Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA Start of February

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice! I am 21 and just BECAME a meteorologist! Well at least got my BS in meteo haha.

So the Walker building had a wind shift around 5:30 and the temperature dropped from 31 to 29 now. Let's see how low it can go!

If you can, keep us updated on temps out your way too.

TIA!

That would be great. Keep us updated on temps!

I haven't cracked above 20 all day. It is now back down to 19.. Going to be interesting to see if i can pull some sleet out of this tonight as well.. Looking mighty dangerous for icing up this way :(.

I also had 4.5 inches of snow this morning with the overrunning, I was on the southern edge of the bands.. Turned over to a mix of snow and sleet around 10 am.

Here in state college things are getting very interesting. Was in the gym for 2 hours...before I went in there was only a slight glaze on benches, signs, etc....when I came out everything including sidewalks and roads were very icy. Temps dropped 3 degrees over that time as well. If the warm layer remains thick enough and we remain all freezing rain overnight, a solid half inch of ice accumulation would not surprise me. This is probably our best shot at having a day off in the 4 years I've been here, but I still highly doubt it, maybe a delay??

Nice! I am 21 and just BECAME a meteorologist! Well at least got my BS in meteo haha.

So the Walker building had a wind shift around 5:30 and the temperature dropped from 31 to 29 now. Let's see how low it can go!

Same haha, i just graduated with my bachelor's in August.. cept i'm gonna be 25 next month. That's what starting the first 2 years as an engineering major and some trials and tribulations with some of those pain in the butt high end calc classes will do sometimes. :lol:

Here in state college things are getting very interesting. Was in the gym for 2 hours...before I went in there was only a slight glaze on benches, signs, etc....when I came out everything including sidewalks and roads were very icy. Temps dropped 3 degrees over that time as well. If the warm layer remains thick enough and we remain all freezing rain overnight, a solid half inch of ice accumulation would not surprise me. This is probably our best shot at having a day off in the 4 years I've been here, but I still highly doubt it, maybe a delay??

I would wager on a delay but closing is an outside possibility especially if roads are very bad. The hillsides leading into campus will probably be iceskating rinks if this keeps up, and the heavy stuff will accrete in a hurry if temps stay in the 20s.In that case, even if they didn't close I wouldn't go unless there was something very important going on.

Weather World didn't paint much of a storm for anyone. Only 1-3" of sleet in the north, glaze to a coating of ice in central, rain in west and I forget what they said about the east (I'm in my 70's so cut me a break). Anyway all over and out of here by morning. Gotta love those guys - never a hype machine and right more times than not. I've been watching them since Joel Myers and Bastardi and Abrams were on.

v

Wow... we have a great mix. I'm 33.

Jamie, let me know how much your temp moves this evening. We're holding at 34, tough forecast over this way wrt ice or plain rain.

No prob. It's down to 26.4 right now.

Think both of our central PA TV mets on here did an excellent job communicating the risks and issues with this storm, btw.

Weather World didn't paint much of a storm for anyone. Only 1-3" of sleet in the north, glaze to a coating of ice in central, rain in west and I forget what they said about the east (I'm in my 70's so cut me a break). Anyway all over and out of here by morning. Gotta love those guys - never a hype machine and right more times than not. I've been watching them since Joel Myers and Bastardi and Abrams were on.

Yeah, same here.

Marisa did mention the power outage factor but I think she sometimes doesn't communicate the risks that well, to understated.

v

No prob. It's down to 26.4 right now.

Think both of our central PA TV mets on here did an excellent job communicating the risks and issues with this storm, btw.

Thank you, Jamie. This is a difficult storm to communicate because there is still some uncertainty on whether our southern and western areas get back below freezing.

We have some light rain and drizzle here in Altoona. It's 31, but nothing is really freezing.

I did not clear my driveway today. I did run to the doctors froa check up and hit some freezing drizzle. I figure if we get .5 inches of freezing rain, I think that I will not have to deal with ice.

I am one of the older ones here... 49... if I were to do it over again, I would go down the met path.

Archived