joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 10

Hoosier

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yay or nay for dethroning 99 in terms of ORD modern era snowstorms?

This one has to top Jan 1999 for Chicago. Snowfall looks close, but the winds were much more ferocious with this one than '99. Not to say '99 wasn't a phenomenal storm, but for Chicago, I think this may rank side by side with the all time greatest...Jan 1967. And I don't think that's a stretch.

This one has to top Jan 1999 for Chicago. Snowfall looks close, but the winds were much more ferocious with this one than '99. Not to say '99 wasn't a phenomenal storm, but for Chicago, I think this may rank side by side with the all time greatest...Jan 1967. And I don't think that's a stretch.

Take it for what it's worth but my mom was 13 years old in 1967...lived through it...remembers it vividly...and she said the drifting/overall impact is at least as bad if not worse.

Take it for what it's worth but my mom was 13 years old in 1967...lived through it...remembers it vividly...and she said the drifting/overall impact is at least as bad if not worse.

Based off the chatter I'm hearing, I believe it. I'll have to ask my mom too, as she witnessed Jan 1967 as well. Of course the forecasts/predictions for this storm were about 1000 times better than back in Jan 1967. Not that it matters, but it's true.

BTW, I got 6-7" of a combo of sleet/snow/concrete depth out on the sidewalk here at work. Want to come over and help me dig out? :guitar:

Based off the chatter I'm hearing, I believe it. I'll have to ask my mom too, as she witnessed Jan 1967 as well. Of course the forecasts/predictions for this storm were about 1000 times better than back in Jan 1967. Not that it matters, but it's true.

BTW, I got 6-7" of a combo of sleet/snow/concrete depth out on the sidewalk here at work. Want to come over and help me dig out? :guitar:

No thanks. :)

Hate how the jinx analog storm is now going to be different across the region. I liked it better when it was universal. :(

Still snowing like crazy. Some drifts are up to my neck (6'3), but that may be because I am in a more rural setting. Unbelievable storm.

Good, sounds like the trip back home was well worth it.

BTW, we surpassed 40. Granted a lot of was sleet with this storm, but it still counts. :guitar:

Hate how the jinx analog storm is now going to be different across the region. I liked it better when it was universal. :(

99 was never really universal. For here the top 3 are Jan 67, 78, 79 and then 99. Granted snowfall wise 99 beats out 79 but only because 99 had help with the lake stuff on the backside.

This storm is not even close to any of them for here anyways. Still a very decent storm though.

I really think the best word to describe this storm is violent. Projectiles were flying, thunder was banging, hail/graupel were pounding and the snow was everywhere. I think i'll see more snow some day and i'm sure a derecho will deliver a better gust but this storm produced at such an intense high level for so long it was really mindblowing.

I really think the best word to describe this storm is violent. Projectiles were flying, thunder was banging, hail/graupel were pounding and the snow was everywhere. I think i'll see more snow some day and i'm sure a derecho will deliver a better gust but this storm produced at such an intense high level for so long it was really mindblowing.

That's awesome man...glad you got to experience it. Cheers. :beer:

Archived