 40. Granted a lot of was sleet with this storm, but it still counts. :guitar:

Yes, VERY well worth it. :) I don't know how much snow is out there, but it's a lot. We got a lot from Lake Effect today. If I had to guess, I'd say our total was anywhere from 14-20" of snow. I'm going to attempt a measurement in a little bit when the lake effect shuts off.

The only positive is the snowdepth. 13" with growing piles. Looks like the dead of winter out there.

Same here. 13" with massive snowbanks from all the numerous snowfalls. Though we started with a 6" pack and had a 36-hour total snowfall of 10.1", depth is at 13" (with a 1.5" water equiv) from drifting and sleet packing it done. Its not budging ANYTIME soon, and is the best snowpack since Jan 2009, but will probably become best since Jan 1999 soon.

I just took a 7.5" measure of pure sleet or rather glacier...used a shovel to get to the bottom of my snow board. Unreal, never have seen anything like this. We have 2-3 1ft drifts on the drive, pure sleet capped with ice. My nephews jeep just drove up and on top of both, and never sunk/dented/ or sunk. Not quite sure what to do with it all, and considering a 1-2" event this weekend and however M-W plays out next week. No complaints though

Going below zero the next two nights too. If people here and Muncie and the whole sleet zone don't do some shoveling/digging out very soon...it won't be pretty.

Yes, VERY well worth it. :) I don't know how much snow is out there, but it's a lot. We got a lot from Lake Effect today. If I had to guess, I'd say our total was anywhere from 14-20" of snow. I'm going to attempt a measurement in a little bit when the lake effect shuts off.

That would be close to the biggest storm you can remember, no?

I never in my wildest dreams thought we would experience the major problems that are occurring across the county due to sleet. They literally cannot get the sleet removed from area roadways. It is absolutely crazy. The plows have been out with chains on their tires and they can't get underneath the 3-4" of solid sleet (which had freezing rain on top of it) to try to scrape it away. Needless to say, our county remains shut down and all roadways are closed except to emergency traffic. Just insane to think about sleet doing that, as most of the time sleet is definitely your friend since it is one of the easiest winter precipitation types to manage.

Currently we have large dendrites falling and have picked up about 2 inches of extremely fluffy snow since about noon.

180572_850395688268_20715817_45520673_6453413_n.jpg

I never in my wildest dreams thought we would experience the major problems that are occurring across the county due to sleet. They literally cannot get the sleet removed from area roadways. It is absolutely crazy. The plows have been out with chains on their tires and they can't get underneath the 3-4" of solid sleet (which had freezing rain on top of it) to try to scrape it away. Needless to say, our county remains shut down and all roadways are closed except to emergency traffic. Just insane to think about sleet doing that, as most of the time sleet is definitely your friend since it is one of the easiest winter precipitation types to manage.

Currently we have large dendrites falling and have picked up about 2 inches of extremely fluffy snow since about noon.

180572_850395688268_20715817_45520673_6453413_n.jpg

Agree, it is rather remarkable to think it has had that influence. This afternoon, the county told their plows to raise their blades and no longer plow, as the sleet was unmanageable and what was underneath was a skating rink. All things closed again tomorrow, 3rd day in a row. After 20 years of "working for the man" am glad I own my own business now, and can be reasonable as it relates to travel.

I've had more than that in my yard for the better part of the last 6 weeks devilsmiley.gif

And I live in the tropics of NYC metro.

yeah you guys are having a historic winter. Its been an excellent winter here for snowcover, which for me is the most important part of winter. Lots of frequent snowfall but no historic storms, you guys have had what, 3 lol? Outside of Jan 1-4th, the ground has been covered in snow since early December, and with what we have, and more snow on the way this week, it looks like this winter will be one of constant snowcover. Perhaps even challenging all time record for DTW? (the record is 91 days of 1"+ snowcover in 1977-78, we are already at 50 days, which is average for an ENTIRE winter).

yeah you guys are having a historic winter. Its been an excellent winter here for snowcover, which for me is the most important part of winter. Lots of frequent snowfall but no historic storms, you guys have had what, 3 lol? Outside of Jan 1-4th, the ground has been covered in snow since early December, and with what we have, and more snow on the way this week, it looks like this winter will be one of constant snowcover. Perhaps even challenging all time record for DTW? (the record is 91 days of 1"+ snowcover in 1977-78, we are already at 50 days, which is average for an ENTIRE winter).

