Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA Start of February

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just took a quick walk around my apartment complex...sidewalks and parking lot are completely coated with a sheet of ice from the light drizzle we had earlier. It's almost perfectly smooth...zero traction. Saw two cars try to leave the complex...one succeeded after spinning his tires the whole way across the lot...the other guy gave up...he could barely even get back into his parking spot. Roads are slushy for the most part, but there are patches of ice developing. Nasty and raw with a light breeze from the northeast. 26­°

Just took a quick walk around my apartment complex...sidewalks and parking lot are completely coated with a sheet of ice from the light drizzle we had earlier. It's almost perfectly smooth...zero traction. Saw two cars try to leave the complex...one succeeded after spinning his tires the whole way across the lot...the other guy gave up...he could barely even get back into his parking spot. Roads are slushy for the most part, but there are patches of ice developing. Nasty and raw with a light breeze from the northeast. 26­°

Yea I live closer to downtown and sidewalks are a sheet of ice. I just walked out onto my balcony and people were falling left and right. Should be a very interesting night.

Yea I live closer to downtown and sidewalks are a sheet of ice. I just walked out onto my balcony and people were falling left and right. Should be a very interesting night.

I am about to head out too. Can't wait to see what effects 0.5" of ice can do if just a glaze is this bad. Want to come to cafe 210 with us other weather-nerds, Jesse? laugh.gif

Down to 28.5 at the Walker building, 26 at the airport...

I am about to head out too. Can't wait to see what effects 0.5" of ice can do if just a glaze is this bad. Want to come to cafe 210 with us other weather-nerds, Jesse? laugh.gif

Down to 28.5 at the Walker building, 26 at the airport...

Haha I just may Josh. What are your thoughts on what will happen when the heavier precip arrives?? Do you think it will be too heavy to freeze upon contact or is it cold enough to actually create half inch ice accumulations?

We had E winds about 2hrs ago in Lancaster however the direction has shifted to NE. Our air is coming your way!

You can see the cold wedge advancing SE on the obs., 29-30 degrees here in counties along the river,but just to the N and E Chest. Berks, Montgy. they are mid twentys or lower, interesting.

Map showing the warm air running up the Susquehanna Valley and the cold wedge in the east as of 7:10PM.

Map seems a bit different than this:

CITY SKY/WX TMP DP RH WIND PRES REMARKS

BRADFORD CLOUDY 19 18 95 NE7 30.03F FOG

DUBOIS CLOUDY 30 29 96 E9 29.99S FOG

CLEARFIELD CLOUDY 28 27 93 E9 30.04S FOG

JOHNSTOWN FOG 33 32 96 E6 29.93F VSB 1/4

ALTOONA FOG 31 29 92 N9 30.03F VSB 1/2

STATE COLLEGE MIX PCPN 27 26 98 NE6 30.08S

WILLIAMSPORT CLOUDY 30 27 88 CALM 30.15F

SELINSGROVE CLOUDY 30 28 92 N3 30.16S FOG

FT INDIANTOWN CLOUDY 29 28 98 E6 30.16S FOG

CAPITAL CITY MIX PCPN 30 27 88 E7 30.15S FOG

HARRISBURG FRZ RAIN 30 27 88 E3 30.15S FOG

YORK FOG 30 28 93 E5 30.13F VSB 1

Haha I just may Josh. What are your thoughts on what will happen when the heavier precip arrives?? Do you think it will be too heavy to freeze upon contact or is it cold enough to actually create half inch ice accumulations?

I still think we have a degree or two to go still of cooling. Since we're already at around 27, I think we'll be at 25-26 when the heavier stuff arrives. That should be plenty cold enough to build up ice, especially with a glaze on surfaces already.

Looks like precip is really blossoming around western PA.I believe this was not shown on the 18z NAM this far east. So steady ZR is only a few hours away...

Holy ice rink, Batman. Harrisburg/Camp Hill are insanely slippery already. Parking lots are impossible to get traction on and roads are quickly losing theirs - Front Street is probably an hour away from being just like the parking lots.

We went to eat at Confit in Camp Hill and had to use our bucket o' gravel in the car to get out of the lot. Light zr continues here in midtown.

Thank you, Jamie. This is a difficult storm to communicate because there is still some uncertainty on whether our southern and western areas get back below freezing.

We have some light rain and drizzle here in Altoona. It's 31, but nothing is really freezing.

The precip is on the doorstep, starting to get some light freezing rain again. The Lacrosse wireless has 31.1ºF here and i took my handheld outside and got a few tenths under 30ºF with about a 26 degree dewpoint. Was a lil suspect of the dewpoint but it's pretty close to the KUNV one. The lil bit of rain we've had this evening has fairly easily frozen on all surfaces. Gonna be a pretty rough night methinks.

Archived