• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 10

Hoosier

Ended up with around a foot here overnight. Total since Monday near 14" or so. Not even close to any records here except maybe daily. Still a decent storm and my first true blizzard since the 80s. Such a shame that the SE part of this state got shafted so hard. Best totals around here was up towards Grand Rapids etc where some 18" totals were had. Per one of the guys at GRR i talked to on the phone Grand Rapids as well snagged it's all time daily snowfall record. That record here is 21" ( Jan 67 ) and thus not even close. #2 is Jan 78 with 18". Unsure of where this places. Not top 10 though. Still a decent storm with some nice drifting of over 3 feet in spots.

Congrats to the Chicago/N.IL etc posters! Epic it was out that way! :thumbsup:

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I experienced #2 and talking to people who experienced #1, #3 has dominated in terms of awe inspiring storm power.

It's interesting that we most often associate the "big ones" with snow amounts but there are other factors that go into it. While we only ended up with 9.1", the weather I experienced around 2am this morning was by far the most intense, powerful winter weather i have ever seen. Maybe the most powerful weather event overall... Granted areas 75-100 miles south of me experienced the same conditions but also cashed in with 20+ inches of snow.

Just wish it would have been daytime at the peak. Would have been awesome to see.

Made it in to work...the only places I saw open were a Tanning place and now here. Sam's Club, Marsh, Taco Bell, the Mall, a smaller Mall, all city and county offices, banks, Purdue, etc..all closed for the day. Yet I know a place that's open and you can get golf equipment real cheap right now. :whistle:

Ended up with around a foot here overnight. Total since Monday near 14" or so. Not even close to any records here except maybe daily. Still a decent storm and my first true blizzard since the 80s. Such a shame that the SE part of this state got shafted so hard. Best totals around here was up towards Grand Rapids etc where some 18" totals were had. Per one of the guys at GRR i talked to on the phone Grand Rapids as well snagged it's all time daily snowfall record. That record here is 21" ( Jan 67 ) and thus not even close. #2 is Jan 78 with 18". Unsure of where this places. Not top 10 though. Still a decent storm with some nice drifting of over 3 feet in spots.

Congrats to the Chicago/N.IL etc posters! Epic it was out that way! :thumbsup:

We got hammered overnight, I sort of want to measure but I think I am gonna leave that to the pros at GRR with all the drifting that occurred. Considering our all time record is (or maybe was at this point) 16.1 inches, and eyeing the snow outside I am fairly confident we beat that.

Based on a range of measuremenrs I came up with 17.8" as a storm total (1.0" frontogentic/LE+16.8" main system/LE).

Snow drifts are up to 4-5 feet.

No signs of any plows around here yet, so i'm not going anywhere anytime soon.

Video up later...

Edit: Revised total of 20.0" after looking into things more.

EURO has another cutter at HR 102-126. Obviously not as strong as this one, but Chi Town gets .5-.75 along with SE Michigan. Widespread .25-.5 qpf as well accross a lot of the areas.

La Nina is asserting itself. Your region of the conus will see snow after snow in Feb and March - And I will cheer you on, every step of the waythumbsupsmileyanim.gifSnowman.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gifSnowman.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gifSnowman.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Chicago will set new all time snow records, rest assured

Archived