We've had three historic storms...Boxing Day, January 12th, and January 27th...I had 13", 14.5", and 14" in those events respectively...Central Park had 20" in Boxing Day and 19" in the most recent storm. These major snowfalls have been interspersed with lots of nickel-and-dime events to keep the snowpack fresh, as I've also had a 5" storm and a 4" storm this month as well as two ice/sleet events...I'm close to 60" on the season compared to a 36.6" annual average for my suburban town.

It sounds as if your winter is rapidly picking up in Michigan. I have to wonder how high this winter ranks in terms of national snowcover, if there are any stats available on what percentage of the country has been covered for how long, how much the average depth is for each state, etc. The recent storm brought heavy snowfall from Denver to Chicago to Boston, and we've had several other large systems such as the Boxing Day storm, so everyone has been involved. As much as I considered 09-10 an historic winter for the US, 10-11 might be even more impressive, especially considering that we've seen more extreme cold.

OMG what a lot of work to dig the cars out. My SO's car had snow drifts up over the trunk and about as high on the passenger side as well. My car had about three to three and a half foot drifts pretty much encasing it. I have spent half of my waking hours today digging out our cars and a couple of the neighbors as well. This is by far the most snow I have personally ever seen from one storm. Looks like the heaviest totals were from Racine down thru Chicago and back towards RFD, MLI, then right down to about Joplin Mo and Tulsa Ok. Another little zone appears to be centered from Galesburg to Macomb as well. Something though doesn't add up with MLI's totals.... total snow yesterday, the first bought Monday afternoon/evening, and this morning doesn't come up to 16.7 by my counting. Seems like they are leaving off the snow from Monday in the totals.

We've had three historic storms...Boxing Day, January 12th, and January 27th...I had 13", 14.5", and 14" in those events respectively...Central Park had 20" in Boxing Day and 19" in the most recent storm. These major snowfalls have been interspersed with lots of nickel-and-dime events to keep the snowpack fresh, as I've also had a 5" storm and a 4" storm this month as well as two ice/sleet events...I'm close to 60" on the season compared to a 36.6" annual average for my suburban town.

It sounds as if your winter is rapidly picking up in Michigan. I have to wonder how high this winter ranks in terms of national snowcover, if there are any stats available on what percentage of the country has been covered for how long, how much the average depth is for each state, etc. The recent storm brought heavy snowfall from Denver to Chicago to Boston, and we've had several other large systems such as the Boxing Day storm, so everyone has been involved. As much as I considered 09-10 an historic winter for the US, 10-11 might be even more impressive, especially considering that we've seen more extreme cold.

Yeah it has picked up, over 28" of snow in the last 4 weeks. Have had only 5 days with no snow falling at some point during the calendar day in the last 5 weeks.

As a stats person, I dont even know if theres a way to figure it out, but absolutely yes snowcover has DEFINITELY been above normal in many areas, the last thing youd expect in a La Nina of all things. I was checking some of the f6s out east with the historic snow. Why the heck does Boston and surrounding area not report snow depth? They are like the only NWS area who doesnt do that. Sucks in a winter as deep as this is for them.

Our region missed out on a historic winter last year (tho we did have near-record snow in Feb), but we had near historic winters in 2007-08 & 2008-09. Dont know how else to put it, if the past decade is ANY indication, the winters are getting snowier.

Something though doesn't add up with MLI's totals.... total snow yesterday, the first bought Monday afternoon/evening, and this morning doesn't come up to 16.7 by my counting. Seems like they are leaving off the snow from Monday in the totals.

LOT pretty much did the samething with ORD's total.

Monday afternoon-Tuesday mornings frontogentic/LE precip dropped 1.2" at ORD. They only added 0.2" of this to the overall final system total of 20.2".

LOT pretty much did the samethign with ORD's total.

Monday afternoon-Tuesday mornings frontogentic/LE precip dropped 1.2" at ORD. They only added 0.2" of this to the overall final system total of 20.2".

DTX and GRR are doing the same. Wtf? NWS offices used to always consider a situation like this a storm total, now they are all gypping the waa snow. DTWs Feb 1/2 total is 10.3" but the storm total goes in at 9.0".

Archived